What's new

Midnight CLub II (1 Viewer)

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
IGN gave it a 9.1. Here are the closing comments:
Midnight Club II is a sure-fire hit for anyone who likes to drive and play videogames. It's a rippingly fast racer blending some adventure elements with pure arcade racing. What's more, it is an excellent online game that offers an ostensibly limitless amount of replay value, given the range of courses and numerous race alterations and variations.
Technically, the rebuilt engine is an impressive piece of code. The level of physics and AI improvements this game has shown is superb. Except for the soundtrack, Midnight Club II delivers the goods in every way that Midnight Club: Street Racing didn't and then some.
I was going to wait for the XBox version but I might have to pick this one up and trade it in when the XBox one comes out.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Howie A

Second Unit
Will the xbox version support custom soundtracks?

It seems as though that is the only down fall of the ps2 version. It would be a shame if they
dont take advantage of this option on a system that can support it..

Joe Reed

Stunt Coordinator
yes it does support custom soundtracks, and don't forget 5.1 and 16x9.

I want the xbox version, but I might get this tonight and just ebay before the xbox version comes out. But then playing this game for two months I probably wouldn't want to buy it xbox, so I will just wait for the better verson(hopefully) :D

EdR

Second Unit
Some initial impressions (subject to change as I move further into the game):

Overall I'm a tad disappointed. Graphically it's passable, but nothing amazing. The particle effects that the IGN review goes on about (a bit) aren't enough to make me score the graphics higher. Aliasing continues to be an issue with the PS2, I'm getting used to the Xbox...I'm hoping that the Xbox version will improve on the graphics.

Gameplay is pretty good, and I suspect will only get better as I progress. I've unlocked about 6 cars, and it definitely gets better as the cars get faster. But the handling is quite simplistic. I know it's an arcade game, and I'm enjoying tearing around LA, but I think it could have been even better if it was somewhat easier to loose control. I'd place the handling somewhere near NFS:HP2 but closer to Burnout.

The menu system sucks. It's confusing and poorly done, IMO. But not a big issue.

The number of modes is great.

I may buy the PS2 online adapter for this game, because the potential for fun in racing people seems huge. I'll probably get my ass kicked, but it's too tempting, and I think I'll get a lot more out of it.

I should say that my expectations were very high for this game, so my slight disappointment should be seen in that light. I think this game will grow on me...especially playing online.

Oh, does anyone know what "Cinematic camera" means in the graphics options? I didn't look it up in the manual last night. it's on by default, but it seemed like the game looked better with it off, but I'm not sure what it does...is it motion-blur?

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
I've been playing for the last few hours and I'm really having a ton of fun with it. I haven't played many racers lately so I don't have another recent game to really compare it to. I like the arcade handling and I feel like it fits the fast-play style the game is going for without sacrificing the importance of learning the routes and skill.

I tried a couple of online games and they ran smooth as silk. The only problem I had was hosts quitting in the middle of the game. So far, the games have been lag-free and played exactly like the offline counterparts. I need to unlock some better cars to compete though.

I just unlocked the first motorcycle and it's quite a trip. They're fast as hell but highly unstable and, obviously, much more prone to crashing than cars. If you can control it though, the moto can really cruise.

EdR

Second Unit
I had more fun tonight. The race through the Hollywood hills was fun. As was the fog-fest after it. The handling does fit the game, but I still would like to see a mode (maybe like the 'Extreme" mode in NFS:HP2) where things get out of hand more easily.

I think I was a bit harsh about the graphics, the truth is if you really look at the textures closely, they look ugly, but the environments have a lot of nice touches...and you really don't notice the fuzzy textures unless you're sitting still, which isn't often.

The map-reading aspect is exciting, trying to decipher a quicker route to cut off your opponents adds a level of strategy not common in racing games.

Good to hear that the online part runs well. I think this is my ticket into PS2 online.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
If you need an adapter, Media Play may still be offering the adapter for free with the purchase of Everquest for $20.

-Dave

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
I think the deal was pulled from the online site midway through the week. I only saw it at the B&M locations (although some people got in on the website as well). Hopefully the B&M deal isn't dead now that it is a new week. If you check out the store, it might not be labeled well. At my location, they had the network adapters in one spot with a sign about getting one free with Everquest, and all of the games were in a different spot with no indication of a free adapter.

-Dave

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
I just finished the LA circuit. That last race drove me nuts but it was a ton of fun to finally figure it out and toast Dice.

I haven't started Paris yet - I've been taking it online. I love using to draft guys and then use the SST to blow by them. One race, another guy and I kept leap frogging each other that way - made for a pretty exciting race :D .

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Anyone know why it says DTS Interactive on the back of the case? The only multi-channel sound you can get out of this game is DPL II.

The game gets better as you keep playing btw, just keep it going.

JamesH

Supporting Actor
So how does this game compare to Rush 2049?

Also, I haven't done the online thing with consoles yet, will this game work with 56K?

HalRoth

Agent
I very much enjoy the CTF and Detonation game types in online play.

What i dont like though, is the person with the best car will usually win, only a rental on my ps2, probably gonna pass up to get mm3 on the box. Im still trying to figure out what the difference between the 2 are.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
its mine when it comes to Live :) I really want a car racing game on live. then the real trash talking can begin

capt

Howie A

Second Unit

This made me think? What is the communication on-line in this game with the PS2.

I am going to guess "On Screen Trash Typing.." :D

That is their one downfall.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UnthinkableSol
Recent bookmarks