What's new

Matching CD Receiver with larger spears (1 Viewer)

Victor Gh

Auditioning
Real Name
Victor
Hi guys, I'm very excited to have found this place.

I have a basic question about matching a CD receiver with larger speakers.

I have a small CD receiver with stock speakers (Onkyo CR-325), recently I acquired much larger speakers (I don't know exact model, but they're ALTEC 75 Watts, I think it's an older model from the 90s with wooden frame).. The Onkyo CD receiver specs are as follow:

onkyo.JPG

I was wonder what would happen if I tried to connected the larger ALTEC 75 Watts speakers to this puny Onkyo receiver..

Also, is there a receive with a CD player that I can match with the ALTEC 75 Watts speakers ? (extra point if I can connect a turning-table to it as well).

Thanks so much,

Victor

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
Welcome to the forum!

You should be fine hooking up the larger speakers to your shelf system. I wouldn't expect it to get super loud unless they are very sensitive as 14 watts is not a lot of power. Just listen to it and if you start to hear it distort back the volume down. Other than that you should be just fine.

Receivers don't have built in CD players. A shelf system does and I think that's what you're asking for. Just do a search for a shelf system/mini system with aux inputs for your TT. Depending on your budget you should get plenty of options to come up.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
I'm not sure if that would be a good option but if you're liking the features, price, and looks go for it. We don't normally mess with mini/shelf systems as most don't have the inputs for HT. If you're just using this for music then I'm sure you're fine.

The speaker wattage is not that important nor is the amplifier wattage. What's more telling is the sensitivity of the speaker. The more sensitive a speaker the louder it will go with less power. The math is pretty simple you need double the power to go up three 3dB. So assume your speakers start at 85dB (just an example) they should get to about 100dB if you can get 30ish good watts out of that new unit.

dB Watts

85 1

88 2

91 4

94 8

97 16

100 32

As you can see even with fairly inefficient speakers you can approach 100dB which will be pretty loud with that new shelf system. (This doesn't take into account distance from the speakers, room variables ect.) If you like to listen to things really loud then you're either going to have to get more power or more efficient speakers. In your case I'm sure just about any unit will do you fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18
Recent bookmarks