What's new

LG 37LK450 present from my son (1 Viewer)

john402052000

Auditioning
Real Name
John Bailey
My son surprised me for father's day and bought me an LG 37LK450, which replaces my old 27" CRT. This model is 1080. I have a standard Phillips DVD player and a Sony HT DDW660 home theater speaker set up. The DVD player has HDMI and component video outputs. In my old set up I had the TV hooked up to the DVD player with the component video and used the digital output of the DVD player to hook into the HT system. This worked well. My son bought me an HDMI cable and hooked my TV up to the DVD player with that. We mute the TV so it doesn't interfere with the sounds system. I have a few questions: 1) is the video from the HDMI cable better than component video? 2) we gave the system the Lord of the Rings (non blue-ray edition) test. We set the aspect ratio on the TV to 16:9 but the image looked vertically compressed. It looked OK when we went the Cinema Zoom. Does this seem normal? 3) Also, there was some shimmering, if that's the right word, during scenes where huge armies were running across fields with the camera panning with them. Is this normal? If not is there a way to alleviate this? I'm assuming there are going to be issues with an HD TV when you watch DVDs that aren't Blueray, but any advice on how to minimize those would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance, John

Phil Taylor

Supporting Actor
1- HDMI's major advantage is that it will carry 1080p of Blu-ray - component only does up to 1080i. Other than that it's digital vs analog ... 2- Make sure your DVD player is set to 16x9 - maybe still set for old 4x3 TV? 3- Could be caused by sharpness set too high on TV? Or capability of DVD player.

john402052000

Auditioning
Real Name
John Bailey
Thanks Phil -- I'm new to HDTV and need to familiarize myself with the technology and terminologies. I'll check the settings you suggested.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks