What's new

Looney Tunes Golden Collection Volume 5 (2 Viewers)

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I think the next and fast-forward buttons were locked out, but you could use the menu button to skip these intros.

Kevin L McCorry

Second Unit

I don't know, I can't envision The Bugs Bunny Show with pre-1948 cartoons and B&W Porkys, Boskos, and Buddys being highlighted. It seems a totally alien concept.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
I read that Freleng didn't like Tweety; he thought only Sylvester made those cartoons interesting.

What a shame! Tweety is an inspiration to us all ... a little guy who always comes out on top due to his brains and a large sledge hammer and stick of dynamite he always keeps nearby.

Joe*A

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe
It's been understood that Warner has a budget to remaster 60 animated shorts per year. Given that they must have an idea what shorts will be cleaned up in the next few years, I wonder if there's any way of getting their thoughts on future releases. What shorts will show up in the next 5 volumes? Will they ever release the non-p.c. shorts? Will they ever release all the Bosko's [I'm not a fan but just for completion-sake]?

With 4 volumes out and about 13 left to go [1,004 shorts divided by 60 shorts per volume = 17 volumes in all], I'd love to know what their future releases would look like.

Thoughts?

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey

They can't give away the line up for the next five volume cause that would kill 5 years of people posting 'what I want to see on the next volume'

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I am hoping these releases continue until everything is released. My guess is that (if sales hold up) they will keep going until they've released all the shorts featuring the major characters. There are more than enough of Bugs cartoons to include one disc per set for many more sets to come.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

There's a handful of the pre-Porky B&W cartoons that are good to great and will probably show up restored. At best, I think we'd get only one Buddy cartoon just as an example. There's some excellent Harmon-Ising Merrie Melodies that are worth it, like Smile Darn Ya Smile, Shuffle Off to Buffalo, I Like Mountain Music, and Lady Play Your Mandolin. For Bosko, I know several of them are supposed to be good (like Bosko's Picture Show) I'd at least hope they show up restored. While they used older (but progressive) video masters for the bonus cartoons Sinkin' in the Bathtub and It's Got Me Again, they still looked very good. So, if they opt for that route, it's not too big of a loss. This has to be overwhelming to have to pick from 1000 cartoons and trying to make compilations that work enough.
They could have used a chronological format, which would mean they would be on the 1937-1939 cartoons by now. They could have used Disney's format of releasing character themed sets with multiple volumes a year. However, they would probably have to use both restored versions and older video masters to meet the same quantity. Not to mention that it could be years between being able to see more of the lesser-seen one-shots or B&W cartoons.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Just catching up on the news. Based on all the speculated possible ways of releasing these, I just want to say I'll pick them up in any combination Warners decides.

Just thought I'd say that in case Warners pops in. ;)

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I can't wait until Volume 17!

Can you imagine all those boxes standing together. Sexy.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Freleng's Tweety & Sylvester cartoons are simply dialogue versions of Jones' Roadrunner cartoons. Under Freleng, Tweety was the innocent bystander, and Sylvester was the victim of his own devices. Tweety, under Clampett, was full of retribution (best examples: A Tale Of Two Kitties and A Gruesome Twosome - "Umbriago!").

Joe*A

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe

Keith, I have to disagree with you about Tweety & Sylvester cartoons being simply "talkie" Road Runner toons. There characters and relationships are much more developed than Wile E. or Road Runner, who seem to be on auto-drive [must catch Road Runner, must eat Road Runner]. We've never had the experience of seeing how Wile E. would react to actually catching Road Runner. Which brings me to one of the funniest moments when Sylvester had caught Tweety and was preparing a sandwich and discovered that ketchup was no where to be found "what? no ketchup? well, I'll just have to eat him without it". I think of that cartoon everytime I'm looking for the ketchup bottle in the fridge.

Speaking of Road Runner cartoons, has anyone every seen the horrible "Jason vs. Freddie" movie. There's a scene in the film that reminded me so much of the Road Runner cartoons. They were in a construction site and Freddie was trying to drop all kinds of equipment on Jason [I should've checked closely if they were Acme products]. It's probably the only scene worth watching just for the obvious homage to Wile E/Road Runner cartoons.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
her voice is hideous. it hurts my ears. it's like she's impersonating Dave Thomas doing Kirk Douglas. Plus her adam's apple is very distracting.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey

Her mind? since we're not supposed to talk politics let's just stick to her voice and Adam's apple. Saw her in a movie and it was disturbing to see the size of her Adam's apple - it's bigger than the one on D.J. Qualls.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

The problem is that what's on her mind is all juvenile hate speech, not substance.

Can we please drop this before we venture into political talk in a thread about cartoons?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks