What's new

Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation (1 Viewer)

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
A final trailer for the film that features some footage of the other major stunt piece that Cruise did... despite the awe at the airplane stunt, Cruise has indicated he's most proud of the training he underwent to learn to hold his breath for a looong time.... any wagers on there being a single, long cut in the finished film?

They are definitely continuing to amp up the "gadget factor" in this film. I hope it doesn't backfire like it seemed to with the later Brosnan Bond films, IMO.

Regardless, I'm going to really try to catch this in theaters, but I'll almost certainly get the Blu on day 1.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Ejanss said:
Brian dePalma nailed the original series in the first movie--The opening fakeout, the stakeout on the embassy, the boo-yah burst of Lalo Schifirin as they start their orchestrated Team-IMF infiltration of the CIA....

Turning Mr. Phelps into a traitor is not "nailing the original series", unless you mean drive a stake through its heart.

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
As the last two "Mission" films were both exceptionally good (MI3 from 2006 is really good, but was slept on because Cruise was getting hammered in the press at the time), I am looking forward to this release.

Hoping this one meets that level of quality.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Ejanss said:
Brian dePalma nailed the original series in the first movie--

Amen to that. Basically, I think the first film is one of the great summer blockbuster type films and I love what they did with it. Pretty much the perfect way to turn a television series into a feature film. I think they got everything right in this one and it should be the blueprint for how to handle doing this. Cast, script, visuals, music, pacing, and De Palma behind the wheel...wow, the first film, in my opinion fired on all cylinders. Each of the following films have none, and I mean none, of the zest and flavor of the first film. They range from terrible to "I'm just not sure how to do this." to "Let's just copy other popular spy films and forget the material this is actually based on."

I'm really looking forward to seeing The Man from Uncle and I think it looks like Guy Ritchie and crew might have found a way to do that one right. I guess we'll see but I remain skeptical that any of these Mission Impossible sequels will ever approach the levels the first one reached and they all just seem to be an excuse to see what sort of stuff they can hang Tom Cruise off of. If they brought De Palma back to direct a sequel that would be something...

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I've enjoyed all of the Mission: Impossible movies, but, my thing is that they all seem to have the same plot to a certain extent. In every movie (except the second, which I don't remember enough to say for sure, but in the first one, the third one, and the fourth one), at some point Tom Cruise has to both solve the case while being on the run from the IMF, either because he's been set up, or because there's a mole in the agency, or the agency itself is under siege. And it seems like that will be the case again this time. The movies seem to get made so far apart from each other, and each with a different set of writers and directors, that maybe nobody working on them has actually noticed this, but as an audience member, that part is getting old for me. How about a Mission: Impossible movie that doesn't feature that plot point for a change?

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Holy Shit! I thought that scene was CG when I first saw it. I'm surprised he could hang on like that. It must have felt like his arms were going to be pulled out of their sockets. He's got to be bat-shit crazy to do something like that, but I also have to give him credit for having incredible brass balls for doing something like that. Crazy religion or not, you have got to respect the guy for going to those kinds of lengths for a film.

kathy13xia

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kathy Xia
The scene on the post is pretty exciting, not sure about the movie itself. But I like the last two very much, and I am excited to watch this new one in theater.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
He was certainly not hanging by his hands, he was fixed securely independent of his hands but still it's very dangerous and he must be crazy doing it.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Wow, I did not expect they would actually hang Tom Cruise on the outside of a plane and take off with him on it...8 times even! I feel I have to see the film just out of respect for him doing that stunt. My question is how did the insurance company agree to allow that to happen? Cruise must sign a waver that says if he gets accidentally decapitated everybody is off the hook and he has done that of his own accord. He looks pretty unprotected hanging there outside of his harness and the wire to secure him to the plane. I think anybody would have expected that stunt to be done using CGI these days but the fact that is the real deal is pretty darn impressive. Tom is the man!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Reggie W said:
Wow, I did not expect they would actually hang Tom Cruise on the outside of a plane and take off with him on it...8 times even!
Yeah, when I heard that that stunt was real, my first thought (after thinking that he must be nuts) was that it had to be a one and done type of thing but then seeing that video saying that he did it eight times is just out of hand. I would have seen this movie even if it was CG but this is probably the most incredible stunt that a movie star has performed in the history of movies.

The best part of the trailer is hearing Simon Pegg saying "Oh my god!" as the plane starts to lift off because it's exactly what I was thinking as I saw it. :)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Yes, when Pegg says that it makes you wonder now if he is saying that because Tom is really hanging off the side of a freaking plane.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Similarly, Tom actually hung outside the 100+th story of the Burj Khalifa for Ghost Protocol.

This is a big reason why I really love these movies. Agreed with Reggie W and Edwin-S - personal politics aside, the guy has my respect for what he's willing to do for his films.

I'm anxious to see him hold his breath for roughly 6 minutes uncut in this one, too.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yes they did a real stunt in the previous movie too and advertised it which makes you wonder if it's a publicity stunt to make people talk about the movie. I think that they are going to do this with each new movie and do a real stunt to promote the movie. No matter what, it's a good thing.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I saw in store at best buy free ticket vouchers from the film on select paramount blu ray titles. Star Trek, mission impossible, transformers.

I almost bit on the older mission impossible films that I don't have on blu ray. The transfer and audio reviews are not great on the first film which is my favorite. Curious paramount only did Dolby digital on the mission impossible 1-3 blu Rays. I have ghost protocol on blu ray.

I can't wait to see this film in imax opening weekend!!!!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Osato said:
I almost bit on the older mission impossible films that I don't have on blu ray. The transfer and audio reviews are not great on the first film which is my favorite. Curious paramount only did Dolby digital on the mission impossible 1-3 blu Rays. I have ghost protocol on blu ray.

There's a new 4 disc Blu-ray set with all of them in a single case that I just got on Amazon for $20. Watched the first movie last night and the quality was decent enough - but I haven't seen this in so long, maybe a streaming rental when the last movie came out, the last time I owned it was probably on a widescreen VHS tape, so it was definitely an improvement. If you don't have it at all, you won't regret the Blu if you can get it cheap.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Josh Steinberg said:
There's a new 4 disc Blu-ray set with all of them in a single case that I just got on Amazon for $20. Watched the first movie last night and the quality was decent enough - but I haven't seen this in so long, maybe a streaming rental when the last movie came out, the last time I owned it was probably on a widescreen VHS tape, so it was definitely an improvement. If you don't have it at all, you won't regret the Blu if you can get it cheap.
Cool thanks. I'll never watch 2 again. I didn't care for that one at all. 3 was decent and I loved 4. I have the ce DVD of the first film and have put off upgrading. The ticket thing is tempting though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks