What's new

Marilyn Monroe on blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I cannot think why Fox is holding off on Monroe titles?

Fox seems to have gotten out of the catalog business for the most part. They've been licensing off a lot of stuff, but not a lot (if any) classic titles have come out recently through their own label. I think the Studio Classics line they launched around 2012-2013 had underwhelming sales figures, and there might have been hints that the costs of preparing those titles for Blu-ray were not recouped by sales. I think it must have been the same story with their Blu-ray for An Affair To Remember - none of their other Grant titles followed on Blu-ray, whereas if the disc had sold better, I bet they would have.

I suspect it's purely on the sales numbers. Combine that with the fact that many home video departments have experienced a lot of layoffs, and there isn't the staff there to go through and prepare all of these titles for release. Most retail stores won't carry them anyway. So they're moving to a licensing arrangement. Kino recently signed a deal with Fox for their studio classics - I'm just speculating but I think there's a really good chance we'll see the Monroe titles from Kino at some point.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Fox seems to have gotten out of the catalog business for the most part. They've been licensing off a lot of stuff, but not a lot (if any) classic titles have come out recently through their own label. I think the Studio Classics line they launched around 2012-2013 had underwhelming sales figures, and there might have been hints that the costs of preparing those titles for Blu-ray were not recouped by sales. I think it must have been the same story with their Blu-ray for An Affair To Remember - none of their other Grant titles followed on Blu-ray, whereas if the disc had sold better, I bet they would have.

I suspect it's purely on the sales numbers. Combine that with the fact that many home video departments have experienced a lot of layoffs, and there isn't the staff there to go through and prepare all of these titles for release. Most retail stores won't carry them anyway. So they're moving to a licensing arrangement. Kino recently signed a deal with Fox for their studio classics - I'm just speculating but I think there's a really good chance we'll see the Monroe titles from Kino at some point.

Watching Monkey Business on prime. I would love to buy this one on blu Ray!

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Brad here. I ended up buying most of the Marilyn titles that came in the Forever Marilyn years.
If she had lived I would love to have seen her in some new roles, like maybe a female starship captain on a Star Trek film or ST-TNG.

plektret

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
If she had lived I would love to have seen her in some new roles, like maybe a female starship captain on a Star Trek film or ST-TNG.
I would've liked to see her in unconventional arthouse films by perhaps Antonioni, Rohmer or Rivette, where she could have proven to the rest of the world what I already know, that she was one of our most genuinely talented emotional actresses ever. I think The Misfits got a arthouse feel to it.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Personally, I found Monroe's treatment by Fox on Blu-ray very disappointing.

Gentlemen Prefer Blondes? - excessive DNR, waxy images.
River of No Return - atrocious teal/beige color bias - not in keeping with color by DeLuxe
The Misfits - gritty and inconsistent gray scale
How to Marry A Millionaire - color fading
The two best offerings were the ones Fox deigned to release afterward - Bus Stop and, in particular, Niagara, which has NEVER looked better! Wow!

If Fox really wanted to do right by Monroe, they would go back and do 4K remasters of all of the aforementioned; also, Some Like It Hot and There's No Business Like Show Business, throw in complete restorations of Don't Bother to Knock, O'Henry's Playhouse, Monkey Business, Let's Make It Legal, Let's Make Love, and Monroe's final, incomplete movie that never was, and, throw in expert audio commentaries on each movie and new docs, featurettes, outtakes, etc. on Monroe who, despite having been dead for more than 50 plus years, continues to reign supreme as one of the most iconic and frequently revived glamour gals of ANY vintage - the template by which most, if not all modern era actresses who fancy themselves as sex bombs continue to emulate or cheaply copy with little directly comparative success. But again, it's Fox.

Just look at their latest loan outs to Kino Lorber - the Mark of Zorro, Daddy Long Legs, and, Road House in particular: zero clean up, restoration or remastering. Evidently, Fox has ZERO interest in doing right by their already much maligned deep catalog or by now we would have seen such iconic movies as The Rains Came, Star!, True Lies, Down Argentine Way, The Abyss, Woman's World, Wilson, Forever Amber, Doctor Doolittle, et. et al, and, virtually all of their classic Shirley Temple movies on Blu-ray - remastered - by now.

But no - just a lot of A-grade movies given C-grade treatment via third party distributors. How sad. Not shocking. Just sad!

Last edited:

plektret

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
Personally, I found Monroe's treatment by Fox on Blu-ray very disappointing.

Gentlemen Prefer Blondes? - excessive DNR, waxy images.
River of No Return - atrocious teal/beige color bias - not in keeping with color by DeLuxe
The Misfits - gritty and inconsistent gray scale
How to Marry A Millionaire - color fading
The two best offerings were the ones Fox deigned to release afterward - Bus Stop and, in particular, Niagara, which has NEVER looked better! Wow!

If Fox really wanted to do right by Monroe, they would go back and do 4K remasters of all of the aforementioned; also, Some Like It Hot and There's No Business Like Show Business, throw in complete restorations of Don't Bother to Knock, O'Henry's Playhouse, Monkey Business, Let's Make It Legal, Let's Make Love, and Monroe's final, incomplete movie that never was, and, throw in expert audio commentaries on each movie and new docs, featurettes, outtakes, etc. on Monroe who, despite having been dead for more than 70 years, continues to reign supreme as one of the most iconic and frequently revived glamour gals of ANY vintage. But again, it's Fox.

Just look at their latest loan outs to Kino Lorber - the Mark of Zorro, Daddy Long Legs, and, Road House in particular: zero clean up, restoration or remastering. Evidently, Fox has ZERO interest in doing right by their already much maligned deep catalog or by now we would have seen such iconic movies as The Rains Came, Star!, True Lies, Down Argentine Way, The Abyss, Woman's World, Wilson, Forever Amber, Doctor Doolittle, et. et al, and, virtually all of their classic Shirley Temple movies on Blu-ray - remastered - by now.

But no - just a lot of A-grade movies given C-grade treatment via third party distributors. How sad. Not shocking. Just sad!
Great post :thumbsup: I completely agree. It is very sad for huge :wub:Marilyn:wub: addicts like me :(.

Her full catalog given a Criterion type of treatment with high quality restorations free of any filtering, respecting the films original look with no modernized color balance plus original audio mixes without any filtering would be so lovely. Even the highly regarded BD of Niagara has too much filtering in some places, destroying the illusion that I'm watching analog film. No overrestorations please :excl:

I'd also like too see all the outtakes from Something's Got To Give that are available on Youtube with new HD scans. They don't necessarily need to restore them, just make them look like film.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Marilyn is the only actor/actress that still makes my heart beat faster everytime I see her:wub:.

I need this on Blu-Ray:

1. The Prince and the Showgirl
2. Don't Bother to Knock
3. New HD master of "Gentlemen prefer Blondes" without DNR!
4. Monkey Business
5. Let's make Love
6. The Asphalt Jungle
7. Something's Got to Give EDIT
8. Non-teal version of "The River of no Return"
9. Clash By Night

Good list. Hopefully many of these are released in the next year.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Marilyn is the only actor/actress that still makes my heart beat faster everytime I see her:wub:.

I need this on Blu-Ray:

1. The Prince and the Showgirl
2. Don't Bother to Knock
3. New HD master of "Gentlemen prefer Blondes" without DNR!
4. Monkey Business
5. Let's make Love
6. The Asphalt Jungle
7. Something's Got to Give EDIT
8. Non-teal version of "The River of no Return"
9. Clash By Night

Asphalt jungle is on the way!! Criterion...

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Asphalt-Jungle-Blu-ray/44307/#Castandcrew

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I rewatched gentlemen prefer blondes. Only the 2nd time I had seen it. Really like this one.

I think river of no return or misfits are up next. I haven't see either of them before.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Giving there's no business like show business another spin!!!
Everything about it is appealing, everything that traffic will allow

Nowhere could you get that happy feeling when you are stealing that extra bow
There's no people like show people, they smile when they are low
Even with a turkey that you know will fold, you may be stranded out in the cold
Still you wouldn't change it for a sack of gold, let's go on with the show :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks