What's new

Looking for creative solution to awkward Home Theatre problem (1 Viewer)

muskokaman

Auditioning
Real Name
Kyle
Hopefully I break this down effectively...

I have a 37" Toshiba LCD 1080i, 1 HDMI, 1 Optical Audio Out, 2 Component inputs

Playstation 3 running HDMI to television

Logitech Z680 5.1 Amplified sound System with Optical & 3 port Minijack (for analog surround?)

Coming later this week.

1 Bell TV Satellite receiver with HDMI

First Issue:

I was hoping to use the optical audio out port on my television to send all audio to my sound system regardless of the source. Unfortunately when the PS3 is hooked up to the television via HDMI, then the TV is sending the audio out to the optical port, I am only able to get 2 channel PCM, it will not work using Dolby Surround or DTS. Watching television works fine with surround sound as does the built-in DVD player. When I hook the optical up directly to the PS3, the audio performs great. Does this mean I can't use my television to pass the audio through? Is this just a limitation when hooking the PS3 up via HDMI?

2nd Issue:

This may tie into the solution to issue #1 but I have a satellite receiver on it's way that also has DHMI output, but my television only has a single HDMI port. Switching manually doesn't sound like fun... Should I hook one of my devices up using component and if so, what audio can I use? Is it a better solution to get a receiver of some kind to do the switching for me?

Any help would be very much appreciated! Thanks! Ideally I'd like to spend minimal $$$

Thanks!

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
1) Almost all televisions will only pass DD 5.1 from the internal tuner to the optical out. All external soirces are downgraded to 2.0 PCM. So you'd have to go optical from the source to your sound system.

2) An HDMI 1.2 capable receiver would alleviate these switching problems, and would also allow you to use HDMI for sound.

muskokaman

Auditioning
Real Name
Kyle
Awesome, thank you!

Just wondering, anyone know of a receiver that would fit the bill in this case but not break the bank? How cheap can I go without truly sacrificing quality?

Hmm, also, my Logitech Z-680 system is already amplified and accepts a TOSlink optic cable as an input. Most of these receivers seems to want to have speakers directly connected, how do I get around that? Just get a receiver with an optical output port? Then where would I be controlling the volume?

Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks