What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Pre-Order Mark of the Vampire (1935) (Warner Archive Collection) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
61sGRyAk0NL._SX522_.jpg

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
Warner has the property and materials for several things with Bela Lugosi
(including "You'll Find Out" and "The Saint's Double Trouble"):

I think a perfect pairing would be Val Lewton's classic "I Walked With A Zombie" coupled with "Zombies On Broadway" (which has Bela ruling the same Zombie as the Lewton film and the same Calypso singer doing his brief thing).

Yes, I know others might pair "Zombies on Broadway" with "Genius At Work" as both co-star Bela with the short-termed RKO team of Brown & Carney (who were good actors but no Abbott & Costello and no team charisma) —
My counter would be that the passable (for its time) Zombie comedy has more in common with the classic "I Walked With A Zombie" —
Bela is 4th banana in the lesser film, "Genius At Work", and Genius really has no common story ground with the better comedy "Zombies On Broadway" (in which Bela is the chief villain and given the star treatment).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Some of the screen shots here are pretty amazing. https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Mark-of-the-Vampire-Blu-ray/323093/#Review
The reviewer says "A trusted source has informed me that the raw material used for this restoration was a 4K scan from the original nitrate negative"

View attachment 156139
View attachment 156140
Actually, George Feltenstein confirmed on the latest "The Extras" Podcast that a 4K scan of the OCN was used for this Blu-ray Release. That's a rarity for old MGM films because most MGM OCNs from that film era have been lost.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Any word yet on which special features this will have?

Audio commentary from Kim Newman and Stephen Jones
2 period shorts
Trailer

Blu-ray looks amazing! I don't think it's much of a movie but this is another impressive release from WA.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
The film's not one of my favorites but a transfer from the OCN is a huge incentive to me. These new transfers really give the best indication of what the film makers intended and make enough of a difference (to me) to justify a purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TThomps
Recent bookmarks