What's new

Luise Rainer passed away at 104! (1 Viewer)

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
She led a long, fruitful life before and after her Hollywood "don't know what to do with her" stint.
I will never forget the telephone scene in the bloated "The Great Ziegfeld," (Allo, Flo?); and her mostly silent role as the strong, resilient O-Lan in "The Good Earth." No wonder Muni's last words are: "O-Lan, you are the earth". Her acting was done mostly through the eyes and delicate gestures.
Unfortunately, her first film is in rights' hell because it is a remake of a European film, so we can not see it. Ironically, the European film is available.
Time to rest, first winner of 2 consecutive Best Actress Oscars. You left your mark on us.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
I was fortunate enough to catch a glimpse of Luise Rainer in London last year when she was only a mere 103, outside of her home in Eaton Square, which was formerly owned by Vivien Leigh. She still looked beautiful and had on her signature skullcap and was dressed beautifully. It's a memory I'll never forget.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
She attended a screening of "Escapade" at a Cinecon in Hollywood in the early 90s. She seemed very happy and content with her life, she knew who she was and she didn't need Hollywood. She didn't seem bitter, but rather matter-of-fact about it all. I'm sure she had a wonderful life. God bless her.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks