What's new

MASTER BURN-IN THREAD: READ THIS FIRST! (And ask follow-ups here.) (2 Viewers)

JohnPhi

Stunt Coordinator
Well,

I am one paranoid boy right now. When i got tivo, I put it in the bedroom because i watch a lot of shows each week and know they have logos......CBS and so on. Now these logo appear to be transparent, so I don't know if that matters or not, but I am taking no chances. It is just bad that I can't watch stuff like that on the tv. I had decided to just watch dvd's on it, but now thatis a problem. Most of the good movies are 2:35.1, so that means no filling the screen.....I try to wat two of the 1:85.1 titles for every one of the other i watch to compensate, but who knows. I would like to hear from others on their watching habbits please

JasonFour

Auditioning
I have a different spin on this thread--are particular brands more likely to get burn-in? Anybody who has seen or experienced burn-in, which TV was it?

Still can't decide!!!!! RPTV or direct view?

JASON

andrew lewis

Agent
I had a 55" mits platinum plus for about 3 months before I burnt EA Sports and a scoreboard into the top righthand corner of it. I sold that tv for $2000, and recently picked up a Hitachi 51F500 and haven't played xbox on it since.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Man, reading this thread has gotten me paranoid...

I've been cansually looking at new TVs for a while now, but haven't really had the money to buy something to replace my 32" JVC. Now I'm not sure if I want to, since I'll probably end up burning something into it from either TV, DVDs, or one of my many game systems. The point is-I want to be able to turn my TV on and watch-not think about what ratio I've been using, or how long I've run a particular game. Is there really no way to do that other than a CRT? It seems like all of the projection technologies (save for front) have some of these burn in problems...

The one thing I haven't seen in this thread though-is there a solution to the problem? If your screen gets burnt in, what is the typical cost to fix/replace it?

JasonFour

Auditioning
I'll be honest, I was also looking for an RPTV and decided against it, for both size issues and burn-in fears--I gotta say I'm glad I did. I got a Sony Wega 32" and while it's size is not quite what I wanted I'm quite pleased. The picture clarity is fantastic and LOW MAINTENANCE. But most importantly the other day I went to check my email which should have taken two minutes. One link led to another and two hours later I go back to the living room to see my TV left with several static elements on the TV--didn't have to worry. I had a two hour marathon of NHL2k5 to celebrate my new TV-didn't have to worry! Personally, I think the size trade off was worth the peace of mind. Besides, the money I saved by buying a 32" now, means in a couple of years when the burn-free gamer friendly DLP tv's come down in price I'll be ready to go!

Just my 2 cents
JASON

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
Besides, the money I saved by buying a 32" now, means in a couple of years when the burn-free gamer friendly DLP tv's come down in price I'll be ready to go!
Of course, with DLP come other problems, which may or may not be more damaging than any problems you'd have with CRT RPTV.
For every story of burn-in, there's another story of the opposite. My boss has a two year old Mitsubishi 65" that his kids play PS2 on ALL THE TIME, and he doesn't have a hint of burn-in.

KennyG

Grip
Another question, if your speakers are said to be magnetically shielded (Infinitys), then why would my TV (Hitachi 32udx10s) still suffer from the color fading in the corners? (I had a purity kit installed once and now it's hapening in another area of the television).

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
he may be talking image quality, rainbows, SDE, etc etc etc.

If you take care of your CRT properly, you should get the best performance.

Ron_Yeoh

Grip
Hi all ,
I just had my new Pioneer 435 installed and watched three football matches on Ssturday night in a row. Even with flicking over to other channels at halftimes etc, I could see the ESPN Live logo burned in the next morning..sigh. Is this likely to fade with more judicious usage or am I going to burn this area out even more when I watch ESPN live again??? Thanks.
Ron

Wow. Not saying you're lying or anything, cuz I believe you. It's hard to believe that watching 3 football games would be enough to burn in anything. Unless, possibly, your brightness and such were through the roof. I feel for ya tho......

I'm going on 6 months now on my Pany 53" RPTV, and we watch alot of shows (especially off the TIVO) from USA, TNT, PAX, FOX, etc, which all have their logos onscreen all the time during the shows, and I'm not seeing any burn-in at all. I've got my brightness and picture settings at 23 (on a scale of 64), and everything's fine right now. My wife has a bad habit of pausing the TIVO and then walking off, so I've gotten on her a few times about that....

Mike W.

Ron_Yeoh

Grip
Yes..I was mortified that my brand new plasma was so afflicted...the burned area is still there but less so today....how can I watch more football in peace though? Sigh. Do you know if the burn in is permanent?

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Ron: Plasmas have another funny thing that looks like burn-in, but really isn't. Plasmas can have very slow time for the cells to "return" to the off position if they've been displaying the same thing for a while. This sounds like what you were seeing, especially if you note that it appears and diminishes in a short period of time. So I wouldn't be necessarily worried, but just make sure you are calibrated and have lower white level settings.

Ron_Yeoh

Grip
Thanks Chris. I have reduced my brightness and contrast levels from the preset levels and hopefully this will help. I wonder when these channels will stop imposing their logos on us!
Ron

Will Bla**

Auditioning
I read most of this thread. I have a question that has not been specifically addressed (or I missed it).

Some one here mentioned that an HDTV may be more susceptible to burn-in than a standard definition CRT TV. Is this true?

I have a 17 year old CRT. It has no burn in that I have noticed. I would assume that a CRT is mostly burn-in free based on this? Or were the older CRTs more resistant to burn-in?

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Guh. Did you guys read the thread at all?

Phosphor-based displays lose light output over time. This means CRTs (CRTs use phosphors to emit light) and plasmas.

*ANY* phosphor based display will be susceptible to burn in, inherent to the diminishing light output of the phosphors over time, due to heat/use. The degree of how quickly they will wear depends on the particular phosphor, and the usage of that phosphor.

Displays that do not use phosphors don't suffer this problem, but may suffer from other problems. DLPs, LCD, and LCOS based displays are widely cited as being burn-in free, though there have been some limited reports of LCD panel retention for particularly brutal use.

Will Bla**

Auditioning
Thanks for the feedback. However, my main question is;

"Some one here mentioned that an HDTV may be more susceptible to burn-in than a standard definition CRT TV. Is this true?"

I have had a standard definition monitor for 17 years. It has been on for several hours a day (5-6). Watching standard cable, VHS, DVD, and playing occasional PS and PS2 games. The set has suffered no burn-in. Can I expect the same performance from a HD CRT.

Thanks in advance.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
The resolution should not necessarily effect the burn-in. Obviously, there are different types of CRT displays, direct views are the least susceptible to wear problems, while Projection CRTs are much moreso.

So if you get a direct view HD set, you should expect to have to worry about burn in about the same, i.e. not much at all if you calibrate so you're not in "torch mode."

The only reason I mention the projection, is that many buyers that are moving towards HDTVs are getting larger displays, hence rear-projection units. It's not the HD part of this that is the difference, but rather the projection that uses CRTs differently, and will be more susceptible to burn in.

Now whether you can expect the same life-time of use from a set now as from a very old one, I dunno. I would have to err on the no side, in that older sets seem to be more resiliantly designed rather than today's more mass-produced cheapie sets. But this is a longevity factor of electronics and nothing to do with phosphor wear.

Tony Kwong

Supporting Actor
I have burn in on my old direct view Mitsubishi 32" I bought in the early 1990's. I was mostly watching LTBX LaserDisc and VHS on that set. It can be seen if I have a all white test pattern where you see uneven brightness. Most of the time it is not noticeable unless you really look for it..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks