What's new

Looks like Maverick will head to DVD... (1 Viewer)

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I haven't ordered WBA sets from DD, but received pressed disks when I picked up Sugarfoot season one from ImportCDs (which is owned by SuperD that also owns DeepDiscount). Unfortunately, I don't think there is a completely clear answer. I think for the most part Amazon appear to have the setup to go DVD-R. My initial gut feeling is that ImportCDs and DD do not, but something like that could easily change. Personally, it comes down to price and title form me. If the discount is big enough I might try DD and ImportCDs.

In the case of Sugarfoot season 2, I started out pre-ordering from ImportCDs because it would be cheaper, looked to be available sooner, and the chances were pretty good for pressed. However, with the announcement that WB would ship sooner and the total price difference only about $5 I changed my mind and went with WB. However, looking at ImportCDs now they have two listings. One looks to possible be a DVD-R in that it is priced higher then normal for them, but the other (special edition, possibly signed copy) is cheaper which may be the pressed set.

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
I intend to stick with WB. A bit more expensive but I think the chances are better of getting the pressed DVDs.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Gary OS said:
I wish I knew. For the very small difference in price I'd go with WB rather than gamble on getting a MOD, especially since it's still in the replicated section of the site. Pretty much a guaranteed pressed copy.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Just FYI:I *did* receive my "Season 3" set from WB and the discs *were* pressed.So I finally own all of the James Garner Maverick eps ... Except, of course, for the Season 4 "The Maverick Line". Wow!!I still don't understand why the heck it took so long for WB to release these to DVD. It seems to me that if they had been released a decade ago -- when DVD was in its "salad days" and there were exponentially more original fans of the show alive -- they would have quadrupled their sales. Oh well: "Better late than never" I guess. Looking forward now to the last two seasons and, hopefully, "Young Maverick" and "Bret Maverick"!

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
A decade ago, Warner was the *worst* studio of all when it came to its vintage TV library. The only two shows prior to 1980 that they released that I know of in full were "Wonder Woman" and "F-Troop" plus one season of "Cheyenne" and when they released "The Man From UNCLE" they did that only because Anchor Bay had attempted to do it under the mistaken impression they had the rights to do so, and when Warner sued to put a halt to that they realized at the time they *had* to release it themselves to avoid the bad publicity.

Since the Archive program began, they have now become one of the best studios and while it took awhile for them to get started (I think it was over a year before the first TV series was released through the program) the wait has been worth it.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Has anyone had any credit card fraud issues more recently with ordering from WB Shop? I haven't since getting this set and am hoping their hacking incident was all in the past (last Spring), but just wanted to check to see if everyone who ordered this set like me had no issues so far.

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Real Name
dan olson
Sorry Gary, late to the party as usual...Because I live in Canada when I must buy a WA product I have gone through DD; both Harry-O I got there were pressed. I think it is only amazon that has the immediate dvd-r processed ones due to their special arrangement with the WA...

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
I've gone through the first two discs in this set and am well pleased with the transfers!!

No problems at all with these discs!!

Looking forward to seasons 4 & 5!!

EdG

Stunt Coordinator
Hollywoodaholic said:
Has anyone had any credit card fraud issues more recently with ordering from WB Shop? I haven't since getting this set and am hoping their hacking incident was all in the past (last Spring), but just wanted to check to see if everyone who ordered this set like me had no issues so far.
Yes I have. They hit me the Friday before Labor Day. Luckily it was only around $100 and the CC company shut it down pretty quick. I had a coworker who also purchased from WBshop this summer and their card was compromised 2 weeks before my card was. We both received a letter from Datapak services. We both got the letter within 1 day of each other. From what i hear they process CC transactions for WBshop though I have no confirmation of that. The letter said malware had been placed into their system on 3/5/13 and personal information may have been obtained. According to the letter they secured the system. After reading dvdtalk and other sites where others were having similar problems I ordered Maverick S3 and Sugarfoot S2 from Importcds this time. I saw on the WBshop website yesterday they now have Paypal as a payment option. I am glad they are offering that option so I can continue to order from them though in the end the bank told me nothing is 100% safe when purchasing through the web.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Thanks for your report EdG. I used my CC for the first time more recently there so I wonder if the issues have been resolved (at least for now), but I will keep tabs.

EdG

Stunt Coordinator
Hollywoodaholic said:
Thanks for your report EdG. I used my CC for the first time more recently there so I wonder if the issues have been resolved (at least for now), but I will keep tabs.
Yeah keep tabs on it. For me it was 4 charges within an hour and 3 went through. They stopped it on the 4th and I got a call. You might even give your CC company a heads up. Luckily those who used mine only got Adidas shoes, an online video game, and a world of warcraft online character. Adidas wanted proof that I didn't buy the shoes and for them the Datapak letter was proof enough. Hopefully it's all over for everyone.

schmenz

Auditioning
Real Name
danny
My set just arrived from Warner - but how can I tell if it was pressed or mod? The quality looks decent but how does one tell for sure? Apologies to all if this is a dumb question.

Many thanks.

Guy Foulard

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
schmenz said:
My set just arrived from Warner - but how can I tell if it was pressed or mod? The quality looks decent but how does one tell for sure? Apologies to all if this is a dumb question.

Many thanks.
Usually burned discs are purple-ish on the underside and shiny on the printed label side. A pressed disc is the normal dull silver on the underside and sort of matte-printed on the label.

schmenz

Auditioning
Real Name
danny
Many thanks to all for the help. After examining my season 3 dvd based on the info you folks provided I see that it is indeed a pressed copy.

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
I've had the time to go through the first two discs of Season 3 and have been very happy with the transfers!!

I think one of these days, when I have far too much time on my hands, I am gonna watch the series beginning to end and make a list of all the towns that they brothers Maverick stop in on their travels.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks