What's new

Me first home theater system (1 Viewer)

borisbastos

Auditioning
Real Name
bart
hi,
i've been looking around on the internet to gather info about what we should need best for our home theater system.
There's so much info out there that for a complete beginner like me, i can't seem to find a clear path through the forest!
so excuse me if i post this thread which may seem a question asked too many times.
what we want is a system where:
-we can watch shows and movies from my computer on the TV
-we do not have a pc running all the time to be streaming shows to the tv
-we thus have a htpc onto which we can store movies, shows and music
-we can listen to music from my computer on a hifisystem (receiver and speakers still to be bought)
-we do not necessarily have to turn on the tv to access that music
-we can use our tablet as a remote to control the htpc
It took me a while to figure out what exactly we wanted, now i need to find out which components work best for us.
Basically, i think what i need is (and i haven't bought any of them yet!)
- receiver (sony str-hd520)
- speakers (sony ss-fcr6000)
- htpc (?)
- TV (led, lcd or plasma)
- DVD-player (?)
Budget: approx. 1000€ or 1300$
Is there a good system out there, that is a htpc with hard disk as well as a dvd or blu-ray-player combined into one.?
My girlfriend hates the way you need a remote for every single component so i would really like to narrow it down as simple as possible.
In the end, what we'd like to do is use our tablet as a remote. How does that work, using an app?
By the way, is it better to buy the same brand for every component? I kind of like Sony, don't know why, but have always been satisfied with it.
One last question, is it wise to buy a smart tv where a media center is already available? Within my budget i'd really like to look for quality first. I'm a bit wary about TV's as the TV-market is fighting price wars right now.
So i've said it! Thanks for reading, hope you can help!
B

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
You are absolutely right Boris, and this is part of the reason why so many have pinned hopes on Apple to revolutionize TV for the easier. Right now we have a situation where every device has it's own remote and efforts to combine them into a single one cause even more headaches. I have the best rated one, the Harmony One, and even that is frustrating.
I'm not a HTPC guy per se, others can touch on that, but what I recommend is BABY STEPS.
Take it one step at a time. Get your display, receiver and speakers sorted and then go for your sources, including HTPC and a dedicated Bluray deck if you decide to go that route. No, staying with one brand offers virtually no advantage, tho I do suggest getting a matched set of speakers, tho you may wish to buy a different sub.
I personally hate the Smart TV apps on both my Samsung LCD and Panasonic Plasma. Others love them. YMMV.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Welcome, Bart!

The first things you are doing correct as a "complete beginner" to the HT experience is asking for advice from the knowledgeable folks here at the HTF and--maybe more importantly--recognizing the importance of keeping your girlfriend happy with the best remote system you can find.

Like Sam, I've got a Harmony One. They're not perfect...but pretty darn good. My wife uses it all the time (when I'm not around) and loves it!

borisbastos

Auditioning
Real Name
bart
Thanks for the replies, that already helps me out.
So the Harmony one is a remote that actually replaces all the others?
How does that work? I've never used a universal remote before, does it need configuring, or does it just recognize the different components in its range?
Actually we'd like to use the tablet as remote, you think there's an app that covers the same functionality as a Harmony One?
I think we will just start by buying the receiver and speakers and see from there. I don't think we will go for a smart tv, having internet functions on a tv might be fine for some, but i guess we don't need it, after all, we have our tablet near us all the time.
i have heard before that there is little difference in quality between LED, LCD and plasma. Plasma seems quite less expensive, still i feel LED is the way to go? Any thoughts on that?
Thanks again for your help, it means a lot to me!
B

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
LED is the backlight of LCD.
So it is LCD(with older CCFL or newer LED) vs plasma.
In short, plasma is the preferred style of TV for price/performance.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Plasma generally have a better picture, but LCDs use less power and are better if you are playing a lot of games. (My TV knowledge is a bit dated, so double check.)
SAs for components, it usually doesn't matter if you use components from different manufacturers. Sometimes if having matching components will simplify a task of two because two components can be connected together and they know about each other.
For the most part Sony is not considered a good choice for a receiver. They are slightly behind the tech curve and cost a little more than they should. The list of commonly recommended receivers is (in no particular order) Denon, Harman/Kardon, Pioneer, Yamaha, Onkyo, Marantz. Sony in on the top-tier list for BR/DVD players and TVs.
-we do not have a pc running all the time to be streaming shows to the tv
This is somewhat inconsistent with your other requirement. You can stream not using the PC, but it's not common to want both a HTPC AND a non-PC DLNA server. So it would help if you explained your goals on this one more fully. (One reason might be to play misic using the DLNA server, and you did list that; but we don't want to read too much between the lines.)
There are pre-configured HTPC out there, but you won't get one, and an audio set-up in your price range.
Finally, you asked a lot of good questions, but you did ask a lot, so take your time and piece all the answers together. As I think someone else said, you might want to start by just getting a "standard" set-up, and then adding the HTPC aspect as you learn more. Just getting a 5.1/7.1 BR system up and running will enhance your experience a lot, then you expand. The piece that would mostly likely have to be swapped out to do that would be the receiver. Fortunately, you can get a very good receiver fairly inexpensively to start and not feel like you lost much when you have to upgrade. (Also, receivers are the pierce of the system that most need to be upgraded anyway. So you won't really be cheating yourself.) On the other hand speakers last decades, so you'll want to put some effort into that purchase.

borisbastos

Auditioning
Real Name
bart
ok, so i know that we'll probably want LED, since energy-use is an issue for us on the long run (gaming on the other hand isn't).
Al.Anderson said:
For the most part Sony is not considered a good choice for a receiver. They are slightly behind the tech curve and cost a little more than they should. The list of commonly recommended receivers is (in no particular order) Denon, Harman/Kardon, Pioneer, Yamaha, Onkyo, Marantz. Sony in on the top-tier list for BR/DVD players and TVs.
I didn't know that about Sony, and since it isn't necessarily better to buy same brands, i will look into the other brands you mentioned. Thanks!
Does this also apply to speakers in your opinion? Any brands which are price/performance at the top?
Concerning the HTPC-part of the story, i still do not have enough experience but i (think i) do know what i want:
if possible it should be a HTPC with a hard disk space of at least 50 GB onto which we can store movies, shows and music like we would on a pc. The way we store it on the HTPC can either be with USB or possibly wireless via another PC. I guess that's where a DLNA server comes in?? Once the data is on the HTPC i want to access it on an interface on the TV when watching movies, but for music i don't want to only access it via TV, i want to access it via a receiver the old-fashioned way, if you know what i mean.
Other than that, if there is a HTPC where a DVD-player or blu-ray is included, that would be even better, but as i said, i still don't know enough about that.
Now that i think of it, what about a receiver with hard disk space acting as a media center?
For now, i'm gonna take your advice and start off with a reciever and speakerset. It seems that wouldn't be a bad start and i do want a good receiver anyway as i'll also be connecting my Technics turntable. Further advice on what i'd need on the HTPC-part is more than welcome!
One more - i know i ask a lot:) - i'm not sure if having a 7:1 or 5:1 speakersystem is all we need since we have a relatively small living room and we're not the most experienced listeners?
Thanks again, good forum!
B

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I've never understood choosing LCD because it uses less power...
The fact is...LCD, when attempting to create "black"...uses more power than a plasma does.
Want to know what else uses more power than a plasma over 4 hours???
Your microwave if you use it to cook a meal for 25 minutes.
Your AVR.
Your subwoofer(unless it is a weenie little one)
Your electric stove to boil enough pasta for 4 people.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by borisbastos /t/325637/me-first-home-theater-system#post_4007925
So the Harmony one is a remote that actually replaces all the others?
How does that work? I've never used a universal remote before, does it need configuring, or does it just recognize the different components in its range?
Actually we'd like to use the tablet as remote, you think there's an app that covers the same functionality as a Harmony One?

Yes...the Harmony family of remotes are true universal remotes and they even add another dimensionality to the concept of remote control. A Harmony remote does more than just operate each piece of equipment...but operates your particular pieces of a system in tandem with each other through "activities."

You use the remote company's software and enter each of your specific HT pieces into the software. Then you set up your "activities." For example, you can have "watch TV." Push the "Watch TV" button and the TV, AVR and cable box all turn on. The volume control operates the AVR while the channel changer operates the cable box. In the meantime all the proper inputs are set.

If you then decide to "Watch DVD"...you push that button and the cable box turns off but the DVD player turns on and the TV and AVR stay on but change to the correct inputs to watch a disc.

Etc.

All very cool and surprisingly easy. Once the data is entered in the software, the remote is connected to the computer via USB cable and everything is downloaded into the remote quickly and easily.

I'm not sure of any software or app that can turn your tablet into a remote. If it's not out there, it should be...but I haven't heard of any.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Belkin makes an Iphone/Ipod/Ipad device that, more or less, makes your device work as if it had Next Generation inserted in the normal remote...
IE...
There is a "base blaster" that communicates with the Apple device...(they were clearance at Target a while back...not sure what the model number is)
But here is a similar device...
http://www.amazon.com/Gear4-UnityRemote-Universal-Remote-Control/dp/B00468G6PU/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1354416231&sr=1-3&keywords=ipad+blaster+remote

borisbastos

Auditioning
Real Name
bart
Thanks, i think the harmony one will do as i want though.
Apparently there are recievers that have an app for remote as well. Pioneer offers an iControlAV app for tablet or phone with there Pioneer VSX-827.
Looks fine as well. Anybody experiences on that?
I'm looking at receivers that have ethernet ports and are DLNA certified because i want to be streaming music from my pc to the receiver.
But if i'd connect a mediaplayer (connected to the home network) to my receiver, i guess i can do the same and i wouldn't need a dlna certified reciever?
Does a dlna certified reciever stream only music? I guess it doesn't support video formats to stream to the tv, you'd need a media player for that, right?
So if i'm right a media player would rule out any need for a dlna receiver?
slowly i'm untangling the complicated web of home theaters :)
Thx
B

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
There are zero, as in nada...zilch, AVR that handle streamed video.
So, if Netflix, Amazon TV, Hulu/plus etc are on your "streamed list"...then you need a media player/PC.

borisbastos

Auditioning
Real Name
bart
ok clear!
then it really doesn't matter if my receiver isn't dlna certified when i hook it up to the media player, right?
B

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Correct.
And, if you can swing it...this is the best thing out there(not this one, the overall idea)...
http://www.amazon.com/Acer-RL70-UR308-Desktop-Black/dp/B009QVQQ5C/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1355239383&sr=1-3&keywords=acer+revo
Yes it is $300. But, that is also a computer. Complete with wireless keyboard(and no I didn't "check specifics") and mouse.(some of those come with a wireless keyboard with a track pad, similar to the Logitech K400)
Point being. One of my theatres has one of those Acer Revo(the one I have is actually a Lenovo IdeaCentre that isn't available on Amazon, so I can't link it). The other computer I drag around is an HP laptop with a Logitech K400.

borisbastos

Auditioning
Real Name
bart
Looks good but i don't need another computer
I'm good having a mediaplayer connected to the network and using my pc at home as storage.
Saves me a lot on price too.
my bet: http://www.sitecom.com/network-tv-media-player/md-273/p/849
i think i can hook up a keyboard on that too.
Thx though!
B

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
That looks like it already comes with one.
But yeah, as long as it supports your video formats...good to go...(which most people I know that use video storage use MKV or AVI...and this one does both)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks