What's new

MGM Press Release: BOND 50 (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Persianimmortal said:
Rumors were that a quantum of solace se was completed but never released. Marc Forster stated that he did do a commentary as well.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Considering how many releases the Bond series has seen during the home video era, I would think it's almost a certainty that another "set" will be released to tie into Bond 24 in 2015.(the DVD SE's were released in 2002 followed by the UE's in 2006; Bond 50 was released in 2012, so three years between releases if there is a new one in 2015). And Bond 50 was the bestselling Blu-ray box set of 2012 with projected worldwide sales totaling $50 million. The Bond movies are one of the "old reliables" of home video, along with GWTW, The Wizard of Oz, Casablanca, etc. Pretty much guaranteed sales for a relatively small investment for the distributors (unless they spring for new 4K transfers).

And whether they are new transfers, etc is the big question IMO. If it's just a repackaging of the Bond 50 versions (with a blank space for Bond 24 BD when it's released), then I'll pass.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
atfree said:
Considering how many releases the Bond series has seen during the home video era, I would think it's almost a certainty that another "set" will be released to tie into Bond 24 in 2015.(the DVD SE's were released in 2002 followed by the UE's in 2006; Bond 50 was released in 2012, so three years between releases if there is a new one in 2015). And Bond 50 was the bestselling Blu-ray box set of 2012 with projected worldwide sales totaling $50 million. The Bond movies are one of the "old reliables" of home video, along with GWTW, The Wizard of Oz, Casablanca, etc. Pretty much guaranteed sales for a relatively small investment for the distributors (unless they spring for new 4K transfers). And whether they are new transfers, etc is the big question IMO. If it's just a repackaging of the Bond 50 versions (with a blank space for Bond 24 BD when it's released), then I'll pass.
I agree. Great post!!

Mikey1969

Second Unit
Real Name
M. Fox
Yes, a special edition was put together on paper at least, with a likely release in 2011-2012 but when the films' reputation became so toxic, EON likely quietly put it on the back burner so it wouldn't taint their upcoming Skyfall.

Osato said:
Rumors were that a quantum of solace se was completed but never released. Marc Forster stated that he did do a commentary as well.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Mikey1969 said:
Yes, a special edition was put together on paper at least, with a likely release in 2011-2012 but when the films' reputation became so toxic, EON likely quietly put it on the back burner so it wouldn't taint their upcoming Skyfall.
Maybe it was more violent than they would have liked, i don't think it's toxic, it made a lot of money, people liked it, i liked it.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
FoxyMulder said:
Maybe it was more violent than they would have liked, i don't think it's toxic, it made a lot of money, people liked it, i liked it.
Agreed. It's odd that it remains unreleased. However it was that messy period for MGM with the bankruptcy. Hopefully it is released in 2015.

Mikey1969

Second Unit
Real Name
M. Fox
There was alot of complaints from the general public and the critics about they hyper editing (which really hurt the action scenes) and the weak story (likely due to the writer's strike, which prevented the script from being properly revised). Even key Bond people -- even Daniel Craig -- have spoken against the film to varying degrees, and declared an intend to move in a different direction, which they did with Skyfall.

FoxyMulder said:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
After watching all 23 (or 25) Bond films after this box set came out, I came to the conclusion that while I love a great many of the films, there are some that I just never need to watch again (The World is Not Enough, Die Another Day, etc.) Sadly, Quantum of Solace falls into the latter category for me, and as such, I really have no desire to revisit it, even in a disc of previously unreleased extras.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
I liked how this feller not being a Bond fanatic is really getting into them.

I also like the artwork on the spine not got mine totally built up yet but will someday? :)

If my demands are not met, I shall proceed with the systematic extinction of whole species of cereals and livestock all over the world. :lol: I like that quote.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Quantum of solace does have a very good score by David Arnold. Hoping to watch it again this weekend.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Where is the 40th anniversary blu Ray for the man with the golden gun??Lots of 007 film anniversaries this year.Goldfinger, ohmss, golden gun, license to kill, the world is not enough

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
The ken Adam home movies on the blu Rays are fantastic. These were very wonderful special features to include. I'm watching the one on moonraker this evening

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I rewatched the Bonus disc on the bond 50 set. Ouch. This set deserved much better. John cork would've done something great if fox and MGM would've put up some funds to do so...

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
About 16 minutes into quantum my disc started to freeze up. I may have watched the film one other time from the bond 50 set. Most annoying!!I'm contacting fox connect about the issue.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Osato said:
About 16 minutes into quantum my disc started to freeze up. I may have watched the film one other time from the bond 50 set. Most annoying!!I'm contacting fox connect about the issue.
I had the exact same issue with the Quantum disc in my box set -- I think mine froze closer to the 30 minute mark, but I discovered this after my set was over a year old. I emailed Fox Connect and they were really good about it -- I sent the disc back to them, and they sent me a new one which appears to be working fine (I only spot checked it). Hopefully they'll be as quick and easy about a replacement with you as they were for me.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Josh Steinberg said:
I had the exact same issue with the Quantum disc in my box set -- I think mine froze closer to the 30 minute mark, but I discovered this after my set was over a year old. I emailed Fox Connect and they were really good about it -- I sent the disc back to them, and they sent me a new one which appears to be working fine (I only spot checked it). Hopefully they'll be as quick and easy about a replacement with you as they were for me.
Thanks for the post! Yes I hope it can be resolved quickly.I had more freezing issues 40 minutes into the film as well

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks