What's new

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Seventy-one years ago on March 20, 1953, Lippert’s first 3-D short A DAY IN THE COUNTRY had its first known showing at the 800 seat Capitol Theatre in Olympia, WA.

From 3-D Expert, Mike Ballew: "The work of boxing short impresario Jack Rieger, it was filmed near Sussex, New Jersey, with an unknown camera rig, by a crew only barely conversant with the requirements of good screen stereo. Its original title was Stereo Laffs, and the prevailing hunch is that it was meant to beat M-G-M's Third Dimensional Murder into theaters. That latter short, which began production on November 30, 1939, was missing in action more than a year later.

On February 17, 1941, nationally syndicated columnist Leonard Lyons predicted that "Jack Rieger… will beat M-G-M to the showing of a third-dimension stereoscopic picture." On February 22, Boxoffice magazine, reporting production costs of about $20,000 for Stereo Laffs, anticipated a theatrical release in two weeks' time. Third Dimensional Murder finally reached the nation's screens on March 1, 1941, but Stereo Laffs sat out World War II on a shelf.

Stereo Laffs was licensed for exhibition in the state of New York in 1945, but never found wide distribution until independent producer Robert L. Lippert, acquiring the film from Rieger, made single-strip anaglyphic prints available under the present title, A Day in the Country. Paired with a 2-D Western, The Tall Texan starring Lloyd Bridges, the short at last reached the public in March 1953.

A Day in the Country disappeared for over 50 years, until a mysterious East Coast dealer sold the only surviving copy to collector Jeff Joseph for $500—and then promptly vanished, along with the film. When Joseph tracked him down a year later, the man confessed the print had been left abandoned in the back of his pickup truck, now in the clutches of a local towing company. Joseph put through a long-distance phone call, and a friendly clerk took a quick look. Yes, there was a pickup truck, and yes, there was a can of film, and yes, the label read A Day in the Country.

High-quality preservation scans were made of this faded 1953 Pathé Color release print, and 3-D wizard Dan Symmes worked out ingenious methods by which the discrete left- and right-eye views could be harvested from the composite anaglyphic image. The film had its first public presentation in many years at World 3-D film Expo II, in September 2006. But in the years since, 3-D Film Archive Technical Director Greg Kintz has worked his own digital alchemy on the film."

A DAY IN THE COUNTRY is currently available on our Blu-ray release of 3-D RARITIES II from Flicker Alley.

Day1.jpg

Day2.jpg

Day3.jpg

Day4.jpg

Corazon4.jpg

Ballew-book-2.jpg

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Do you think that Wade Williams' estate might be in the mood to negotiate? If you can pull this off, you are indeed magical!

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
I've no doubt it'll be another Sisyphean process for Bob and the 3DFA team but, if nothing else, Bob always deserves an "A" for tenacity. Hopefully the folks he's negotiating with get it in terms of their window of opportunity (which is, frankly, today ... and not some future unrealizable date...)

And if Bob indeed manages to swing this, then 3DFA will be largely responsible for getting us 3D blu rays of every Golden Age 3D sci-fi movie subsequent to Universal's initial 3D blu release of Creature from the Black Lagoon.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Less than 48 hours remain to pre-order DOMO ARIGATO on 3-D Blu-ray. As an exclusive optional add-on to our Kickstarter backers, you can still include this unique Space-Vision 35mm film frame in your pre-order for an additional $25.00!

Domo-frame3.png

pinknik

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
Less than 48 hours remain to pre-order DOMO ARIGATO on 3-D Blu-ray. As an exclusive optional add-on to our Kickstarter backers, you can still include this unique Space-Vision 35mm film frame in your pre-order for an additional $25.00!

Domo-frame3.png

Hi Bob,

On a very tenuous tangential connection 😬, do you have any details on the 3-D filming of Willie Nelson’s 4th of July picnic? It has fascinated me since seeing it on the Silver era posters section of the Archive’s website. How much was filmed in 3-D? Why no release in 3-D? Was it Spacevision? Stereovision? Etc. 😬 Thanks!

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
So far as I know. the entire concert was filmed in 3-D but I don't know how far it got in the editing process.

My efforts to locate stereo film elements hit a brick wall many years ago.

3D Vision

Auditioning
Real Name
Dean
Hey Bob:

Do you have any plans to “re-install” the movie poster section from 1952-1985ish that was a part of your old website? I’ve looked on your re-vamped website periodically and it’s not there (or maybe I just can’t find it). I really miss it. I know you’re super busy, but I’d like to see it re-appear.

John Skoda

Second Unit
Hey Bob:

Do you have any plans to “re-install” the movie poster section from 1952-1985ish that was a part of your old website? I’ve looked on your re-vamped website periodically and it’s not there (or maybe I just can’t find it). I really miss it. I know you’re super busy, but I’d like to see it re-appear.

I also miss the old section on early stereo recordings. That information is tough to find elsewhere.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Hey Bob:

Thanks for asking, Dean.

I wish that we had the time but with getting BWANA DEVIL out the door; working on the massive MONEY FROM HOME restoration; evaluating scans on THE GLASS WEB and juggling eight other vintage 3-D restoration projects, we simply don't have time to put into the website. I wish that I could say otherwise, those pages were a LOT of work!

Thank you, John. I'm very proud of the two pages on early stereophonic releases, both tape and disc. That was a massive amount of original research in primary source documents that cleared up many long-standing myths.

Perhaps in a few years when things settle down...

In the meanwhile, they were captured by the Internet Archive Wayback Machine:

3D Vision

Auditioning
Real Name
Dean
Thanks for asking, Dean.

I wish that we had the time but with getting BWANA DEVIL out the door; working on the massive MONEY FROM HOME restoration; evaluating scans on THE GLASS WEB and juggling eight other vintage 3-D restoration projects, we simply don't have time to put into the website. I wish that I could say otherwise, those pages were a LOT of work!

Thank you, John. I'm very proud of the two pages on early stereophonic releases, both tape and disc. That was a massive amount of original research in primary source documents that cleared up many long-standing myths.

Perhaps in a few years when things settle down...

In the meanwhile, they were captured by the Internet Archive Wayback Machine:

Thanks, Bob. I just bookmarked the internet archive of your website and the movie posters are there. Now get back to work… 😂

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
We're in the final two week stretch of our "all or nothing" ROBOT MONSTER COMICS IN 3-D campaign!

That means, if you have been eyeing this, please be aware that our make-or-break period ends on May 9th. If we're not funded by then, this isn't happening, so please don't delay if this interests you!

The good news is we're starting this new week 72% funded. If this is your thing, won't you please help us kick it over the goal post?

To remind you of the multitude of goodness that makes this so cool:

- It's a collection of comics stories printed in the rare 3-D process, featuring "what if" stories centered around what could possibly have happened both before and after the events of the classic 1953 3-D sci-fi film, ROBOT MONSTER!

- It is brought to you by THE 3-D FILM ARCHIVE, the amazing folks led by BOB FURMANEK whose restoration of ROBOT MONSTER has been a smash success both in theaters and on physical home media!

- Tons of great talent involved including GREG MOFFETT who is the last surviving cast member of the film (he played "Little Johnny"), HAROLD BUCHHOLZ - a writer and executive producer of MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATER 3000, OWEN KLINE - writer-director of the film FUNNY PAGES, TOM HALL - writer-creator of the critically-acclaimed ROBOT 13 comic book series, CHRIS ALLAN - beloved artist on TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES, and so many more! Oh, I'm editing and contributing some writing, too, so if you like my work on ARCHIE'S WEIRD MYSTERIES, have at it!

- Noted teenage comics historian CARL SCHECKEL, who has interviewed countless comics industry vets and who at the age of 8 started a correspondence with SPIDER-MAN co-creator Steve Ditko, gets his first comics fiction story published RIGHT HERE!

- Not one but TWO amazing covers to choose from, courtesy of pop artist extraordinaire MITCH O'CONNELL and superlative painter JEFF SLEMONS!

Don't sleep on this one, folks... now's the time to jump in! As Ro-Man might say, "Laugh, Feel, and Want like a Hu-Man... don't miss out, back this today!"

435165687-1092513738610939-4743657870259215712-n.jpg

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Seventy years ago on April 22, 1954, United Artists SOUTHWEST PASSAGE had its gala world premiere at the 833 seat Rialto Theatre in Atlanta, GA. Available to exhibitors in either 3-D or flat versions, most theatres presented the flat version.

This rare feature was lost stereoscopically for many years. The missing reels of the right side camera negative were discovered in March 2018 at an abandoned film laboratory in Italy by Darren Gross at M-G-M Studios. Kino Lorber has secured the license and we will be restoring this lost Natural Vision gem in the near future.

Please keep an eye on the News page of our website for updates and more information on this exciting restoration!

Southwest1.jpg

Southwest2.jpg

Southwest3.jpg

Southwest4.jpg

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
We are delighted to announce the gala Midwest Premiere of our new BWANA DEVIL restoration at the beautiful Wexner Center for the Arts in Columbus, OH. This special presentation will kick-off the annual Columbus Moving Picture Show weekend.

In addition to the feature, acclaimed animation expert Jerry Beck will join 3-D Film Archive Founder Bob Furmanek for a discussion and screening of two restored Golden Age 3-D cartoons: THE HYPNOTIC HICK and BOO MOON. Advance tickets are now on sale.

Don’t miss this very special evening of restored 3-D treasures on the big screen! https://wexarts.org/film-video/bwana-devil

Look for a pre-order announcement for BWANA DEVIL on 3-D Blu-ray from Kino Lorber very soon!

Wex-collage.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks