What's new

LOW SOUND: Monsters Inc. (1 Viewer)

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
TS2 is normal and good.

It is better to have louder discs than low discs.

WHY - because when you switch sources, you won't be BOMBASTED with the volume knob being too high due to a FRIGGIN' low DVD.

does it make sense now folks?

ps. before someone throws the opposite, there are probably 98% low sounding discs than there are overloud ones.

if you will:

1% overloud
65% normal
34% too low (and growing, eating into the normal %)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
That's what dialnorm is supposed to cure.
Dialnorm is only one of many variables that affect overall volume. It provides a tool to help maintain a consistent volume level for dialogue among various sources, assuming it's used consistently (which it isn't). But if a soundtrack is recorded at an unusually low level, dialnorm is neither the cause nor the cure.
I don't have Monsters, Inc. yet, but based on the usual practice with Buena Vista releases, I'd be willing to bet that the dialnorm setting is -27dBFS, which is the default setting that appears on 90% of the discs out there.
M.

Frank Kanyak

Stunt Coordinator
I just watched Monsters Inc... This was the first time I ever saw the two cows THX intro. Actually it wasn't bad. My favorite in order for THX intro's are TPM "Sphere", then T2. The "EX" mix was nice, yes there was plenty of 25-30hz going on throughout the movie. I watched it at -13 from reference with the kids in the room and I was still impressed. Well I hope everyone else enjoys the movie!!! Be sure to check out disc 2, the kids spent about an hour with the extras!!!

ChristopherS

Second Unit
After reading all these posts I am happy I decided to buy the Sonic Frontiers AVM-20. It comes with a "Remote Control"! With it I can adjust the volume of my home theater system, FROM MY CHAIR! It is amazing. It makes life so much easier. Now I don't care if the DVD's are too loud or too quiet, with the touch of a button (FROM MY CHAIR) I can make it perfect. :D
Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks