What's new

Just got a Panny CP72 and have a ? (1 Viewer)

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
Let me start off by saying I love this machine. Very quiet, and quick and great picture. My question is about the DNR, Block and Mosquito. Are these all basically edge enhancements or will they improve the picture any? FWIW, I have a standard TV, connected by S-Video.

TIA
Chris

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Chris,
They aren't edge enhancements. The Mosquito noise one will smooth out film grain on a dvd, but in most cases you are supposed to see some grain, it's usually intentional on the part of the director.

I leave them all set to 0.

Gary Thomas

Second Unit
Chris: Like Steve I keep them all set on 0. I too am very happy with this player, with a few small exceptions. The finish of the player looks cheap to me...probably because it is so inexpensive! Also, it is quirky when it comes to random play / shuffle of DVD-Audio discs. There is a specific order to hit the sequential mode / random play buttons. Also, I gave up in trying to figure out how to play "groups" of songs. DVD-A isn't nearly as convenient as SACD's to load 5 discs and play continuous music. After playing a few songs the DVD-A will spend a minute or so playing one of the extra features, like a picture from the photo gallery.

I do like the fact that it outputs 480i through the S-Video connection simultaneously with 480p through the component connection. I run the S-video through my receiver so it's easy for my wife & kids to watch a movie without having to change video inputs. For serious movie watching I'll use the progressive image through another tv input. After extensive A-B testing I find the progressive image from the Panasonic slightly more stable and more 3 dimensional than the job performed by my Pioneer 610 w/ a 480i signal. (This is true on both the S-Video and Component inputs) On Video Essentials, the scene where the camera pans across the seats of a baseball stadium shows almost no rainbow effect with the progressive image.

The 72 is a great value with lots of excellent features. To me, the picture nearly equals (but not quite) the Denon 1600. I had the Denon for a few weeks as well...but sold it to get a changer for DVD-A. I'm now thinking of going back to a single disc player...the Pioneer Elite 47Ai!

MikeSh

Stunt Coordinator
Am I right in thinking that the CP-72 is the same machine as the RP-82 but in a multi-disk changer ?

Thanks. MikeS.

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
Thanks for the help guys.

MikeS: Yes it is the same machine with changer. I researched it on here and another forum for about 4 hours Sunday night before I ordered it. $224 well spent.

Chris

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
Jay,
I sent the rebate the day I got the player. It was one of the factors in deciding to get it. I just hope now that I get it. The box the player was in looked like ti was scuffed against something and of course right where the serial # sticker was. I included what was left of the sticker and a note explaining what happened, so we'll see. Still at $224 shipped it was a heck of a deal.

Chris

Rob Lloyd

Stunt Coordinator
I'm about to order the CP72 and was wondering if I came with an optical cable or will I have to order that as well?

Thanks,
Rob

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
Rob,
No it doesn't come with the optical cable, most players don't. It comes with the remote, batteries, and a set of composite (red,black,yellow) cables.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks