What's new

Kirk Douglas Passed Away at 103! (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Is “The War Wagon” any good? Kirk Douglas, John Wayne, directed by Burt Kennedy, on paper that’s pretty great.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Is “The War Wagon” any good? Kirk Douglas, John Wayne, directed by Burt Kennedy, on paper that’s pretty great.
Oh man, talk about a movie in my wheel house as a kid that I would go see by walking to his local movie theater to see with his childhood buddies. I think you'll enjoy this movie as it had plenty of humor and does have some significant action in the last 30 minutes of the film.

Cineman

Second Unit
Real Name
David B.
War Wagon is very entertaining and worth watching. Not only for the basic story, action and those two leads, but there is something else going on in this one that kicks the entertainment value up a notch. I don't recall now if I read it in Douglas' autobiagraphy, if he mentioned it in an interview or if it was just something I picked up on while watching it, but I think you'll catch several moments where Kirk Douglas and John Wayne engage in a bit of good natured big time movie star focus stealing. Lol.

By that I mean Wayne might take a split second longer than usual during one of his signature mid sentence pause line readings while Douglas is in the shot waiting to say his line. Or as a scene ends on a two shot of them, Douglas might take that precise opportunity to reach up to adjust his hat or run his fingers through his hair so all eyes will turn to him on the fade. Little things like that.

I do believe it was done purely for the fun of it, to keep those two pros involved in a little game on the side while they were still hitting all the necessary marks and touching all the bases of the story, plot and characters anyway.

Take a look and enjoy. Let me know if anyone else noticed that going on in War Wagon or if I was just imagining things.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This morning two Kirk Douglas films I watched again on German Blu-rays:

220px-The_Last_Sunset_-_Film_Poster.jpg
220px-Lonely_Are_the_Brave_poster.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks