What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation (1 Viewer)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Just saw this offer on Fandango.. Free download of one of the other Mission Impossible films...

Fandango VIPs get a FREE 'Mission: Impossible' movie download of your choice from select titles with ticket purchase.

Offer is valid from Monday at 9am PT – Tuesday at 9am PT during each of the following weeks beginning: 5/18/15, 5/25/15, 6/15/15, 6/22/15, 6/29/15, 7/6/15 and 7/13/15 at 9am PT through 8/3/15 at 9am PT. Offer ends 9:00am PT on 8/3/15, while supplies last. The promotional code expires March 23, 2017. Offer valid in the US only to residents 18 years of age or older. This is a promotional code and is not to be shared, is non-transferable, is not for resale, has no cash value, and will not be replaced if lost or stolen. Limit 1 movie download code per transaction regardless of the number of tickets purchased in a single transaction. Void where prohibited. Requires paramountmovies.com account. Compatible products and services required. Additional terms and conditions may apply. © Paramount Pictures.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Chris Will said:
Was any of this shot with IMAX cameras?
I don't think so. The movie is on the cover of the new issue of American Cinematographer and no mention of IMAX cameras in the article.

Looks like it was shot on traditional 35mm film, and then finished as a 2K DI. (Yet another new movie that won't benefit from 4K UHD)

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Josh Steinberg said:
I don't think so. The movie is on the cover of the new issue of American Cinematographer and no mention of IMAX cameras in the article.

Looks like it was shot on traditional 35mm film, and then finished as a 2K DI. (Yet another new movie that won't benefit from 4K UHD)

IMDB says it was shot with ArriAlexas (like 80% of most recent films) so there's no 4k anyway.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Lord Dalek said:
IMDB says it was shot with ArriAlexas (like 80% of most recent films) so there's no 4k anyway.
According to American Cinematographer, almost the entire movie was shot on 35mm film - it mentions that they used the Alexa for an underwater sequence but that Cruise himself insisted on film for the bulk of the movie. The article says the Cruise is a huge film fan and thinks he looks better on images captured on film vs digital, and so prefers film whenever possible - and since he's the producer of this movie as well as the star, they shot on film for the majority of it.

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
Lord Dalek said:

IMDB lists a ton of cameras used, including the Arri Alexa 65 which is used for IMAX image capture. Of course, there are Arriflex and Panavision film cameras used as well.

But, if the DI is 2k, then what was the point?

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Josh Steinberg said:
Everything I've read about UHD says that the increase in resolution is probably the least significant benefit. The wider color space along with high dynamic range (and the higher bit depth) seem to be the major benefit.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Wayne_j said:
I am wondering where content for Blu-Ray UHD will come from other than catalog titles.
There are already a few UHD titles with HRD that are available for download like Exodus, Kingsman, Life of Pi, and Maze Runner. Fox has said they will offer all their future releases (from these download sources and from the coming UHD Blu-ray) in HDR.

DOLBY recently announced that Pixels, MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE - ROGUE NATION, Everest, and Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2 will be playing in their Dolby Vision HRD theaters this year.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Very entertaining installment of the M:I franchise. McQuarrie (writer/director) had a good handle on the plot turns and the requisite action and spycraft motifs the audience expects in this sort of film.

Rebecca Ferguson was a solid addition to the cast, and she's got some amazing blue eyes. :) Didn't care much for the guy casted as the main bad guy, though.

I give it 3.5 stars, or a grade of B+.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
LOVED it. The best movie experience so far this year. Just a A-list cast that delivers. Truly entertaining....suspenseful and amazingly directed.

It's got Cool all over the screen. And a really good story. Totally agree with Patrick-Rebecca Ferguson has amazing eyes. And a damn nice face and body to boot.

Only issue I had is
there were no mentions of Ethan's wife. It's like that story line from previous films didn't happen?

Want to see again.

10/10

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Damn, I have a case of cabin fever due to my left leg in a fracture boot, so I'll limped myself on my crutches to see this at an early matinee today. No 3-D so I don't have to hike up a bunch of stairs to sit all the way to the back of the theater.

Yavin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ben Mk
My brief take on it:

In Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation, Tom Cruise's Ethan Hunt has his work cut out for him. The Impossible Mission Force has been dissolved, a shadow terrorist organization calling themselves the Syndicate is on the loose, and he's a man on the run, pursued by his own government for going rogue in order to track down the Syndicate's elusive and dangerous mastermind, Solomon Lane (Sean Harris). But if you think that will stop Ethan Hunt, well, clearly you don't know Mission: Impossible. This fifth and latest installment in the series (courtesy of writer/director Christopher McQuarrie) may not deviate from the franchise's tried-and-true formula, but that doesn't mean it isn't a helluva lot of fun. Packed with insane stunts, hi-tech hijinks and all of the international intrigue viewers have come to expect from the M:I films, Rogue Nation is the quintessential summer blockbuster. It's hard to believe that the franchise can remain this deliriously entertaining four sequels and nearly two decades in. But that just goes to show that nothing is impossible. 4 out of 5.

Click here for my spoiler-free full review.

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
Tim Glover said:
LOVED it. The best movie experience so far this year. Just a A-list cast that delivers. Truly entertaining....suspenseful and amazingly directed.

It's got Cool all over the screen. And a really good story. Totally agree with Patrick-Rebecca Ferguson has amazing eyes. And a damn nice face and body to boot.

Only issue I had is
there were no mentions of Ethan's wife. It's like that story line from previous films didn't happen?

Want to see again.

10/10

I think the lack of sexual liason between the leads was proof enough that he is married and his wife is hidden to protect her.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Tim Glover said:
Only issue I had is

Ghost Protocol ended the Ethan/Jules storyline IIRC.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bromleygarden
Recent bookmarks