What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Match Point on April 25th (1 Viewer)

Justin W

Stunt Coordinator
davisdvd is reporting this as the street date. and as usual no extra features. just an anamorphic transfer and DD2.0 mono track.

i can't wait. screenplay of the year without a doubt.

Joel C

Screenwriter
I'm sure you're kidding, but I believe all of Woody's films are anamorphic save the crappy Miramax releases.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I can't agree that it is the screenplay of the year. It's too similar to his Crimes and Misdemeanors from 1989. Viewers who have seen both films know what I'm talking about. It's also over 2 hours long. Has Allen ever made a movie over 2 hours before? The middle section with Jonathan Rhys Meyers and Scarlett Johannson's relationship falling apart goes on far too long. We got it the first time but Allen seemed to be hammering it home and it just felt like so much padding.

DavidBC

Second Unit
Just one. I would really like just one Woody Allen special edition. For anything. I don't care anymore! A special edition of Celebrity or Hollywood Ending would be fine at this point! I just want more then a trailer on ONE of my Allen DVDs.

Jerry R Colvin

Stunt Coordinator
Annie Hall - 2007 30th Anniversary Widescreen Anamorphic... That's all I'm asking for.... It was his only Best Picture, after all!

Match Point is great, by the way.... Not the same as Crimes & Misdemeanors which had elements of comedy in it.

Jace_A

Second Unit

There is no panning and scanning of Woody's 1.85:1 films. Perhaps you meant that his films are masked for 1.85:1 from a 1.33:1 negative. Most 1.85:1 films are, you know.

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will
I absolutely loved Match Point. My favourite film of the last 12 months by a long way.

C'mon Woody - would a trailer and a featurette really hurt that much?! I'm not asking for 15 commentary tracks and a ten-hour documentary... Just SOMETHING!!!!

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor
I think it's a unfair to simply call Match Point a Crimes and Misdemeanors retread. Ebert wrote that Match Point was Allen's best movie since Crimes and Misdemeanors, so out of curiosity, I rented Crimes and Misdemeanors just two days before watching Match Point, and if the movies were too similar, I'd be the first one to complain about it.

When I saw Match Point, I did notice some very similar story elements and even scenes and dialogue between the two movies, but in the end, I felt that Match Point was different enough that it could be enjoyed as a movie that stands on its own as much more than just a rehash of Crimes and Misdemeanors. As mentioned before, Crimes and Misdemeanors is half comedy, half drama, while Match Point is a straight drama, with just a few occasional comedic moments thrown in.

Crimes and Misdemeanors may have a similar set-up and plot to that of Match Point, but the twists and turns that Match Point takes are completely original, as is its ending. Because I had seen Crimes and Misdemeanors a few days before Match Point, halfway into Match Point I was afraid that it would end up being disappointing because the two movies were too similar and would end similarly because Woody had run out of ideas and was ripping himself off, but I was blown away by the final scenes of Match Point, and felt that Woody proved that he's still incredibly creative with their brilliantly shocking events.

Chris Minogue

Stunt Coordinator
I loved this movie. Easily one of the best screenplays of the year. The ending is simply BRILLIANT.

It's sad that there will be no features, but it does not come as a surprise.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassidylhorne
Recent bookmarks