What's new

Marantz, Denon, Onkyo ??? (1 Viewer)

Hi,
I'm in the process of shopping my HT and I've narrowed down my choice to these speakers and receivers. I'm going to listen to them this week but any comments from this forum would be very welcomed !
At the "Audio Centre", they have:
Marantz 5200
PSB speakers: Image 4T (front), Image 8C (center), Image 1B (surround) and SubZero
Boston speakers: VR940 (front), VR910 (center), CR65 (surround) and SubZero (PSB)
At "Dumoulin Electronics", they have:
Denon 1802 or Onkyo 595
Energy speakers: XL26 (front), XLC (center), XL16 (surround) and XLS8 (Sub)
At "La Boutique Electronique", the have:
Onkyo 595
Paradigm speakers: Monitor 7 (front), CC370 (center), Mini-monitor (surround) and PDR10 (sub)
This is all in my budget (3000 CDN$) and Pro Logic II is an interesting feature that I want. 6.1 decoding is optional.
What are your thoughts on these combinations ? I can't wait to listen to them but any hint on what to listen for would be appreciated.
I have a lot of feedback for the speakers but nothing for the receivers. Any information on these would also be appreciated.
Do you think that all these receivers could go with these speakers ? Would it be wise to buy Denon at one store and PSB at the other ??
Thank you very much !
Patrick

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Bobby T

Supporting Actor
These are all good products. The best thing is for you to do a lot of listening, and take your own Cds and DVDs. And yes it is possible that a reciver from one store and speakers from another will sound best together.
------------------
What are we going to do tomorrow night Brain?
The same thing we do every night Pinky, try to take over the world!
Pinky and the Brain

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
i'd go either Marantz and PSB or Marantz and Paradigm. the 5200 is an excellent receiver, and (although i haven't heard the polks) i think either the PSB's or the Paradigms will generate the best sound.
and as Bobby said, see if you can demo the stuff in-store with music/movies you like and are famaliar with.
------------------
-Thomas
Click here to visit my webpage.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
My personal preference would be Denon and Paradigm. Onkyo and Paradigm would be my second. The Marantz is a great machine but I dislike the 100hz crossover for bass management.
However, you should be able to do better than that for $3000 Cdn. I've been pricing out similar equipment for my parents, and with a little haggling it should be relatively easy to get Monitor7, MiniMonitor, CC370, PW2200 and a Denon 1802 or Onkyo 696 for right around $3000 after taxes (that would be 13% for me). Especially if you are buying all of it at once with cash. Go a couple hundred over $3000 and a 2802 or a 3801 (should be cheap with the 3802 coming out) should be in the budget.
------------------
Dustin
[email protected]
My Adire Tempest Sonosub

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
So the 5200 sets the x-over at 100Hz huh ?
frown.gif

------------------
Chuck
http://www.hometheaterinsider.com

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
100Hz is a BIT high, but I can't say that it has been a problem for me at all. I have the 6200 and it is a great receiver for the price. My recommendation would be to actually go for the 6200 instead of the 5200 for the added power and one or two nicer features.
I was considering similar choices, from the same brands of receivers, and I chose the Marantz because it does so well with music.
For speakers, I'd also say you can't go wrong with the PSBs or the Paradigms.
------------------
All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
to live beyond it's income.
ITRCA ** Link Removed (sorry, car guy)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adityalbarrett
Recent bookmarks