What's new

Just finished my DIY computer speakers! (1 Viewer)

Ryan T

Second Unit
Hey guys,

I know some of you have seen my previous post about speaker designs. Anyway I have just finished my project. I started desinging the satilites and subwoofer about 3 months ago. I finalized the crossover at 2,300 Hz. Its a Linkwitz 2nd order X-over and theres a 2.5 dB pad on the tweeter.

The dirvers i used for the satilites are Hi-Vi TN28 dome tweeter and the vifa 4.5" buyout woofer. The subwoofer is a 2 cu. ft (tuned to 27 Hz) 10" titanic 1000. The plate amp i picked was PE's new super budget amp. It has a whooping 25 watts RMS into 4 ohms :D. But the price was right and the loudest i'll be playing my comp system is around 90 dB or so.

Anyway the design uses 6" dia PVC pipe with MDF endcaps. I went with sealed enclosures instead of ported. I know it makes the F3 of the satilites 130~ Hz but the sub is gonna take over at that point. I could have ported them and lowered the F3 to around 70 Hz but I really wanted the smaller enclosure. The laminate is PE red maple :emoji_thumbsup: .

The speakers sound GREAT! Much better than I tought they would. The only draw back is how much they are lacking in the bass departement. But with the subu I dont notice any problems.

Heres the picture of the system

Ryan

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
They look great, very original. How do you like the TN28s, they are pretty affordable and I am thinking of using them in a future project. Can you desribe the sound.

MarkRoberts

Stunt Coordinator
They look cool! Good job Ryan. At the risk of sounding dumb :b, how are you driving the pair of speakers? I want to build some computer speakers for myself. All the store bought ones have a sub/sat amp in the sub. I haven't come across any diy amps like that.

Ryan T

Second Unit
The TN28 sounds great. Its got a very clean clear sound to it. I think I like it a bit better than the Tweeter in my AV 1's even.

To drive the speakers I have to use an old stereo amp right now :/. I did all the testing with my H/K AVR 230 though. I dont think there are any really affordable plate amps for main speakers. I know PE sell large ones for PA use that are around $120.

The 25 Watt subwoofer plate amp has really supprised me. It really does push the titnaic to louder levels than i'll ever use for my comp. THe one thing i dont like about it is no auto on! Its not that big of a deal but the power switch is activated by turning the volume knob all the way down. That means you have to recalibrate each time you turn it off :/. Its propably a much better idea to just leave the little guy on. The amp is SUPER small though (i believe its only a 6 1/2" square!). So it'll fit in almost any sized subwoofer.

Heres a picture of the back of the system.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks