What's new

Kenneth Branagh's HAMLET -- the ultimate, merged, when-oh-when thread (1 Viewer)

Robert Holloway

Stunt Coordinator
I'm at a loss to know what to do here

You'd think that this 70mm film with mahor soundtrack and a classic of the Shakespearean oeuvre would be out by now

But no,

neither out nor rumored

Pray tell me, what should we do?

Rob

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor
I am the bearer of good news -- The Digital Bits reported a few months back that Kenneth Branagh himself, in an interview for some magazine or another (I've forgotten now which one), stated the film was being prepped for a Spring (or was it Fall? I think they said Spring) 2004 release to DVD (2006 update: this was obviously delayed!).
I love this film ... "love" isn't even quite right. I admire it and respect its fidelity to Shakespeare to such a degree, it very nearly makes Branagh my favorite filmmaker working today (his performance is also among the richest in cinema -- it seemed strangely overwrought the first time I saw the film, but subsequent viewings, without fail, reveal an ever-increasing depth and complexity to what he's doing in the picture ... one of the gravest oversights in Oscar history was Branagh's Hamlet, which so far as I recall won not a single acting award, much less adapted screenplay, direction or cinematography). I actually count it among the top five films ever made (among the thousands I've had a chance to see). There is no single film I am more eager to see on the DVD format. And so the above warms my heart, as well. :emoji_thumbsup:
But allow me to reiterate what I've said a few times already, as I cannot overstate its importance (a bit of searching here for 70mm and other large format discussions will dispell the persistent and quite erroneous presumptions that continue to crop up about what can and cannot be done in transfers from large format for home video, so I won't go into that, other than to say that Fox's laserdisc of the Todd-AO Oklahoma! was taken from the original 65mm elements back in the mid-90's, to very pleasing results at the time; large format transfers have been possible at least since that time, and probably earlier, and have resulted in many beautiful DVDs, including the large format-sourced Criterion Spartacus, Columbia's first and now upcoming second editions of Lawrence of Arabia, Universal's Vertigo {restored} -- both laserdisc and DVD -- and others): Branagh's Hamlet must (MUST) be sourced from the original Super Panavision 65mm elements (ideally a 65mm interpositive from a dupe negative, to my understanding, though it seems one can source from the dupe as well; the original negative should/would not be used to create a video master, as this may contribute to wear and tear on that irreplaceable element, as has reportedly happened in the ... well, let's say poorly informed or poorly thought out past; I trust such days are behind us) if it is to capture the proper character of the original film.
I beg of WB (and I only beg because I cherish the film so, and moreover because Disney, though stating that they've sourced from large format, appear, per reviews, to have presented Sleeping Beauty in the incorrect reduction ratio of 2.39:1), and of Branagh himself: do not bring this film to DVD from reduction, or in a reduction frame (update: as of 2006, Warner has issued several large format films beautifully, from large format and at their correct frame: we should be in very good hands, as I've expected all along). Columbia/TriStar's old laserdisc was reduction sourced (Panavision 35mm), and looked strictly "okay," capturing little of the visual character I had the immense pleasure of seeing in 70mm at a local theatre back in 1996. The telecine technology is more than equal to the task of sourcing this from 65mm, and the end result, as demonstrated by so many DVDs and, yes, laserdiscs as well, is a transfer beautifully true, allowing for the resolution limitations of DVD, to the original film. You cannot (I have yet to see it happen) capture the true visual character of large format in a home video transfer derived from reduction. "Okay" or "pretty good" isn't nearly good enough for a film of this caliber.
To oversimplify the matter, a copy of a copy is never as good as a copy of an original (again, here a dupe or positive from a dupe, not the true original, but I'm sure that's clear). Hamlet was the finest film of its year and one of the great films of all time. It deserves no less care than its large format brethren fortunate enough to have found themselves mastered for home video from original elements, not reduction elements.
For the record, Super Panavision (aka Panavision Super 70)'s correct ratio of projection is around 2.2:1 or 2.21:1 (it is a "flat" 65mm film format). Ordinary 'Scope Panavision is an anamorphic 35mm format (this is unrelated to the process of "anamorphic enhancement" on DVD, and it goes without saying that WB's disc will be 16x9 enhanced) with a ratio of 2.39:1 (usually abbreviated as 2.35:1 or 2.40:1). If WB's eventual announcement comes with a 2.2:1 or 2.21:1 AR, we can breathe a little easier and praise should be tentatively directed at the studio (unrestrained praise to follow if the transfer is as superlative as it should prove).
But the key remains: Hamlet must be sourced from 65mm picture elements, or the end result, however good, is a compromise, and for this film of all films, I pray there are no compromises. A new HD master from 65mm, in addition to being downconverted for DVD, would also serve as a fine means of issuing the film in HD for the eventual (2006 update: perhaps, now, concurrent?) HD-DVD, so getting the master right this time around will serve all fans of the film well for many years to come.
The only supplement I'd really love to see (or rather hear) is a Branagh and/or cast commentary. A printable and on-screen readable version of Shakespeare's original play, perhaps with any stage direction or other additions for the screenplay noted, would be a lovely tool for students. The film itself, at four hours, should occupy two DVD-9s, and any supplements should ideally be placed on either a third disc, a DVD-5, or added to the second side of the second film disc, making it a DVD-14 and the set then comprised of one DVD-9 and one DVD-14. (No disc flipping should be required for playback of the movie, which is why it should be presented across two dual-layered sides, one dual-layered side per disc; those of us with carousel players find this very convenient, and anyone with dust worries is always loathe to leave any data side containing the movie facing upward, as is required with DVD-18s and DVD-14s that spread the film to two sides of the same disc). The entire available bit budget should be spent on the picture and its audio channels, with the minimal needs of a commentary also met.
Hmmm. I believe that's about it. Columbia/TriStar issued the laserdisc, but word has it the film is now in the hands of Warner Bros., and I'm counting on them to hit this out of the park (and I'm more or less confident they will, based on the often outstanding, standard-setting quality of much of their recent work). :emoji_thumbsup: I remain on tenterhooks in anticipation of the release.

Robert Holloway

Stunt Coordinator
Bill

What can I say. Your writing seems to be touched by the Bard himself.

I have seen this film three times and each time it gets better and each time I see new things and develop a deeper understanding of Shakespeare's great work.

For what it is worth I would pay more if the disc is done properly. I would suggest that a 4 hour Hamlet is not something "The Hot Chick" crowd are going to casually purchase.

Those who want it will buy it. So Warner, can I add to Bill's wonderful post and make my own plea. Do it right and charge us for the privelege of viewing Ken's great work in all its audio visual splendor.

Thanks for listening.

Rob

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor
Bill

What can I say. Your writing seems to be touched by the Bard himself.
Many thanks, Robert -- compliments don't come any kinder than that.

I hope (and I do trust) Warner Bros. understands the quality and import of this unique picture and allows Branagh the opportunity to oversee, as he sees fit, its DVD production, bringing one of the most overlooked masterpieces of the past few decades to homes in a faithful, large format master and transfer that will allow it its proper influence on those new to the picture, and will further offer those who first discovered it in theatres an edition they may proudly own and cherish.

Krystian C

Stunt Coordinator
This waiting is killing me. I desperately wanted to see this in theater when it came out, but it had a short 2 week run here in Winnipeg, due to an everly full schedule at the time, unfoirtunately I was unable to attend a viewing. I have long fought the urge to go rent it on VHS (pah, pah, dirty words). And have been saving myself for the DVD release. Hamlet-o, Hamlet-o, where fore art thou Hamlet-o. Soon I hope.

Robert Holloway

Stunt Coordinator
Hopefully Krystian there will be good news in about 2-3 months re a spring release from Warner.

December announcements are coming out now, so by the end of the year we should know.

However, this wait is the same every year for the last three :-(

Rob

Robert Holloway

Stunt Coordinator
I've heard countless Spring 04 rumors

Though I also heard 2002 and 2003 stories

Does anyone have any info

I know that Ken has said it's coming out

It's been a looooooong wait!

Rob

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Robert, you've now started five separate threads on this topic, which is four too many. They've been merged into a single thread, along with a few stray threads posted by others.

Any further comments or questions on the subject of Branagh's Hamlet on DVD should be posted in this thread. No more new threads are needed.

M.

Andy Anderson

Second Unit
Thanks for the mining and merging, Michael.

This is my most anticipated DVD release. Has been for some time. I'm waiting with all y'all, and will be in line on release date when (if) it sees the light of day. I hope it's given the treatment it deserves!

TonyDale

Second Unit
Any news on this? Would be cool to have on dvd with a full cast commentary!!
Which would be kinda hard to do without the use of a medium, I don't think that Jack Lemmon's talking anymore, is he? And John Guelgud's lips are sealed, permanently.
;)

Robert Holloway

Stunt Coordinator
Every six months I start another thread in the vain hope that this film might actually get released. As Police Academy and other dreck keeps hitting the shelves I wonder when Warner will get around to releasing this film.

We've heard that Branagh has worked on the DVD and that a spring release was rumored. However, with release dates now out till April I'm getting worried that once again nothing will happen.

Does anyone know anything more?

Many thanks

Rob

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Robert,

As you can see I merged your last thread into this very established thread. Starting more threads going over the same subject matter isn't going to get this film released any sooner on dvd. For the last time, please don't start anymore threads about this title. Thank you.

Crawdaddy

Greg Krewet

Premium
Supporter
I believe that 2 of the 113 people involved in this thread

might find find it benificial that in Feb, PBS will broadcast and release on dvd In search of Shakespeare.

Should be rewarding for devotees of the Bard.

Best

Greg

Robert Holloway

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry for starting so many threads. I'll stick to this in future.

It constantly amazes me that we get endless dreck from the studios and this one just lingers.

I just hope that when it eventually emerges it will have been worth the wait.

Digital Bits was my last source of a rumored release and it said Spring 2004 - if I remember rightly.

Rob

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
Okay, according to the recent Warner Bros. chat, the DVD of Hamlet is being held in limbo by "rights issues." :angry:
Anyone out there know what those issues are and what the prospects are for a quick resolution?

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, it's a bit puzzling:

- Columbia, Turner, Castle Rock, et al were the production companies/distributors

- Castle Rock released it on VHS

- Columbia Tri-Star released the Laserdisc in 1997.

Confusing stuff. Why do Warner believe they may have the right to DVD production and distribution?

What have Columbia said on this?

This masterpiece should be on DVD with lost of extras.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks