What's new

Pre-Order Marlowe (2022) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
87ddb5b3-3d09-482c-bd74-9f2cd4a4ac0f.png

WATCH AT HOME NOW
LIAM NEESON’S 100
TH FEATURE FILM
FROM OSCAR®-WINNING DIRECTOR NEIL JORDAN
f8aa6769-65c4-e73a-49b9-0dbd2ac12a18.png
OWN OR RENT EXCLUSIVELY ON PARTICIPATING DIGITAL PLATFORMS
COMING TO BLU-RAYTM AND DVD APRIL 18, 2023
FROM UNIVERSAL PICTURES HOME ENTERTAINMENT
18d8320c-3c77-5ae4-0db0-16e3e14decf2.jpg
Universal City, California, March 7, 2023 – Liam Neeson (Memory, Blacklight) stars in his 100thfeature film and joins the roster of iconic Hollywood talent portraying Raymond Chandler’s hard-boiled private detective Phillip Marlowe in Open Road Film’s MARLOWE, now available to own or rent on digital at home from Universal Pictures Home Entertainment. A gripping noir crime thriller that will keep you guessing, the film also debuts on Blu-ray™ and DVD April 18, 2023 and will continue to be available to own in high definition and standard definition from participating digital retailers.

From Academy Award®-winning director Neil Jordan (The Crying Game), MARLOWE features a star-studded ensemble cast alongside Neeson including Academy Award® winner Jessica Lange (Blue Sky, Tootsie, The Gambler), Diane Kruger (Inglorious Basterds, Unknown, The Infiltrator), Emmy Award®nominee Alan Cumming (The Good Wife, Battle of the Sexes, X2: X-Men United), and Golden Globes®nominee Danny Huston (The Constant Gardener, The Aviator, 21 Grams).

Set in late 1930’s Bay City, MARLOWE centers around a street-wise, down on his luck detective; Philip Marlowe (Liam Neeson), who is hired to find the ex-lover of a glamorous heiress (Diane Kruger), daughter of a well-known movie star (Jessica Lange). The disappearance unearths a web of lies, and soon Marlowe is involved in a dangerous, deadly investigation where everyone involved has something to hide.

With the purchase of MARLOWE on disc or Digital, fans are eligible to earn points towards digital movies via the Universal All-Access Rewards program. Members can redeem their points for digital movies, swag and more! For registration and details please visit www.MyUniversalRewards.com.
FILMMAKERS:
Cast: Liam Neeson, Diane Kruger, Jessica Lange, Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje, Ian Hart, Colm Meaney, Daniela Melchior, François Arnaud, Seána Kerslake with Danny Huston and Alan Cumming
Casting By: Dan Hubbard CSC, CSA
Hair Designer: Lorraine Glynn
Costume Designer: Betsy Heimann
Music By: David Holmes
Editor: Mick Mahon
Production Designer: John Beard
Director of Photography: Xavi Giménez AEC
Executive Producers: Elisabeth C de B Segel, Patrick Muldoon, Harris Tulchin, Juan Antonio García Peredo, Alberto Burgueño, Andreas Wentz, Celine Haddad, Monte Lipman, Dana Sano, Jared D. Underwood, Andrew C. Robinson, Slava Vladimirov, Peter M. Lenkov, A.J. Buckley
Spanish Producer: Colette Aguilar
French Producer: Victor Hadida
Producers: Philip Kim, Patrick Hibler
Produced By: Alan Moloney p.g.a., Gary Levinsohn p.g.a., Mark Fasano p.g.a., Billy Hines
Based Upon The Book: “The Black-Eyed Blonde” by John Banville
Screenplay By: William Monahan and Neil Jordan
Directed By: Neil Jordan

TECHNICAL INFORMATION BLU-RAYTM:
Street Date: April 18, 2023
Selection Number: 1000824501 (US)
Layers: BD 50
Aspect Ratio: 16:9 2.40:1 Widescreen
Rating: Rated R for language, violent content, some sexual material and brief drug use.
Subtitles: English SDH and Latin American Spanish
Languages/Sound: English (DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1)
Run Time: 01:49:33

TECHNICAL INFORMATION DVD:
Street Date: April 18, 2023
Selection Number: 1000824502 (US)
Layers: DVD 9
Aspect Ratio: 16:9 2.40:1 Anamorphic Widescreen
Rating: Rated R for language, violent content, some sexual material and brief drug use.
Subtitles: English SDH and Latin American Spanish
Languages/Sound: English (Dolby Digital 5.1)
Run Time: 01:49:40

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited:

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I didn't see it but the trailer didn't impress me all that much so I really wasn't planning to. If anybody's asking, however, I'd LOVE a blu-ray of James Garner's Marlowe (1969) At least that one was fun! :) (I first watched it with my grandfather when I was far too young to see it and couldn't figure out why the lady from The Electric Company was stripping on TV)

Last edited:

Sultanofcinema

Second Unit
Real Name
Joseph Barrett
Not interested (although I did find Farewell My Lovely (with Robert Mitchum enjoyable). But like Will, would love to have a blu ray and get rid of my DVD of the James Garner version from 1969 that I saw theatrically several times and have a Blu-ray copy. Rita Moreno was red hot in this. And I know, Bruce Lee "kicks up a storm".

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Not interested (although I did find Farewell My Lovely (with Robert Mitchum enjoyable). But like Will, would love to have a blu ray and get rid of my DVD of the James Garner version from 1969 that I saw theatrically several times and have a Blu-ray copy. Rita Moreno was red hot in this. And I know, Bruce Lee "kicks up a storm".

I ADORE Farewell, My Lovely (and even, at times, have a soft spot for Mitchum's The Big Sleep follow up) but this just didn't interest me from the get-go, and it really should have. I grew up watching mysteries and noirs with my grandfather (he loved them, I think he would have been happy as a 1940's private eye in another life) and it's created a life-long love affair with them in me as a result. The trailer made it feel warmed-over at best and Neeson just seems wrong. I hated the fact that they eschewed an original Chandler for a Benjamin Black (John Banville) interpretation and the reviews have been almost uniformly brutal.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I saw this the other week solely because it was the only movie playing in the time slot I had available to go out. I figured, Liam Neeson, legendary detective character, how bad could it be?

The guy next to me fell asleep.

Then I fell asleep.

I don’t think I’ve ever fallen asleep in a movie theater before.

I was disappointed when I woke up and found that I had only missed five minutes and still had an hour to go.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I saw this the other week solely because it was the only movie playing in the time slot I had available to go out. I figured, Liam Neeson, legendary detective character, how bad could it be?

The guy next to me fell asleep.

Then I fell asleep.

I don’t think I’ve ever fallen asleep in a movie theater before.

I was disappointed when I woke up and found that I had only missed five minutes and still had an hour to go.
I tried to warn you guys in that thread in Movies.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I tried to warn you guys in that thread in Movies.

I think I saw your warning but it was either Marlowe or no movie, and I went under the assumption that it was better to get out of the house for a couple hours while I had the opportunity to than not at all. In that sense, I don’t regret it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I think I saw your warning but it was either Marlowe or no movie, and I went under the assumption that it was better to get out of the house for a couple hours while I had the opportunity to than not at all. In that sense, I don’t regret it.
My matinee ticket was only $6.00, I was entertained a little bit, but it wasn't a good movie.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I've not seen it but as an almost Jessica Lange completist, I'll be adding it to my collection. Still, missing titles from my JL collection: Far North, The Vow, The Gambler, Feud: Bette And Joan and my most desired JL title, Cat On A Hot Tin Roof.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Thanks guys. I was on the fence about this, as I also love 40's hard-boiled detectives, and though the reviews were pretty bad, I thought, well, Mr. Neeson isn't my idea of Philip Marlowe but with Neil Jordan directing, it couldn't be THAT bad. Guess it is, though.

BTW, I've seen pictures of Ms. Lange's wig, and though I adore her, the inappropriateness and cluelessness of it seems to sum up what's wrong with the film.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
it couldn't be THAT bad.

That’s sort of the problem - it’s not bad enough to be entertaining. It’s just boring and indifferent. Liam Neeson’s yearly action pictures are more fun. They’re not usually great either but they usually set out what they accomplish to do.

Sultanofcinema

Second Unit
Real Name
Joseph Barrett
I remember when Liam Neeson used to be an actor and then he made Taken and a dozen other films with different titles that were exactly the same.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I remember when Liam Neeson used to be an actor and then he made Taken and a dozen other films with different titles that were exactly the same.
TBH, I liked the Taken movies and some of those other action movies. However, he was miscast in this latest film version as Philip Marlowe.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Since this has been poorly reviewed by everyone, I'll wait to stream it before buying a disc. Neeson's recent films have been watchable but forgettable, the only one I have really liked is Cold Pursuit, plus it looks great on 4k disc.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yes, I'm such a fan of detective movies, I'll definitely opt for the streaming version (at a decent price) even with the poor reviews. I'll think of it as part of my Philip Marlowe collection.

Sultanofcinema

Second Unit
Real Name
Joseph Barrett
My friend used to run Tower Video in the 80's in Paramus, N.J. Neeson used to come in with Natasha Richardson, both dressed always in black. Neeson would purchase hundreds of dollars of Horror films on Laserdisc and charge them with a credit card. Then he would ask for the carbon copy, fold it and put it in his jacket pocket.

billO'

Stunt Coordinator
I saw it in a theater for $5.50 at a matinee. As a huge fan of Chandler, anything with Philip Marlowe piques my interest enough to check out. I didn't think it sucked...but it was disappointing and just kind of blah. The film had a strange vibe; it never really took off as a thriller, and the hard-boiled private dick dialogue wasn't all that hard-boiled or witty to be memorable. Also, it didn't help the mise-en-scene that the exteriors were all filmed in Spain so I didn't for a second believe it was Los Angeles (I lived there for over 20 years). Also, it didn't help that they just couldn't resist having the conclusion see the daughter of the former movie star become chief of the film studio, and the noble black henchman of the villain appointed chief of security at same studio. Yeah, that's really plausible for 1939.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mattbuffalo
Recent bookmarks