What's new

Mirage Speakers - Anybody use them for Home Theater? (1 Viewer)

Alex Yang

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all,
I'm thinking of replacing my BOSE 901's with some new speakers currently I'm SERIOUSLY close to purchasing the Mirage OM-7 Omnipolar speakers and the OM-C2 for Center, the three speakers combined will run me around $2500.00...
I've auditioned them in the hi-fi store and they sounded great in 2 channel stero (AUDIO), next week, I'm going to have them setup in the store for 5.1 / 6.1 home theater...
I'm looking for the following:
1. Opinions on these speakers (personal experience)
2. Recommendation for other speakers
3. Direct firing vs. Omnipolar (bi-polar) design as it relates to Home Theater...
I'm primarily going to be using this 80% for Home theater and 20% Audio...
Thanks in advance for your help/advice...
-Alex
PS. Please NO JOKES about the 901's, I already know how bad they are, no need to run salt on my wounds... :)
[Edited last by Alex Yang on July 26, 2001 at 09:19 PM]

J

John Morris

Alex: I use all Mirage for my primary HT/music system and I (of course)think it's the greatest. I use M-3si towers for my front L,R, speakers and the OM-C2 for my center channel. IMO, these speakers(except for the M-1si) are the best sounding speakers for movies and live music, that I have ever heard at under $2K per speaker. I used to use a pair of M-7si tower speakers for my rear L,R surrounds but downgraded to four MBS-2 speakers for my rear channels in a 7.1 setup. Combined with the SVS Ultra subwoofer, this system kicks ass and makes sweet music too!
So, of course, I second your opinion!
------------------
Take Care,
merc

StephenMSmith

Stunt Coordinator
I have Mirage OM-6's, OM-R2's, OM-C2, and Subtrata 1000 for my HT setup. I love it. Some people just don't like the whole bipolar sound, but not me. What are you planning for rears? If you got the money, go for OM-7's all the way around and another OM-C2 for rear center. That would be a sweet setup.
If you check out the first few pages of any Widescreen Review magazine where they describe their various HT setups, you'll seee that they are really big fans of Mirage omnipolars in their HT's as well.
Steve
------------------

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
What amp/receiver will you be using?
I have heard some Mirages hooked up to b&k and they sounded quite good. If they sound great to you with music, you shouldn't have any worries about them sounding excellent with movies (especially since they have the omnipolar design which gives them a nice big soundstage). Another speaker you should consider is Definitive Technology atwww.definitivetech.com ...I have the 2000TL's mated with a yamaha dspA1 and they are amazing speakers. Good luck!

J

John Morris

and another OM-C2 for rear center
I too considered this option as it would provide the best front to rear seamless panning. Still, I just didn't have the room for another single omnipolar center rear speaker. I instead opted for a pair of bipolars which fired towards each other and (the speaker backs)fired towards the side rear surrounds. This provided the most seamless, and realistic rear sound fields with my almost non-existent behind rear seating space.
------------------
Take Care,
merc

Alex Yang

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Guys!
This is EXACTLY the type of info I was looking for! I did a SEARCH on Mirage and NOT a single review about them here at all??!?
frown.gif

Thats why I thought I would put this post up instead, to try to find the "real" Mirage users!!!! :)
I'm planning on either the Onkyo 989 or the NEW 898 when the 898 comes out... (Oct/Nov)!!!
I'm also planning on buying the OM-R2s!!!
Thanks again!!!
-Alex

J

John Morris

Alex: IMHO, I was not impressed with the OM-R2 surrounds for use in music surround or with 5 channel DVD or SACD. To my ear, they just lacked guts, so to speak. I much preferred using MBS-2(of course, thats what I bought) or the brand new OM-9 speakers which I auditioned this week. An OM-7, OM-C2, OM-9, SVS Ultra setup would be an absolute killer system and one which I'd want if I had to replace my current speakers today. Still, the OM-R2s are a good place to start and have a decent resale value when you decide to upgrade to the OM-9 rears. :)
------------------
Take Care,
merc

Alex Yang

Stunt Coordinator
Bob,
Thanks for the heads up on Def Tech!!! I'm going to have to audition them as well now!!! :)
What a price difference!!! Def Tech are about 1/2 the price of the Mirage for the same type of system... OM-7 non powered woofer for the BP30... OR better yet, same price as the OM-7 $2000.00 per/pair get the Def Tech with POWERED woofer... Yeesh!???!
-Alex

J

John Morris

Alex: absolutely audition as many speakers as you can. As for me, I liked the PTH tweeters and crossover networks of the Mirages versus the DefTechs. Still, if I was short on money, I'd opt for the DFTs. They are damn good for the money. Alternatively, maybe you need to shop a little more for better prices on the Mirage units. Typically, speakers from Canada can be had for much less than what you've been quoted so far. Good Luck with your search and have fun!!!
------------------
Take Care,
merc

Alex Yang

Stunt Coordinator
John,
You've compared these side by side? I'm trying to locate a local dealer in NYC that carries BOTH Mirage and Def Tech so that I can audition them side by side...
No such luck yet... The PHT tweeter was a concern for me as I was trying to understand how a 'similar' crafted speaker "bipolar" could be had for less money... and the TWEETERs came up first... (Aluminum) for the Def Tech...
Surely this is not the only reason, and hence the reason why I'm dying to audition BOTH systems side by side...
Thanks,
-Alex

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I have old Mirage bookshelf speakers in my office/studio and I absolutely LOVE them. VERY nice sound.
------------------
Philip Hamm
AIM: PhilBiker

MatthewJ S

Supporting Actor
Of course, because I have Mirage too, they must be the best (just reinforcing my own fragile ego,ha-ha). But seriously, I have the om10's,omc2, omr2's ss1500(sub) andd... just because i'm anal when it comes to voice matching, an older pair of direct radiating m490's (the last "normally priced bookshelves that Mirage made with the PTH tweeter)which are used as my rear surrounds off my AVR307(B & K) IN 7.1...i DO THIS FOR AN EITHER-OR-OR-BOTH configuration with regaurds to surrounds....I cross over the OM10's at 55hz (using the B&K'S adjustablecrossover/adjustable slope/adjustable notch filter), and GOD I LOVE MY SYSTEM!
Now for the differances between def-tech and Mirage.. def-tech has no factory,Mirage's is state of the art....Mirage manufactures what is regaurded as one of the best metal dome tweeters on the market(pth) mounted on a specific cloth surround to dampen the unwanted resonances of metal, def-tecs tweeters are made by some off shore company and sent to the kimball piano factory to be put into the speakers as piece-work .....Mirage were the origenal bi-polar speaker but def-tech copied the general idea, ...Mirage has realized that bi-bolar radiating patterns were not good enoughb so they improved driver dispersions and cabinet designs to create an omni-polar speaker that does not suffer from of axis listening problems( just turn both speakers towards each other and stand way off to one side of them' no differance in sound quality),def-tecs have a strong null to either side because their drivers are not time alligned( makes 'em difficult for room placement)....just so I don't get tons of angry hate mail from def-tech owners,I will say something good about them: their unbelievable expensive marketing campaign does help expose people to bi-polar sound

Alex Yang

Stunt Coordinator
Matt,
You are THE MAN!!!! That is EXACTLY the information I wanted to hear... :)
I'm still going to try to audition BOTH the Mirage and Def Tech and I'm going to try "rotating" the speakers 90 degrees to see if there is a NULL spot for the DEF Tech!
When I auditioned the Mirage speakers that was ONE of the FIRST tests the salesperson showed me rotating the speakers and my jaw dropped I had to have these speakers!!!
But, I gotta find a store now for Def Tech...
Anyone want to speak up for Direct Firing speakers now vs. BiPolar...?? Or am I opening a FRESH NEW can of worms??? :)

Mario_C

Stunt Coordinator
I using five Mirage HDT-F speakers in my 5.1 system. I upgraded from OM-10 fronts, OM-7 fronts, OM-C2 center and OM-R2 surrounds.
The OM-10 are great and they have been replaced by the OM-9. You can find a review at Secrets of Home Theater. If you can afford it go with the OM-7. I originally upgraded my surrounds from OM-R2 to HDT-F because I did not like the soun of of the OM-R2. I would advise you that if it is within your budget go for something like the OM-9 for surrounds. After listening to the HDT-F I just had to upgrade all my speakers.
All I can tell you is that the HDT-F are excellent, specially as a center channel speaker. It's amazing how much better my HT sounds. I just love these speakers. When I first got the HDT-F and started watching my favorite DVD's I was amazed. It was like I was listening to these DVD's for the fist time. The amount of detail of the sound blew me away. They just sound great. i have recently added two BPS-400 subwoofers. My house is rocking and shaking with deep, clean, tight powerful bass.
You can go wrong with mirage speakers. They also have great customer service.
icon14.gif

------------------
Link Removed

Hubert

Second Unit
I completely disagree with Matthew's assessment on Defintive Technology. It's also apparent you haven't heard a properly set up Def Tech system. There are no lulls in my system. Both are great speakers. I auditioned both and enjoyed both immensly. But since my main objective was home theater, to me the Def Techs were better and rocked harder at louder levels with ease than the Mirage speakers did, and maintained clarity at those high levels. My advice, don't take anyone's advice. Go listen to both systems and buy what sounds best to you. You can't go wrong with either. Both are very good. Don't let Matthew's dumping on Def Tech dissuade you from at least giving Def Tech a chance. Just ask all the happy Def Tech owners here what they think of them.
Personally Matthew, it seemed all you did was dump on Def Tech. I'll pit my Def Tech system against any Mirage system any day of the week.
[Edited last by Hubert on July 27, 2001 at 02:58 PM]
[Edited last by Hubert on July 27, 2001 at 03:03 PM]

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
Hubert, I'm sure you mean well but when the new OM-1 gets released later this year you will be choking on your last comment :)
As you can tell, I am a proud Mirage owner as well. OM10s,M-C2 center, R2 rears and BPS 150i. I plan to upgrade the fronts, rears and sub. The center I'll be keeping. Music shines incredibly on these things, and considering I'm 95% music guy its a great start. Honestly though I cannot give you an accurate thought on these because they are all in my 100 square foot bedroom and I'm not giving them the room to breathe. It still sounds great but theres no justice. I need a BPS 400 or an SVS to compliment things, the 150i just doesn't have the power I want, even in the small room. Accurate-yes. Just no oomph.
Mike

Alex Yang

Stunt Coordinator
Hubert,
Thanks for the gut wrenching support of Def Tech!!! :)
I don't know if you've read my previous post carefully or not, but I DO intend on listening to the Def Tech also!!! I'm not going to go in blindly just to purchase the Mirage speakers... :)
Since, I'm planning on paying around $2500 for speakers I want to try them ALL out!!!
Does anyone out there have any suggestions on DIRECT/Front firing speakers?
Thanks,
-Alex

Brian Steeves

Second Unit
I own an all Mirage system at the moment also. OM10s, OMC2, and OMR2s. I have enjoyed them thoroughly.
Just one word of advice...
If you want pinpoint imaging go with a direct radiator. The Mirages are very diffuse. They have a huge sweet spot at the expense of poor imaging (IMHO).

Alex Yang

Stunt Coordinator
Brian,
I kind of understand what you mean, BUT just to be sure let me explain how I interpret your advice:
In chapter 12 or 13 of Dragon Heart, Draco (Sean Connery) is flying around Bowen (Dennis Quiad) Knight of the Old Code... :) You can hear him clearly flying around the room 360 degrees (2.5 times)...
With speakers calibrated perfectly... :)
1. Using direct radiating speakers I should be able to ACCURATELY pinpoint and FOLLOW Draco as he flies around the room...
2. With Bipolar/Omnipolar, this somehow gets diffuse and hard to pinpoint or follow his movements?
If the 2nd statement is true could you explain a little more clearly?? (eg, How bad is the "diffuse" effect, can you at least hear him still flying around in the circle?, If ALL speakers are Bipolar/Omnipolar wouldn't the diffuse effect be the same throughout the room and therefore the surround effects left intact...?)
Brian, thanks MUCH for your advice/insight in advance

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
Matthew's response really had me laughing my a$$ off...he seems very bitter and resentful of something :)
Alex, in my setup everything sounds great at the sides...I've never heard of anyone talking about a "small" sweet spot with def techs.
If you are willing to spend 2500/pair you should DEFINITELY consider the Def Tech 2000TL's. Now let me give you some tips regarding setup. Wire the bass "full range" by sending the long end of a (quality) y-connector to the "full range low level in" on the speaker, and send the two shorter ends of a y-connector to the "pre out" and "main in" on the receiver. Then you want to send a simple (normal) speaker cable from the "mid" jumper on the speaker to the main (L/R) inputs on the receiver.
With the wiring set up this way, you will get deeper and tighter bass...just make sure to use some good quality cables and make sure that none of the excess cable is coiled or cluttered.
Now positioning. You should probably keep about 5-8 feet of space in between the speakers (for music listening in particular). Subs can fire out or in (I have mine firing outward). Use some toe in (this you should experiment with. I use only a slight toe in). Keep about 1-3 feet of space for the rear drivers to fire, and make sure to keep no obstructions for the side firing subs.
Mate them with a good quality cd player (this makes a difference). You should consider running them with something like yamaha rx-v1, b&k avr307, high end Marantz, or Denon 5800...it is critical to find a good match that you enjoy.
Finally, you will need to spend a LONG time breaking them in (in particular play material with bright highs for extended periods to break them in)!!! This is very important because they won't sound truly amazing (with music) until they are fully broken in (so don't be too quick to judge things in the showroom...these speakers have very deep bass response, great mids, and clear crisp highs without being bright and I find them to be very neutral and natural sounding speakers with good imaging).
Once you have done all this, you should find the 2000TL to be tremendous with all types of music. From the very beginning, however, you should find them to be killer home theater speakers...all the other steps are necessary to give you a wonderfully musical speaker.
Bass response should kill any loudspeaker Mirage makes in the price range. Just make sure to adjust bass volume settings on the back of each speaker (particularly if you are hearing too much bass for your tastes with music).
Be sure to look at the 2000TL reviews at www.audioreview.com
Good luck!
[Edited last by Bob_A on July 28, 2001 at 03:05 AM]
[Edited last by Bob_A on July 28, 2001 at 03:07 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks