What's new

Leone's The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly 2-disc SE, May 18, 2004 (MERGED THREAD) (1 Viewer)

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
However, aren't they speaking English, just overdubbed? The lip movements seem to indicate they're talking in English, but the synch of the ADR looping has always been slightly off.

Dan

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Someone at the Mobius Home Video Forum (mhvf.net) attended a screening of the new cut with someone from the restoration team in attendance. He said that Clint Eastwood and Eli Wallach sat down for interviews for the upcoming Special Edition.

Estevan Lapena

Stunt Coordinator

Same thing, but I got for only like 34 bucks or something, so I'm not going to cry about it. Atleast I have the other 2 films as well. Can't wait for a R.1 or a NTSC version to be released.

RickardL

Supporting Actor
I just read the post at Mobius:

He also mentioned that while there was no crew to shoot Eastwood and Wallach dubbing their restored lines in the film, they were interviewed on video for a special edition DVD of this restoration, along with restorations and remasters with 5.1 sound of the other two films in the "Dollars" trilogy. These will be forthcoming late in 2004.
:emoji_thumbsup: ;)

AlanBrom

Second Unit
MGM also has a bunch of Spaghetti westerns that have only been released in Japan (licensed from MGM) including THE RETURN OF SABATA, ADIOS SABATA and NAVAJO JOE.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
However, aren't they speaking English, just overdubbed? The lip movements seem to indicate they're talking in English, but the synch of the ADR looping has always been slightly off.
You are correct. Leone never recorded live dialogue in the Techniscope films he made, preferring to simply have the films dubbed in post. There's more info on this in the docu on OUATITW.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
MGM also has a bunch of Spaghetti westerns that have only been released in Japan (licensed from MGM) including THE RETURN OF SABATA, ADIOS SABATA and NAVAJO JOE.
Hopefully they'll come out with those over here. I'd love to have Navajo Joe. Very fun movie. Great news about the other two Leone movies getting new editions as well :)

CharlesD

Screenwriter
I just recently bought the existing R1 Leone Westerns... I thought the TGTBATU version was the extended version. The DVD says something about 14 minutes of footage not seen before in the US. Is there even more additional footage in the new R2 release.

I hadn't seen these movies in their entirety before and was very impressed with them all especially TGTBATU!

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
I just recently bought the existing R1 Leone Westerns... I thought the TGTBATU version was the extended version. The DVD says something about 14 minutes of footage not seen before in the US. Is there even more additional footage in the new R2 release.
The 14 minutes of footage is there on the current dvd, but as an extra feature. It has an Italian soundtrack (and English subtitles) for this footage as no dubbing by the main stars was performed for these scenes - until now that is! The new dvd will feature this same footage re-cut into the movie with brand new dubbing.

CharlesD

Screenwriter
ahhh. thanks Geoff. Haven't looked at the extras on the DVD yet... every time I put the disc back in I am compelled to watch the search for the grave and gunfight scenes again :)

Estevan Lapena

Stunt Coordinator
I'm going to see the dollar trilogy and "duck! You sucker" on Sunday, apperently they are the new 35mm restorations of the films.

Kai Zas

Second Unit
I watched "Once Upon A Time In the West" for the first time this week, and was so blown away I'm really chomping at the bit for these.
Just finished watching that movie too. Great stuff, came looking for more immediately. Almost bought TGTBATU too, but decided to search HTF for word of a new edition. Et voila!

Anybody hear anything new, like a releasedate?

I'm new to this genre. TGTBATU is the third in a trilogy. Is it necessary to have seen the previous movies to enjoy this one? (Should I go ahead and buy the others in the series or hold out for a new version?)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I'm new to this genre. TGTBATU is the third in a trilogy. Is it necessary to have seen the previous movies to enjoy this one? (Should I go ahead and buy the others in the series or hold out for a new version?)
You really don't have to see the films in order, and TGTBATU is actually a prequel, technically speaking.

As far as buying the others - restoration efforts will be very welcome, especially for the now brightened day-for-night scenes in A Fistful of Dollars. However, the discs can be found for $7-10 almost anywhere, so even if you do end up double-dipping it's not too big of a deal (if you buy it and watch the film twice that is the same as renting the DVD twice, going by cost).

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
No. Clint actually plays three different characters in the films*. It was American marketing that made them a trilogy.

Fistfull of Dollars - Joe
For A Few Dollars More - Monco
Good, Bad, & Ugly - Blondie (IMDB incorrectly calls him Joe)

For those who want to view it as a trilogy with Clint as a single character known by many names, the GBU would come first as that's where he picks up the poncho seen in the other two films.

You can either hold your breath and hope the new versions come out soon (no release date as of yet) or pick up the Man With No Name box on sal for about $30 (cheaper on Ebay).

Kai Zas

Second Unit
Thanks for the information. I've gone ahead and placed an order for the trilogy box. You're right, it's cheap so it doesn't realy matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks