82" LG 4k TV...
2 JBL 4410 Studio Monitors...
1 JBL Center Channel...
2 JBL Rears...
2 Dayton 10" Subs...
1 Adcom 7000 5 Channel Amp...
4k Amazon Firestick...
RCA DVD Player...
Harmon Kardon Tuner to receive Music from a Computer via FM Transmitter...
KDLinks Media Player...

I don't plan on going any farther than 5.1 so I don't need 9-13 channels... I've been searching the used market for something better than the old Sony... I do listen to Straight Stereo with the Subs, so Audio is most important... Movies are played thru the KDLinks or the USB in the LG TV...
I'm using the TV for switching between sources (HDMI)... The Tuner is single ended to the Sony...

I've been looking E-Bay etc. at Marantz, Integra, McIntosh and Krell... Used Marantz and Integra look tempting although they have many Features, Zones, Inputs that I'll probably never use, and be a let down in the 2 Channel Dept...

Missed a great deal on a McIntosh MX-122 (HDMI) that I'll probably never see again and the Used Krell Showcases with Class A 2 channel, don't have HDMI... Maybe I don't need it???

Any other brands I should be checking out? I have been out of the HT Loop for decades... Don't use a Phone for Music and don't know beans about 'Bluetooth'...
I thought the Outlaw 975 or 6 would be an option, but I read about too many BS Problems... No excuse in this day and time...

Any suggestions? TIA...

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
What is your objective? Is it mainly to add hdmi switching?

Meaux

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Meaux
Yes, that and improvement in 2 Channel Audio... I'm looking at an Anthem AVM50v at the moment... Not at all familiar with that Brand though...

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yes, that and improvement in 2 Channel Audio... I'm looking at an Anthem AVM50v at the moment... Not at all familiar with that Brand though...
That would probably be my #1 suggestion. Also, look for a deal on a Marantz AV8802. Both have a bunch of features you won't use, but will have the superior two channel audio you're looking for.

Meaux

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Meaux
Well, I bought the Anthem... May take a couple years to set up, but they all seem that way... Thanks...

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well, I bought the Anthem... May take a couple years to set up, but they all seem that way... Thanks...
Excellent choice. The first thing I suggest doing when you receive it is to do a factory reset. I didn't see how to do this with a quick search, but it should be available somewhere. That will eliminate the possibility of any weird settings by the previous owner causing problems.

Meaux

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Meaux
I should be receiving this unit in a week... Yep, a Factory Reset will be the first thing I do... I have downloaded the Manual and reading it now...
To tell the truth, I had few Beers and pushed the 'buy/offer' button by mistake... I had planned on shopping a little more... Oh well, we'll see how it goes... Thanks... :)

Meaux

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Meaux
Well, I did manage to get back to Factory Reset... This thing is a Bear to setup... I hooked it up to a Adcom 555 and 2 JBL Control X to make sure it works... When I finally figured out how to get FM, CD to work thru 'Optical', the sound was good...

What I'm worried about is all the Video Adjustments... I really like my LG 82" picture and I don't really want that to change, but I want to use the HDMI because I read that the Audio is better than w/Optical...

Anyhow, I've been sidetracked with other problems with old Samsung LED TVs... Later...

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There's no need to have the receiver do any video processing at all. It can just do the switching.

Meaux

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Meaux
Heck, if ain't one thing it's another... I can't seem to find the time disassemble the Livin' Room and the 'Privacy' to deal with the ARC...
Thinking about selling the Anthem AVN 50v 3D and just do a 2 channel tube preamp (Freya+) in another room for music, to go with QSC gx5 and my old Maggies...
Decisions, decisions, decisions... I think the Anthem is way too complicated for my tied worn out 72 year old mind...

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
LOL! Gear is really complicated. Yes. There’s nothing wrong with a simple, two channel system. Maggies should really sing with tube power, just not loudly.

Meaux

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Meaux
Well, I managed to hook it up in place of the Sony with the TV doing the switching... 1 Optical Input... Mama played with the 4K Firestick and I'll be damned, the Old Lady likes it better...
Looks like I'm gonna be forced to figure this thing out...

I'll be back................

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks