Letterman moving to ABC?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael*K, Mar 1, 2002.

1. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

According to today's New York Times and Washington Post, ABC is in serious discussions to lure David Letterman to the network and insert his show in the 11:35 pm ET time slot. Whether this would lead to the cancellation of Nightline is unclear, though I don't see a widely respected journalist like Ted Koppel settling for being bumped by a comedian whose best years are in the rearview mirror. I hope this move doesn't come to fruition. [​IMG]

2. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    It does seem odd. "Nightline" would seem a lot cheaper to produce than "Late Show" and brings in similar, if not higher, ratings. Though the audiences are obviously different. Since ABC is in the ratings toilet, perhaps they're willing to sacrifice the cost vs. younger, hipper audience and the opportunity to promote ABC shows to them.
    At least ABC has finally wised up and cleaned house at MNF. Can't wait for John Madden's first game. [​IMG]

3. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

4. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

Bill Maher was on Larry King the other night and he indicated that he thought his days at ABC were numbered, but "PI" would continue somewhere. (CNN I predict).

I can see Ted going to CNN if Nightline is dropped. I don't see him on 20/20 and Peter Jennings is a long way off from retiring.

5. Terrell

Terrell Producer

I've always found Letterman funnier than Leno. Dave can about make anything funny, even stupid stuff. Dave can even make a joke that flopped funny. He's good at improvisation. Leno is not. When his jokes flop, he just constinues on. I like both, though. Just Dave is more my style.
    As for the news, that is surprising. Are they going to pay him what CBS was paying him? Dave only makes about 15 million per year.
    [​IMG]

6. John Tillman

John Tillman Supporting Actor

I'm glad we still have a choice between Letterman & Leno. Back in the old days, Carson was the only game in town.

To be honest here, Letterman is a NYC show and ABC lacks the ability to do a digital broadcast in the NYC area (this is an entertainment program, no?). On the other hand, CBS doesn't seem to be in too much of a hurry to change their cameras to do a HD broadcast with 5.1. Perhaps ABC could spring for some HD cameras, or find a sponsor who would, then find a way to broadcast a digital signal...