What's new

Looney Tunes Golden Collection Volume 5 (1 Viewer)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
This will be the first set without a disc devoted solely to Bugs Bunny. Disc 1 is going to be Bugs and Daffy.

WhitneyG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Whitney
When it's posted on TVShowsOnDVD as factual information, that means it is confirmed.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
There have been few Roadrunner shorts on these sets. Anyone think Warner might be saving those for their own collection?

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan

Yay! I'll definitely be getting this one!
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

JasonJason

Stunt Coordinator
I, too, am REALLY looking forward to this one. I like the 4 disc categories on this one and am expecting to see some of my favs this time around. I still pop in my other 4 volumes all the time, even though I've seen them quite a bit. Must buy on release date!

On a side note - is there any way to avoid the whole TV thread vs. Film thread debate? It's been done to DEATH in the threads for the previous volumes. We all know that they started theatrically, but I think that most of us also experienced them as a part of a television program, so it doesn't really matter. The debate can go on and on, but the truth is, we ALL seem to find the thread here in the TV forum, so no harm done. The whole thing seems kind of silly to me - whichever thread it's in, it's great news! Besides, the other forum section is called FILM AND DOCUMENTARY, not THEATRICAL RELEASES, and, in most people's minds, Looney Tunes don't really fall in the category of film. But, hey, that's just me...

Bring on the Looney Tunes!!!

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey

But it includes the Chuck Jones PBS special - thus it is part TV show/part Theatrical.

Jeff Newcomb

Second Unit
I did not intend to start up the TV vs film debate again. Especially when the debate was more or less settled last year when the forum administration made the announcement theatrical animation releases would be placed in the film category. I was really just intending to offer a gentle nudge to a moderator to remind them. I don't understand why there is a debate to begin with. These 35mm films were being shot long before the invention of television was a glimmer in Philo Farnsworth's eye. I don't see how where a particular viewer first saw them has any bearing on anything. Intentionally or not, placing them in the television forum ghettoizes the films and shows a little disrespect for the filmmakers and disinterest in film history.

It's a moot point anyway. There was already thread inquiring about this release a month ago, and another thread speculating about its contents a year ago. They should probably all just be merged. If that happens, please feel free to remove all my comments on the subject from this thread, so as not to further engage the debate.

Jeff Newcomb

Second Unit
I assume that you're joking, but just in case anyone takes you seriously, Citizen Kane, Stagecoach, Easter Parade, Sullivan's Travels, and countless other dvds of classic films include specials from PBS and other networks. That doesn't make their primary content a television show.

tjguitar85

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Thomas
I don't understand why people get into such fits.

I never saw any of these in a theater. Does that make them any less special or awesome?

No. They have been on TV on a daily (or 5 days a week) basis for over 20 years, you can't say that about films like Citizen Kane or what have you.

They were also repackaged for TV many many times. I don't know how anybody can say Looney Tunes isn't a tv show. I don't know how one can have "less respect" for these just because they saw them on TV. :eek:

Jeff Newcomb

Second Unit
I'm not saying that these short films were never repurposed as "The Bugs Bunny and Road Runner Show" and its various permutations. I'm just saying that show is not what Warner is releasing. Repackaging these films for television has done a lot of damage to them over the years. Marco Biscotti did a nice job of summarizing that in the Popeye thread.

JasonJason

Stunt Coordinator
I'm with TJ. I wasn't so much saying that they SHOULDN'T be in the Film section. I just didn't understand why people feel the need to fight so hard for it every time. I mean, I could understand possibly being upset if you were involved in the making of the shorts, but this site is for informational purposes. And, since no matter where the listing is posted we all seem to find it, then I think the purpose is served.

This debate, to me, reminds me of when Alanis Morissette's song Ironic came out, and everyone rushed to be the first one to claim that nothing in the song was, in fact, ironic. It seems to be less about being upset over the actual topic and more about being the first to make an observation that's already been made tons of times.

If you like Looney Tunes, you should go buy the set when it comes out and read all about it on this great site. Where the posting is placed should not, in any way, hinder your enjoyment.

And, yes, I'm aware of the "Ironic" fact that by asking for there not to be a debate, I have actually kinda sparked one... =)

JasonJason

Stunt Coordinator

Does that mean that if a film is released as a "Director's Cut" that it should not be placed in the section where their theatrical counterparts are placed since that is not what the company is releasing?

Jeff Newcomb

Second Unit
Of course both versions should be in the same section. A "director's cut" of a film is still a film and should be placed in the same section as its theatrical counterpart.

This is different. It would be like if Paramount chose to release a DVD of "The Godfather -- as aired in prime time on CBS." It would be full of cuts, edits, overdubbing, and would cease to be the same film. A thread for that could definitely go in the TV Shows forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks