What's new

Klipsch R-12SW not playing low frequencies well (1 Viewer)

ElectricL3af

Auditioning
Real Name
Micah
So I have a Klipsch R-12SW subwoofer hooked up to a Yamaha RX-V473 receiver, and it does not play low frequencies well.
I took it over to a friends house and hooked it up to their system where it sounded just fine, playing as loud and low as it should, using a Yamaha RX-V683.
The cable I use is a monster THX certified cable, so I feel it is not the cable.
Is it possible that it's my power source, like it's not a good outlet?
It's done this with all different cables we tried, and with 2 different receivers. Is there some setting on the receiver that may affect it?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There are several settings which have to be adjusted for the subwoofer. You can't just randomly connect them. Have you made any adjustments to the settings on the sub itself or in the receiver?

ElectricL3af

Auditioning
Real Name
Micah
There are several settings which have to be adjusted for the subwoofer. You can't just randomly connect them. Have you made any adjustments to the settings on the sub itself or in the receiver?
Hey man, I'm sorry, I didn't want to make a 4 paragraph post of everything I did correctly in my setup. I am the friend, my friend with the Klipsch has no way to post on here so I'm asking for him. The ridiculous amounts of testing settings and placement we have done shows that this is not a simple problem necessarily. Subwoofer is connected to the correct port, crossover set at LFE on the sub, 50% volume, normal phase. Settings on the receiver are level is at 0 dB, crossover for the other speakers is at 80, speakers all set to small. YPAO did it's dumb thing and set all but one of my speakers (including the sub) to -10 dB, set all my speakers to large even tho they can't handle crap, and set all the distance to one foot. When I brought his sub over to my place, and hooked it up normally, it sounded great. I see no reason why his would sound so bad in the 30-40 hertz range. Not only is it distorted, but there's not much volume coming from it. It's in a corner, 1 foot from each wall, in a room with the dimension of 8 by 10 feet. The cable is not the problem, the subwoofer is not the problem. The only things left are receiver, receiver settings, and somehow outlet. But outlet was sorta ruled out as we talked to his neighbor, an electrician. So what's really left is receiver settings and receiver. I kept the same settings on the sub when I took it to my place. Since we've tried two different receivers with the same issue, I almost want to rule that out, but I won't quite yet. What are your suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks