What's new

Mickey Hart's remixing early Dead albums (1 Viewer)

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
I saw a blurb in Home Theater Magazine and found this article http://www.sonicnet.com/news/story.jhtml?id=1444425 about Mickey Hart remixing American Beauty and other albums for "multichannel DVD audio". I was wondering if anybody knows the specifics on this, as in which format are they using. Since it doesn't say "DVD-Audio" its hard to be certain what they mean.
I've got to say that I'm both excited (perhaps elated is more appropriate) and a bit apprehinsive about this. American Beauty is my favorite album. Ripple and a few of the other songs on there are my favorites by the Dead. I'm excited that they'll be released in a better format than 16/44 PCM (assuming its not DD or DTS), but I'm curious how the multi-channel mix will work out. Granted it will finally get me motivated to get out the SPL meter and fine tune my system.
Unfortunately this may push up my plans to buy a DVD-Audio or SACD player. I had intended to wait for a bit to see how things shake out, plus I just purchased a Malata to handle region free and everything else my 1st Gen. Sony can't do. But for me these Grateful Dead releases are worth purchasing everything I need to enjoy it. Even if I end up with the losing format, it'll be worth it to have the Dead in high quality.

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
American Beauty is being released on DVD-Audio on October 30, followed by Workingman's Dead on November 27. Both are being released by Rhino.
I have heard that Bobby is involved with the mixes. I've yet to see anything about these on dead.net.
Also, Rhino is releasing a 10 CD boxed set of the original Warner albums. I haven't read much more about this either, other than they will be remastered and include bonus tracks on all discs, except Live Dead.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Thanks a lot Greg. I guess its time to start my search for a DVD-Audio player. This is going to be so cool.
I wonder if the box set will be remastered in any way or if its the same old stuff with just a few additions. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for any other news on this.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
All of the WB Dead albums are being remastered for the box. Except for Live Dead, they will all have bonus track (there isn't room on Live Dead). There is also 1 (or 2) discs of recordings from before their first album).
I can't wait!
------------------
These chicks know how to party! - MoJo JoJo

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, once again it goes to show that searching the forum will often find the information you wanted in the first place.
To bad my dad doesn't like the Dead, Oct. 16th is his birthday also. I guess I'll have to buy me something for his birthday and tell him next June I'll buy him a gift for my birthday.
biggrin.gif

The DVD-Audio versions should be interesting. In some cases I'd be very leery about someone mucking with the classics, but when you're talking about someone that cares about music preservation like Mickey Hart, I've got to assume that its going to be good. Granted I'd still love to get hold of Ripple at the highest bit rate/sampling frequency possible. That'd be heaven to me.

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
To bad my dad doesn't like the Dead, Oct. 16th is his birthday also.
Well, to make you feel better, October 16th is my birthday. So please feel free to buy the set for me. You can e-mail me directly for the shipping address.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks