John Wayne: The War Wagon / Rooster Cogburn (Germany/in May)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Mr. Pacino, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Mr. Pacino

Mr. Pacino Second Unit

Universal will release on May 8th the John Wayne movies "The War Wagon"(1967) and "Rooster Cogburn"(1976) on Blu-ray in Germany. Maybe that´s a good sign that both movies are comming to the USA as well....

2. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor

Allen
    I sure as hell hope so. Though I would rather a double feature of THE WAR WAGON and THE HELLFIGHTERS.

3. Guest

Do you have a link for this? The only thing I have found is a Netherlands release on that date for The War Wagon, no Rooster Cogburn. The also have Bend of The River and Winchester 73 listed.

4. Mr. Pacino

Mr. Pacino Second Unit

www.amazon.de The German titles are "Die Gewaltigen" and "Mit Dynamit und frommen Sprüchen". You can also go to www.bluray-disc.de There´s the news that lots of Universal catalog titles will be released in May(the Eastwood westerns "Joe Kidd" and Two Mules For Sister Sarah" as well). But it´s in German. They have also posted the cover there. They´re even in English but I don´t know whether they´re the final cover artwork.

5. Guest

It now appears these will be released May 6 in the UK as well, along with Two Mules For Sister Sara and Joe Kidd. Universal titles are usually region free in UK. http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=10648

6. FrancisP

FrancisP Screenwriter

Films that are directly released by Universal overseas are generally region free. Airport was released in UK and region free. The McHale's Navy movies were released in Australia and are region free. If these films are being released directly by Universal then they will likely be region free. If they are being released by a third party then it becomes more problematic.

7. John Hermes

John Hermes Screenwriter

John Hermes
    I picked up the British releases of these, also getting Two Mules For Sister Sara. They are all region free and each looks excellent. The only thing I saw to criticize was a very small bit of gate weave on The War Wagon and Two Mules For Sister Sara, but it's quite minor. Other than that, color, sharpness, and contrast are excellent on each Blu-ray. I think any fan of Westerns or John Wayne (for two of the films) would be very happy with these releases.

Robin9 likes this.
  8. jim_falconer

jim_falconer Supporting Actor

I just watched these 2 blus last weekend, and have to say that they are absolutely stunning looking. I wish all studios took the time and care to release films onto high def with this type of quality. I can not recommend the purchase of these 2 BDs more...

Robin9 likes this.
  9. John Hermes

John Hermes Screenwriter

John Hermes
    Hopefully, the September scheduled Paramount releases in France of Hatari! and El Dorado will be nice as well. It seems crazy, with a population of 300 million + in this country, these John Wayne films couldn't make money with domestic versions.

10. jim_falconer

jim_falconer Supporting Actor

Agreed. I think Amazon UK had the 2 titles listed for a little while, but pulled them shortly after that. After seeing the quality of El Droado on AMCHD recently, I think we will be in for a treat come September!