What's new

Low Audio issue after connect cable box (1 Viewer)

Brewder

Grip
Real Name
Troy
Hello,

I have an audio question about my setup I'm hoping someone can help me with.

I had my Vizio (M55-C2) setup with a direct cable feed and an optical cable to my Vizio Sound bar (SB3821). I use optical between the TV and the Soundbar as the Soundbar only has Coax, Optical, and RCA for audio input. Everything worked great and all sound levels were just fine.

My cable company then forced me to use a cable box. I connected the cable box to the TV using an HDMI cable.

The problem is, the sound is terribly LOW when I watch cable TV. I have to turn the soundbar almost up to MAX volume to get decent levels of volume... Then if I switch to something like NetFlix or Amazon Prime (any of the built-in Vizio apps), the sound is absolutely BLASTING.

Why did adding the cable box screw with the audio for cable? No combination of settings I can find on the TV seem to help so I'm here looking for any advice.

Thanks!
//Brew

Brewder

Grip
Real Name
Troy
Ignore me. :) I figured it out shortly after posting. I used the video below and these simple steps for my PACE/Arris box:

1. Press the setup button until the light blinks twice
2. Press Mute
3. Now adjust the cable box specific volume setting.
4. Press the setup button again until the light blinks twice
5. Press the Volume Up button.
6. Life is good.

//Brew

ChrisOC

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Peterson
Hello,

I have an audio question about my setup I'm hoping someone can help me with.

I had my Vizio (M55-C2) setup with a direct cable feed and an optical cable to my Vizio Sound bar (SB3821). I use optical between the TV and the Soundbar as the Soundbar only has Coax, Optical, and RCA for audio input. Everything worked great and all sound levels were just fine.

My cable company then forced me to use a cable box. I connected the cable box to the TV using an HDMI cable.

The problem is, the sound is terribly LOW when I watch cable TV. I have to turn the soundbar almost up to MAX volume to get decent levels of volume... Then if I switch to something like NetFlix or Amazon Prime (any of the built-in Vizio apps), the sound is absolutely BLASTING.

Why did adding the cable box screw with the audio for cable? No combination of settings I can find on the TV seem to help so I'm here looking for any advice.

Thanks!
//Brew

I don't know if this will help, coming so long after the initial post. I was actually searching for something else, but low volume from a cable box caught my eye because I've seen the same thing.

Go to the cable box's settings and look for a switch for Volume Control, or something like that. If it's set to Fixed, change to Variable (or leave it at Variable if that's the case), then back out and see if check the cable box's volume. You may find that the box's own volume is set low (probably for safety). If so, crank it up to max, then go back and change the Volume Control to Fixed.

NOTE: Some boxes have controls on their face, but some require the cable remote, and some cable remotes automatically move the volume control to the TV if you've added a TV code to the remote. If that's the case, you'll need to reset the remote to allow it to change the box's volume.

I hope this makes sense, and that it helps.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks