What's new

Just got totall scammed! by a member here (1 Viewer)

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
I have been truly been scammed a half dozen times or so in over 1,000 transactions on eBay, rec video groups, Compuserve, and other online since 1994 and I have been very upset each time. It is my opinion the seller overreacted here and should not have stopped shipment but believed the best and just tried to contact the buyer, his history was too strong to believe anything other than a mistake by PayPal or the buyer's bank or credit card company. I have seen honest mistakes with some link in the transaction chain more often than actual theft. Maybe I am too trusting and it is true that without taking the step to stop the shipment, a real scam could have been successful. I do believe there is no option with PayPal for the buyer to have reversed the payment and it has to be done by the credit card company or bank involved. These things sometimes happen and are definitely frustrating but without good cause, theft shouldn't be the first assumption.

Chris

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
Chris:

My only counter to your well stated points is we've had an example recently when someone started to "use" a long time member's account to sell an item both here and at AVS. The member hadn't been active on either forum for several months...and everyone assumed it was a legit ad with the member's year's of posts and tenure. Later it came out it was obivous it wasn't this member, but someone hijacking his account.

Anymore when I sell an item whether here, AVS or audiogon I get at least one scam artist trying to "buy" the item. Unfortunately, it's a buyer and seller beware enviroment, which has fostered a "gun shy/quick trigger" enviroment. I see both sides of this situation and can't find too much fault with either person.

Ron

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks