What's new

Kosher Coke, or Mexican Coke made with real suger cane (1 Viewer)

robocop2001

Auditioning
Real Name
Don
Deep in the heart of Texas...I think all Coke comes from Mexico. jk...I really like that Mexico Coke.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
What about Pepsi? Is there an equivalant Mexican or Kosher Pepsi available?
Keith, thanks for the link. Maybe they have Pepsi!
Regarding the mention of lead, according the the website Keith linked to, the lead is part of the painted label. makes sense. Hopefully not in the glass!

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
robocop2001 said:
Deep in the heart of Texas...I think all Coke comes from Mexico. jk...I really like that Mexico Coke.
Well, ever since the Medellín cartel was broken up...

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
I make my own soda. I bought a soda siphon from here;
www.prairiemoon.biz
Sometimes I use lemon and sugar or, I'll get some premade syrups with no HFCS from a polish deli.
The plus is you control everything, flavor and sweetness.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Nelson Au said:
What about Pepsi? Is there an equivalant Mexican or Kosher Pepsi available?
I do not believe that Pepsi makes a Kosher for Passover product....and we need to keep that distinction because Pepsi products are kosher, just not Kosher for Passover.

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
What about Pepsi? Is there an equivalent Mexican or Kosher Pepsi available?
Keith, thanks for the link. Maybe they have Pepsi!
I would like to know as well. Im more of a Pepsi person than Coke Cola. I love the sugar cane bottled Pepsi I got from the meat market in town but its would be an hour drive (there and back) to get a bottle. They are on the opposite side of town.
I would order glass bottled sugar cane Pepsi in a heartbeat! :)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Ahh, another Pepsi guy!
Well, come to think of it, if Mexican or Kosher Coke taste as different as described, it may be better then Pepsi, in the end it's the taste. But I'd like to compare the flavor and taste of sugar cane Pepsi and Coke. Hmmm, sounds like I am speaking of wine or something, The Colamaster!

Marque D

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know if this answers the question about the lead but In Mexico they recycle bottles and the sprite from mexico are the ones you can tell most easily. The year is usually on the bottles I want to say I've seen bottles from the late 90's for sprite. Most of the Coca-Cola were from 2003 or later. If you ever have a Coke in Mexico at a restaurant they pore it in a glass and take the bottle back many times.
I have seen Pepsi from Mexico but I work for CCE so I've never been tempted to pick one up and look at the contents or try. I don't know about the rest of the country but yes Costco has it and a few walmarts but primarly they are at grocery stores that cater to people from latin america. Here in Texas the big one being Fiesta.
Originally the stores were getting the Coke straight from the bottlers in Mexico but for the most part that's ended and now the local US bottler such as Coca-Cola Enterprises distributes them. The bottlers don't want to compete with Coke made of sugar so don't get your hopes up. Thus they make it so that it's hard to find and stays niche. But they aren't going to lose their market by letter the mexican bottlers sale in the US.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> But isn't the US the only place that has the obesity problem too?
You're joking, right? It's a problem all over, especially most Western countries and even some in the Third World.
Regarding the "kosher for Passover" coke, I wasn't aware there was a special type of kosher for that, and I imagine many others aren't aware, either. It sounds like the packaging for it is fairly subtle, so many people could be buying it not realizing the significance of it to others (if that makes sense). In other words, if I saw it on the store, I wouldn't realize that me buying it could be depriving someone else of something important to them for "faith-based" reasons, when for me it would just be for the taste of the product.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
I looked everywhere and can't find any of the kosher coke with the yellow cap. I may try my local Mexican foods market and see if they have any.

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
I looked everywhere and can't find any of the kosher coke with the yellow cap.
And most likely you won't. The Coke in question (with the yellow cap) is Kosher for Passover, which is released in limited quantities before Passover. As I'm not a Jew, I would differ to one of our Jewish members as to what the differences are between standard kosher and kosher for Passover. Also, is normal Coke kosher?

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
Todd H said:
I looked everywhere and can't find any of the kosher coke with the yellow cap. I may try my local Mexican foods market and see if they have any.
Passover: April 19 - 27, 2008
During the eight days of passover, Jews don't eat leavened bread (chametz). Technically, they can't have it in their houses. It's considered a contaminant.
Certain other foods such as maize, and peas are sometimes thought of as analogous to leavened bread-- they puff up when cooked. Since Coke is normally made with corn syrup, it's considered chametz by certain religious traditions. So, during those eight days, many Jews abstain.
This costs Coca-Cola money. In order to recapture the market, the bottlers sell coke made from sugar.
But during the rest of the year, there's no prohibition on the consumption of corn syrup, and the bottlers just produce and sell the normal stuff.
Mexican Coke may or may not be kosher; there may not be enough of a market for "rabbinical supervision."

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
JeremyErwin said:
Passover: April 19 - 27, 2008
During the eight days of passover, Jews don't eat leavened bread (chametz). Technically, they can't have it in their houses. It's considered a contaminant.
Certain other foods such as maize, and peas are sometimes thought of analogous to leavened bread-- they puff up when cooked. Since Coke is normally made with corn syrup, it's considered chametz by certain religious traditions. So, during those eight days, many Jews abstain.
This costs Coca-Cola money. In order to recapture the market, the bottlers sell coke made from sugar.
But during the rest of the year, there's no prohibition on the consumption of corn syrup, and the bottlers just produce and sell the normal stuff.
Mexican Coke may or may not be kosher; there may not be enough of a market for "rabbinical supervision."
*slaps forehead*
Duh! Man I'm a doofus!!! My brain is not functioning correctly any longer. :)
I'm going to definitely try and pick up some of the bottled Mexican Coke and see how it is.

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I enjoy Coke with sugar, but even that pales in comparison with the greatest cola drink on the planet: RC Draft Cola. Super smooth and with a hint of vanilla and chocolate from the cane sugar. Awesome. I had two this last week.
htf_imgcache_19342.jpeg

Adam

I just bought 2 bottles of the 500ml size (16.9 oz) Mexicoke for $1.29/bottle at our large local grocery, in the mexican foods aisle. I remember the old style bottled soda dispensers in our gymnasium back in the 70's, 6.5 oz bottles for a dime or so. That was some great, tooth decaying stuff!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I finally had a chance to get a case of the Mexican Coke at Costco. It was a tad pricey, $17.99 for 24 bottles, .75 a bottle verses a case of Pepsi at Costco with 36 cans. Works out to .25 cents a can!
I had a taste last night. My impression is similar, I can taste a difference. Though I'm a Pepsi drinker, I know what Coke tastes like. This Mexican Coke taste a lot like Pepsi with HFCS. But it does go down easier and is smoother. I am not sure I like that yet. I'll have another bottle to reset my tastebuds. What I liked about Pepsi is that "burning" sensation as it goes down!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Adam Barratt said:
I enjoy Coke with sugar, but even that pales in comparison with the greatest cola drink on the planet: RC Draft Cola. Super smooth and with a hint of vanilla and chocolate from the cane sugar. Awesome. I had two this last week.
htf_imgcache_19342.jpeg

Adam
:eek:
were are you getting that.
i thought it was discontinued over 10 years ago.
and yes this was/is? the best soda hands down.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks