What's new

Looking for an affordfable 2 Channel receiver. (1 Viewer)

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
greggor said:
Thanks Phil, lots of great ideas and recommendations! I may buy this one as it seems to fit the bill. I also found a TEAC for $140.00 that I'm looking at. I owned a TEAC tuner and amp set up back in the 80's which always sounded really good. I wonder how the quality is now though....

Edit** Ah yes here it is!

http://www.amazon.com/Teac-AG790-AM-Stereo-Receiver/dp/B00009K087/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

I Know what I'm getting with a Denon unit, but would like to hear some personal experiences with TEAC if anyone has any to share.
The only thing I can tell you about Teac (and I owned their first cassette deck with dbx noise reduction like 30+ years ago - when I was 5 years old of course :lol: ) is I have a Teac UD-501 DSD DAC in a secondary system. For the money it is excellent. I bought it around October of 2013 just before a move and like it.

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
ArmSC said:
I think I would go with a cheap AVR like this Denon E200 refurb. I know it's not stereo but I like the fact that it's in expensive and offers flexibility. If you want to add a sub, ok sub out included. You want to put a TV out there to watch the game...no problem it's got HDMI/Optical inputs. You want to run 4 speakers...sure it's got surrounds you can run in multi-channel stereo mode. I also like the fact that you can cross out the speakers so you're not asking them to do the low stuff they can't do. You also get a portable input right on the front. The only thing missing is a bluetooth adapter but they are cheap. Just a though.

Definitely more than I need in terms of capability for my garage but I have to admit for the price it seems to be a steal! So now I'm concerned about sound quality of a 2 channel stereo vs jam packed features in a budget AVR at close to the same price. This is where purchasing online with out being able to do direct comparisons has its limitations. I have some things to think about.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
You're right it's hard to compare without having the two side by side but I'm a sucker for flexibility. When I upgraded to an AVR from a stereo receiver I was pleasantly surprised how good it sounded. If you don't want the bells and whistles you could always run it in direct mode which is basically a stereo receiver.

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
I just wanted to give everyone an update on my 2 channel receiver choice. I decided to go with the Sherwood RX-4109. I was able to pick one up new from Radio Shack for $48.00 out the door yesterday. This is an exceptionally good quality unit for the price and an absolute steal. It has 100 WPC and actual binding posts on the rear vice spring clips normally found in this price range.

As for the sound quality I was very pleasently surprised here. The sound is clean and warm, a near perfect match for my Paradigm Mini-Monitors. Simply stated they "thump". This is a basic 2 channel receiver and it's perfect for my garage. There's no blue tooth or USB input, but the radio stations I enjoy all come in crystal clear and I've connected my MP3 player via a set of RCA's to a 3.5 millimeter jack and it sounds great. Thanks again to all who replied.

R/Greg

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
I spent less than $50.00 dollars by pulling an old pair of Paradigm Mini Monitors out of the closet and buying the receiver. It's actually too nice for the garage in my opinion, but you can't even get a decent sounding blue tooth speaker for that price! Now I have some great sounding tunes to listen to while I'm messing with the motorcycle or doing some projects, or better yet while I'm just out in the garage enjoying a beer!

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
greggor said:
I just wanted to give everyone an update on my 2 channel receiver choice. I decided to go with the Sherwood RX-4109. I was able to pick one up new from Radio Shack for $48.00 out the door yesterday. This is an exceptionally good quality unit for the price and an absolute steal. It has 100 WPC and actual binding posts on the rear vice spring clips normally found in this price range.

As for the sound quality I was very pleasently surprised here. The sound is clean and warm, a near perfect match for my Paradigm Mini-Monitors. Simply stated they "thump". This is a basic 2 channel receiver and it's perfect for my garage. There's no blue tooth or USB input, but the radio stations I enjoy all come in crystal clear and I've connected my MP3 player via a set of RCA's to a 3.5 millimeter jack and it sounds great. Thanks again to all who replied.

R/Greg
Looks lots like the Sherwood I had in my old office (that I gave away before a move last year) except it has real binding posts and a phono section. Is $48 the price for a regular unit (I looked online and it says only available in local stores and it says it is in stock in my local store)? That's a great deal. I paid $80 for mine years ago (I got CIrcuit City which was selling it for $100 to match an online price). NewEgg is selling it for $143.89 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882177020

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
Phil A said:
Looks lots like the Sherwood I had in my old office (that I gave away before a move last year) except it has real binding posts and a phono section. Is $48 the price for a regular unit (I looked online and it says only available in local stores and it says it is in stock in my local store)? That's a great deal. I paid $80 for mine years ago (I got CIrcuit City which was selling it for $100 to match an online price). NewEgg is selling it for $143.89 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882177020

Check Radio Shack. My local store had it marked down to $49.99. I'm still active duty so I received another 10% off from that. So, $49.99 minus 10% plus tax brought it right around $48.00. As I said this things a steal. Reviews seem decent as well minus the few who had issues with their units which you'll always find.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
greggor said:
Check Radio Shack. My local store had it marked down to $49.99. I'm still active duty so I received another 10% off from that. So, $49.99 minus 10% plus tax brought it right around $48.00. As I said this things a steal. Reviews seem decent as well minus the few who had issues with their units which you'll always find.
I did check earlier with a friend who was interested in one. Yes it was $49.99 and it was open box but they did not have the remote. They offered 10% off but the store is getting a sealed one from another store tomorrow. I know it is a steal since I owned the earlier model with less inputs and no binding posts and that was good and I paid $80 (as I posted earlier) many years back. Thanks for the heads up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks