What's new

Kosher Coke, or Mexican Coke made with real suger cane (1 Viewer)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I finally found some last weekend. Never saw the stuff in any of my local stores (area a live in has a virtually non-existant Jewish population) but I had to run an errand a couple of towns away, there was a supermarket I passed and I just decided to do my food shoping there. Lo and behold I saw the yellow caps in the Coca-Cola display. I bought six bottles. Oddly enough my wife and brother gave it a thumbs down. My brother didn't like it because he said it did not have the same "bite" that regular Coke does. Personally I'm still undecided. There is definately a noticable difference in aftertaste. However, I have yet to try it under ideal conditions which would be getting an unopened bottle very cold in the fridge and being incredibly thirsty.

Anothter thing, I did notice that the ingredients list dropped the High Fructose Corn Syrup but made no mention of sugar. Anyone know why

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I think I must have mexi/passover Coke! I never knew there was an option. I have noticed that Coke can taste different in different parts of the country depending on where it's been canned/bottled. I always thought this was strange.
I tried a bottle of Vitamin Water the other day and in reading the ingredients, I see it has cane sugar listed there as well. While I'm sure it is nothing more than a fad, I actually did like the taste of it.
I like the dragonfruit stuff because it comes in that unholy pink color and there's no mention of artificial colors on the bottle. I hold it up to the light every time amazed at how a color like that can occur naturally.
I'll be driving through the Mexican side of town on the way home today, by the way. ;)

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Michael Harris said:
Passover is coming up and I went to my local Wegman's supermarket and found exactly one bottle of Kosher Coke on the shelf. I made it mine and it is yummy.
Now some poor Jew is going to have to go 8 days without Coke. Nice going. :angry:
:D :D :D

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I got 8 bottles of Mexican, sugar laden, Coca-Cola chilling in my office fridge right now. I'm so excited.

[EDIT:] Argh! Wouldn't you know it? Our department refrigerator decided today was the day it was going to die. My Mexican Coke is sitting in there at room temperature. LOL... it's as if forces are conspiring against me to enjoy imported Coke.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I was at the store today and I saw Diet Coke with yellow caps. Is there a difference between regular diet coke and kosher diet coke. Or is it just to let Jewish people know that Diet Coke is okay as well.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Diet Coke can be bottled through the same machines as regular Coke. In order to be Kosher of Passover, the bottling line has to be cleaned of all HFCS-laden Coke products to a certain level approved of by the Orthodox Union.
Jewish kashrut laws have strict rules about even symbolic cross contamination. That's why we are required to have separate sets of dishes for dairy and meat (which we do not mix), and for most people also have separate sets of dishes for use on Passover only. Glass materials and solid metal are generally the only exceptions, because they are not porous and so you can be sure that you can remove all the contaminating material be following a koshering procedure.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
Michael Harris said:
I was wondering the same thing since Diet Coke never had corn syrup in it. Could be just a marketing ploy to let people know that those bottles were bottled under rabbinical supervision so it is "safe" to drink during Passover.
The yellow just attracts the buyer's attention. If the cap is marked with O-U-P, it's kosher for passover.
htf_imgcache_28463.jpeg

You could always look at the ingredients list. HFCS/Corn Syrup: bad. Sugar/Sucose/Cane Sugar: good. For the purposes of this thread, diet coke is irrelevant.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
Just checked the pepsi in the store today-- the bottle cap does not bear the insignia of the Orthodox Union, so odds are that it's Kitniyos.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
The real question is why can't they bottle Coke Zero Kosher for Passover? Like Diet Coke, it doesn't contain HFCS, so all that would be required would be to have it bottled on the same lines as Kosher for Passover Coke and Diet Coke.
While I agree that Diet Coke isn't all that great, I lost nearly 40 lbs mainly by switching from regular to diet soft drinks.
For the purposes of this thread, diet coke is irrelevant.
He was asking why there is a Kosher for Passover Diet Coke, and as I said it has to do with the bottling process rather than the ingredients.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I found a Kosher/Israeli food store in Durham that had it...reserved for another customer. I asked if they had any more and where I could find it, and they said no and I don't know, respectively. Raleigh has no specifically Jewish food stores.
KFP Dr. Brown's is usually a cinch to find in the Triangle.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I asked about kosher Coke at Kroger's, but the guy said they were too small to carry kosher items. He did say they had Mexican Coke, though. I had already paid, so I'll check it out some other time. I hope it's better than my first experience with it.
Oh, yeah. I saw a yellow cap among the Cokes and was excited, but it turns out a Pepsi got placed their by mistake. I hope to look at a Tom Thumb in a more Jewish part of town tomorrow. I hope that's not a bad thing to say, because I'm just basing it on the fact that the stores up there have large kosher sections, unlike the ones right around me.
It's probably nearing the end of stores carrying this anyway, right?

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I'm just going to write a nice letter to the Coke bottler in Durham telling them they should make KFP Coke next Passover. We have a fairly sizable Jewish community, not humongous, but enough to make it profitable for the bottler. If it's a matter of using sucrose instead of HFCS, is it all that hard to do?

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
It also requires a complete cleaning of the bottling line to remove any remnant HFCS (which is why there is a difference between KFP Diet Coke and non-KFP Diet Coke). That's why only some of the bottling plants do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks