What's new

King of The hill season 3 (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Hmmm, let me ask those in the know a question, just exactly how precariously is 'KotH' hanging on by it's nails regarding future season releases?

I want very much to start picking these up, but not if Fox pulls the plug. This thread was enlightening, I always thought that once a studio starts to release a show, they won't stop until it's done.

I may just wait until the whole series is out to buy them, but doing that may cause the demise of future sets. It's mind boggling!

Randall Cyrenne

Stunt Coordinator
Well, it's just simple economics. A studio has a business plan, and it wants to maintain a certain level of profitability for its releases; KOTH was apparently right on the edge of that line. Fox has plenty of TV shows in its catalog to exploit, and its biggest obligation is to itself and its stockholders. So, if they can make more money by putting out a different show, they will do so. This is especially true for a long-running show like KOTH, where there would be a lot of seasons to commit to. In the time it takes to release those several KOTH seasons, they could put out two or three other cult shows that only ran 1-3 seasons each, and those might all sell better than KOTH (the Irwin Allen shows might be an example).

On the other hand, they do wish to be consumer-friendly, because that aids them in the long run; and that resulted in them lowering their price and putting out KOTH Season 3. So, anyone who wishes to see the releases continue should support it. We cannot expect a studio to support a release schedule if we do not support the sales of existing releases.

For myself, I was "on the edge" for buying more KOTH seasons, just due to all the other shows I support. In fact, I almost didn't buy Season 1. But the lowered price (and DVDsoon's incredible additional 25% off during the holidays) made it that much easier to decide on purchasing the past two seasons.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Apparently the continuity of the series is screwed up on this release. The episodes are presented in airdate order, whereas the production order should have been used. I just recieved my set, and this is the order I'll be watching the episodes in, just FYI:

Death of a Propane Salesman [Disc 1, Side 1]
And They Call It Bobby Love [Disc 1, Side 1]
Peggy's Headache [Disc 1, Side 1]
Pregnant Paws [Disc 1, Side 1]
To Spank, With Love [Disc 2, Side 1]
Good Hill Hunting [Disc 1, Side 2]
Next of Shin [Disc 1, Side 1]
Jon Vitti Presents: "Return to La Grunta" [Disc 2, Side 2]
Peggy's Pageant Fever [Disc 1, Side 2]
Nine Pretty Darn Angry Men [Disc 1, Side 2]
The Wedding of Bobby Hill [Disc 2, Side 2]
Pretty, Pretty Dresses [Disc 1, Side 2]
A Firefighting We Will Go [Disc 2, Side 1]
Three Coaches and a Bobby [Disc 2, Side 1]
Love Hurts... and So Does Art [Disc 3, Side 1]
De-Kahnstructing Henry [Disc 2, Side 1]
Sleight of Hank [Disc 2, Side 2]
Escape from Party Island [Disc 2, Side 2]
Dog Dale Afternoon [Disc 3, Side 1]
Hank's Cowboy Movie [Disc 3, Side 1]
Revenge of the Lutefisk [Disc 3, Side 1]
Death and Texas [Disc 3, Side 2]
Wings of the Dope [Disc 3, Side 2]
Take Me Out of the Ball Game [Disc 3, Side 2]
As Old as the Hills [Disc 3, Side 2]

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
It was easy to tell they used airdate instead of production date as I watched. Luanne's hair jumps around in length from show to show!

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I'm neraing the end of this set, and it's great. I don't at all mind the extras-less treatment; the episodes themselves are so much fun, so it's great to have them. Transfer quality is great again, and the sound is very good as well. The two-sided discs are a bit of a pain, but nothing major. Would've been preferable, of course, to have single-sided discs, but at least it's more compact this way. Bring on Season Four!

ClintS

Stunt Coordinator
I just about done watching season 3, dang now the wait for season 4 begins, if it ever comes. I wish these would sell better its a fantastic show :emoji_thumbsup:

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
When the announcements for May or June roll around, I'm going to be on tenterhooks waiting to see if Fox makes a season 4 announcement, I tell you what. It's kinda depressing to be so unsure even after the show has made it to season 3, but I'll console myself with the thought that season 3 seems to have sold better than season 2 and that should be enough for Fox. Hopefully.

BTW, one of the reviewers at DVD Talk got a different explanation for the barebonesness of this set:

He and I apparently heard from different people on the show, so I suppose the explanation I got (no extras to save money) is reconcilable with the explanation he got (no extras because there wasn't time to put them together). After all even if Fox doesn't want to spend money on extras, there is already-produced stuff that the producers could add. Here's hoping.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter

How are three double sided single layer discs more compact than three single sided, dual layer discs? I see no reason at all for them to have made them flippers if they were going to also make them double sided.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks