What's new

Jessica Walter, star of Play Misty For Me and The Group died (1 Viewer)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Definitely a staple of '70s television. Always enjoyed her performances and loved her voice acting on Archer. R.I.P.

- Walter.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
A wonderful actress in everything I ever saw her do. She got better as she got older. Her performance as Archer's bitchy, bull-busting mother is priceless, and she guest starred in almost every show imaginable always to great effect. R.I.P.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Major gut-punch. I always imagined her voicing Archer beyond MY lifetime.

And if she had only voiced Malory Archer, that right there would be more than enough to hang an entire career on. Absolute legend. R.I.P.

She was in PCU too. RIP.

This movie still gets played in my house at least once per year (I still have the LaserDisc and DVD editions). Scarily-prescient film about cancel culture (seriously, about the only thing missing in it is social media). And Jessica is absolutely hysterical in it, too.

Last edited:

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
such a talent, and such a career, drop back to the late 60's, earlier 70' tv shows and she was great the, and it has just continued to grow,

like Josh, there is going to be that empty spot in Archer that is unreplaceable, and episodes where she made that show.

0*uciA4u46ocKtaxgL.gif

to play something like that, you had one of the greatest sense of humors, Rest in Peace

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Watching the Lucille-centric episode of Arrested Development Season 4 (original cut) in honor of Jessica Walter.

Real Asian Prison Housewives of the Orange County White Collar Prison System is genius. I forgot how Lucille arranged for "Olive Garden" to give out "unlimited bread." And of course, the critical origins of "hot mess."

Also, my friends and I have gotten way too much mileage out of this clip over the last few months:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
How ironic! I have been slowly working my way through season 1 of Banacek, and tonight I got to the season finale, and who was the top-billed guest star? Jessica Walter! Fine episode, and she and George Peppard had a feisty chemistry trying to solve the mystery before the other.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
That’s funny. Which show/film is this from? That’s Jason Bateman, right?
Arrested Development! The original three seasons are far superior to the reboot on Netflix. She is HYSTERICAL in it! It stars Jason Bateman, Portia DeRossi, Henry Winkler, Liza Minelli and more, narrated by Ron Howard.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Arrested Development! The original three seasons are far superior to the reboot on Netflix. She is HYSTERICAL in it! It stars Jason Bateman, Portia DeRossi, Henry Winkler, Liza Minelli and more, narrated by Ron Howard.
Thank you. Jeffrey Tambor is in the series too, right?

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
Huge fan of '70's cinema & TV, so am very saddened to hear about the passing of both Jessica Walter and George Segal.

Play Misty for Me
(1971) is one of my favorite Eastwood films. I really felt sorry for the JW character - despite her heinous acts in the movie. The film features a creepy, disturbing storyline & great acting. I also liked the scenic Carmel, CA ocean-side setting, as well as CE's unusual house. PMFM is unfortunately & unfairly compared to the far inferior Fatal Attraction (1987).

In looking at her body of work, I also see that JW's was in episodes of many iconic TV shows from that era, including the original Hawaii Five O, Mission: Impossible, and The Streets of San Francisco.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks