What's new

Looking to upgrade to a new reciever more channels ATMOS ect. (1 Viewer)

Craig Ball

Second Unit
Looking at the Marantz SR6011, I know its already an older model, but i like that with an external amp you can go up to 11 channels, Seems to have all of the newer goodies like DTS-X and ATMOS HDCP 2.2 ect. Was just curious is it missing anything that I might regret soon down the road? Got the new 4k TV, thats why i'm looking.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Looking at the Marantz SR6011, I know its already an older model, but i like that with an external amp you can go up to 11 channels, Seems to have all of the newer goodies like DTS-X and ATMOS HDCP 2.2 ect. Was just curious is it missing anything that I might regret soon down the road? Got the new 4k TV, thats why i'm looking.

If you're thinking about external amps then why buy an integrated receiver? I've personally never understood the logic for this, especially if you have a larger room. For about the same money you could buy a nice Pre/Pro and get much better performance. Remember, that 110WPC is measured with only two channels driven. With 11 channels, it will be much less.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If you're thinking about external amps then why buy an integrated receiver? I've personally never understood the logic for this, especially if you have a larger room. For about the same money you could buy a nice Pre/Pro and get much better performance. Remember, that 110WPC is measured with only two channels driven. With 11 channels, it will be much less.
I'm totally a separates guy, but it can make sense, especially with how many channels systems can have these days. You can use a receiver to drive all the surround channels, then use an external 3 channel amp to drive the front three, which have by far the greatest power demands. Of course, what really doesn't make sense is that a lot of people use the receiver to power the front three speakers, and an external to power the additional surrounds. I think some receivers don't allow you to run the front three from an external amp, which is just stupid.

Having said that, I did that for several years during a transition into HD audio, and I was never able to get my surrounds to truly blend with the front. Once I added an external amp of the same design as the one I used for the front, it was like flipping a switch and I was able to get everything to blend perfectly. I was very surprised how much of a difference it made, but all my speakers, including the surrounds, are 4 Ohm, so the amps in the receiver were probably just not up to the task.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm totally a separates guy, but it can make sense, especially with how many channels systems can have these days. You can use a receiver to drive all the surround channels, then use an external 3 channel amp to drive the front three, which have by far the greatest power demands. Of course, what really doesn't make sense is that a lot of people use the receiver to power the front three speakers, and an external to power the additional surrounds. I think some receivers don't allow you to run the front three from an external amp, which is just stupid.

Having said that, I did that for several years during a transition into HD audio, and I was never able to get my surrounds to truly blend with the front. Once I added an external amp of the same design as the one I used for the front, it was like flipping a switch and I was able to get everything to blend perfectly. I was very surprised how much of a difference it made, but all my speakers, including the surrounds, are 4 Ohm, so the amps in the receiver were probably just not up to the task.
I'm using my Yamaha 3060 receiver to power my four Dolby Atmos speakers while using my external Outlaw 7140 Amp to drive my three main speakers and four surround speakers.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Personally, if you could swing it, I would go with the SR7011. What type of external amp (number of channels) are you looking at?

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I'm using my Yamaha 3060 receiver to power my four Dolby Atmos speakers while using my external Outlaw 7140 Amp to drive my three main speakers and four surround speakers.
I have basically the same setup. Acurus 200x3 powering the front stage and the Outlaw 7140 powering pretty much everything else. Since that left me 1 channel short of 11, I added a HK 2000 which powers one of the height channels. Not exactly ideal but it seems to work.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks