What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Knots Landing (1 Viewer)

mrz7

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Zuncic
Is there a full version of this song or is it just the one minute version used on the show?

Regarding her other albums, yeah, I like pop, like It Could Be Magic, but not a fan of the Benatar/Smythe type music.

The "Tabitha" theme song "It Could Be Magic" is actually only 38 seconds on the CD.

mrz7

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Zuncic
There is some unfortunate news about "Knots Landing" and it's 40th Anniversary release to DVD and streaming. This comes from a "Knots Landing Appreciation Page" on Facebook. The administrator (author of the post) is a reliable source. But here are the details to why a 40th Anniversary DVD and Streaming release is NOT GOING TO HAPPEN:

"UPDATE: Knots Landing Release

Since we (including cast members) have been looking forward to some kind of complete series release (DVD or Streaming) in celebration of the 40th anniversary of Knots Landing, I was able to finally make contact with a friend of a cast member in the decision making process with WB.

The bad news has been confirmed. "Not only would it cost millions in fees to obtain all of the music used in the series, there are some artists who simply will not agree to the re-use or the artist is no longer living". We can use Karen Carpenter for example. A lot of red tape where her music is concerned.

Music licensing deals cut at the time of production were for a limited amount of time (approximately ten years). In addition, the show was videotaped in later seasons rather than filmed because it was cheaper to get the rights to certain songs for a taped show. Once the licenses expired, later syndicated versions of the show (purchased as a package) were still able to use the music as first broadcast due to the original agreement. This agreement was not to include DVD release, website or recent streaming capabilities.

An example would be "Dawson's Creek". The series couldn't use original music, but rather generic “sound-alikes” by studio musicians to avoid paying additional royalties. In some cases (when the music was playing in the background of a dialogue scene), some of the characters’ lines had to be redubbed by sound-alike actors. We know this would not work with Lisa Hartman's (Ciji/Cathy) episodes.

Notice that no one really gains here from the surfeit of copyright, not even the copyright holders. Is Journey really better off by excluding listeners from several scened of Lisa Hartman covering the music? On the contrary, a little youthful nostalgia adds to demand. But the copyright holders, each in their eagerness to profit, raise the transaction costs of producing the whole product so much that it either isn’t produced at all or is produced, as in this case, in a way which greatly reduces consumer value.

Last, is the Lorimar issue. In 1988, Lorimar-Telepictures's production arm became Lorimar Television; Lorimar's distribution business was folded into WB Distribution and became WB Domestic Distribution; with the changing of hands, the library of series isn't complete. For instance, "Dallas" could not sell several seasons of their season 10 on iTunes because the quality is so poor. These episodes were able to be included in the DVD release by using second hand recordings enhanced for the best quality possible. Falcon Crest and Knots Landing face the same issue. Only there are quite a few episodes that are lost completely.

So, for now all we can do is enjoy our precious saved tapes, DVDs and other digital copies. Thankfully most of us have all these to enjoy. Whew...long update. But I think this is it.

Short version...not gonna happen.
1f641.png
"

So that is the sad news. I sincerely thought that because the music rights was such a major issue with holding "Knots Landing" stalled on DVD, that Warner Brothers would have done a "Best Of" Collection of high point stories from the show. But it looks like "nothing" is going to be done "at all" for this fine wonderful show. I also thought the Lorimar issue that was mentioned from the author, was resolved.....apparently not.... cause there are some episodes missing (he even gave the reason why "Dallas" season 10 didn't make it to iTunes/Streaming). Such a shame.....so disappointed in this news. :(

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
There is some unfortunate news about "Knots Landing" and it's 40th Anniversary release to DVD and streaming. This comes from a "Knots Landing Appreciation Page" on Facebook. The administrator (author of the post) is a reliable source. But here are the details to why a 40th Anniversary DVD and Streaming release is NOT GOING TO HAPPEN:

"UPDATE: Knots Landing Release

Since we (including cast members) have been looking forward to some kind of complete series release (DVD or Streaming) in celebration of the 40th anniversary of Knots Landing, I was able to finally make contact with a friend of a cast member in the decision making process with WB.

The bad news has been confirmed. "Not only would it cost millions in fees to obtain all of the music used in the series, there are some artists who simply will not agree to the re-use or the artist is no longer living". We can use Karen Carpenter for example. A lot of red tape where her music is concerned.

Music licensing deals cut at the time of production were for a limited amount of time (approximately ten years). In addition, the show was videotaped in later seasons rather than filmed because it was cheaper to get the rights to certain songs for a taped show. Once the licenses expired, later syndicated versions of the show (purchased as a package) were still able to use the music as first broadcast due to the original agreement. This agreement was not to include DVD release, website or recent streaming capabilities.

An example would be "Dawson's Creek". The series couldn't use original music, but rather generic “sound-alikes” by studio musicians to avoid paying additional royalties. In some cases (when the music was playing in the background of a dialogue scene), some of the characters’ lines had to be redubbed by sound-alike actors. We know this would not work with Lisa Hartman's (Ciji/Cathy) episodes.

Notice that no one really gains here from the surfeit of copyright, not even the copyright holders. Is Journey really better off by excluding listeners from several scened of Lisa Hartman covering the music? On the contrary, a little youthful nostalgia adds to demand. But the copyright holders, each in their eagerness to profit, raise the transaction costs of producing the whole product so much that it either isn’t produced at all or is produced, as in this case, in a way which greatly reduces consumer value.

Last, is the Lorimar issue. In 1988, Lorimar-Telepictures's production arm became Lorimar Television; Lorimar's distribution business was folded into WB Distribution and became WB Domestic Distribution; with the changing of hands, the library of series isn't complete. For instance, "Dallas" could not sell several seasons of their season 10 on iTunes because the quality is so poor. These episodes were able to be included in the DVD release by using second hand recordings enhanced for the best quality possible. Falcon Crest and Knots Landing face the same issue. Only there are quite a few episodes that are lost completely.

So, for now all we can do is enjoy our precious saved tapes, DVDs and other digital copies. Thankfully most of us have all these to enjoy. Whew...long update. But I think this is it.

Short version...not gonna happen.
1f641.png
"

So that is the sad news. I sincerely thought that because the music rights was such a major issue with holding "Knots Landing" stalled on DVD, that Warner Brothers would have done a "Best Of" Collection of high point stories from the show. But it looks like "nothing" is going to be done "at all" for this fine wonderful show. I also thought the Lorimar issue that was mentioned from the author, was resolved.....apparently not.... cause there are some episodes missing (he even gave the reason why "Dallas" season 10 didn't make it to iTunes/Streaming). Such a shame.....so disappointed in this news. :(

Outrageous, if you ask me (though I can't find the words to explain why)!

sjbradford

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
sjbradford
The show was not videotaped in later seasons. It was always filmed, but starting in 1986, the editing was done on videotape to save money. I don’t believe this has any effect on how much it cost to include music as it was still a filmed series. By contrast, “WKRP in Cincinnati” was truly videotaped, not filmed, for the same reason.

For this reason alone, I’m not quite buying the reliability of the source. A friend of a cast member? I’ll wait to hear the reasons from Warner itself.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
How can episodes be lost completely if SOAPNet was able to obtain the entire run in the 2000s? Even porting those masters onto disc would be better than nothing.

Yes, I'm aware of the Lou Grant season 5 debacle, but in that case MTM's library changed hands more times and that was a show that predated the widespread adoption of the shoot-on-film-edit-on-tape workflow that post is talking about. I told people this more than anything else besides music was going to come back to bite studios in the behind sooner or later.

Last edited:

justarandomstan

Second Unit
Real Name
Stan
Yeah, I call BS on that statement. While some of the information is accurate (anybody with a general knowledge of copyright would be able to make that kind of statement), the poster says that some of Dallas' OG seasons are not on iTunes, which is totally not the case. All 14 seasons are there, and so are the DVDs, etc.

A friend of a cast member sounds like me getting my info from my cousin's third aunt removed.

Also, once WB acquired Lorimar, all of their TV series transferred and many of them (the popular ones) are either out on DVD or being released (Step By Step) at the moment.

The poster sounds very uninformed, so I'd not make any assumptions based on that statement alone.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Maybe he meant they only exist on tape and that the corresponding film negatives can't be found. That would be a shame but it would not be the same as whole episodes disappearing from the Warner Bros. archive on both tape and film which is what he seems to imply. And considering that the show aired in many other countries, one of their WB offices might still have them if they manage to put together a mostly complete ALF run between Germany and Japan where the US release could not. Lorimar didn't even produce that show, they just licensed it from an independent producer, and WB inherited whatever claim they had to it which obviously excluded North American video rights. But they own Knots outright so whatever archival-quality elements do exist are in their hands.

Also, once WB acquired Lorimar, all of their TV series transferred and many of them (the popular ones) are either out on DVD or being released (Step By Step) at the moment.

The main exception being Valerie since they don't want to re-open the old wounds of The Lawsuit in case the Harper/Caccioti contract included legal entitlement to any money from the show's presence in new media (most pre-DVD shows did not include future media in residuals). She didn't just star in it; she and her husband were producers. If Valerie Harper dies, her husband, whom I think Lorimar-Telepictures and/or Miller-Boyett wanted out enough that they were willing to get rid of her to get rid of him, gets her share of residuals. But I think those are just for broadcast and cable. Nevertheless, nothing is happening there until someone goes over those contracts with a fine-tooth comb. When WB bought Lorimar, they bought the legal results of all the drama that came with it.

Last edited:

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I Have all of Dallas on DVD. For some odd reason, I also purchased the first 9 seasons through I tunes. I will probably finish buying Dallas on I tunes once I regain employment. That said, at the Very Least, I would like to watch Knots Landing ( I Never did when it first ran or on Soapnet for some reason. ) But since it is Connected to Dallas I feel it is necessary to Obtain on Physical Media or through I tunes If Music rights are the main hold up, Can they just not edit the tracks out and leave the dialogue?

JayHink

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Hey, Lisa Hartman Black - hit the studio & record some generic pop songs we can plug into these episodes for DVD release! Thanks.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If it cannot be released on DVD, I hope it will at least go to streaming via IMDb tv.

I was going through storage and found this. It causes Gary
CD33AF80-1F9E-4881-97B7-CE24DEC51E9E.jpeg
to crossover to Dallas in 1980

CD33AF80-1F9E-4881-97B7-CE24DEC51E9E.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Denapix
Recent bookmarks