What's new

I've got a new dog! (1 Viewer)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I would like to let everyone know ,to get a set of doggie stairs, as alot of dogs get back pain. And you don't want to put them down for something that can be so easily avoided. I came home one day to find Brandi in her bed screaming, she did not hear me come in. So I took her to the vet. Please don't let them jump on the bed or get the stairs. She was seventeen.

Oh gosh! Just reading that broke my heart. Rosie is allowed on the bed, but she uses a box at the foot of the bed to get up. She did take a flying leap off the bed late last week; it caught both of us by surprise and will not happen again. Right now, we're picking her up off the bed and putting her on the ground.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
mike%2Bike%2Breading%2Bcameron.jpg

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Oh gosh! Just reading that broke my heart. Rosie is allowed on the bed, but she uses a box at the foot of the bed to get up. She did take a flying leap off the bed late last week; it caught both of us by surprise and will not happen again. Right now, we're picking her up off the bed and putting her on the ground.

Speaking of "flying leaps". I used to have an Italian Greyhound (think regular greyhound, but only 12 lbs.).

Champion AKC dog, but they can have very fragile front legs. She took a leap off the back of my couch, landed on her front legs (her handler and I nearly died), and she was fine. Just running and playing, having the time of her life. Dogs can be really tough.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Looks like Ike has been doing a lot of snorkeling. He has some serious tan lines from those goggles. :lol:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Hey Chris!

That's awesome! Her book (I'm assuming you're talking about Faithfully Yours) has been doing pretty well for her and her publisher.

But it is always a thrill to hear that it's been seen on book store shelves somewhere! :thumbsup:

Thanks for "reporting in!" :D

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Semi-related. Took my Italian Greyhound to the national show in Wisconsin. Weird situation but I ended up driving the writer of "The" Italian Greyhound book to some different sites. Don't remember her name, but wow, talk about intimidating.

Now have a black lab. She's very cuddly and even at 70 lbs. lays on my chest when I'm sleeping. She's named Kylie, finally figured out she was drooling on me :lol: Now I just call her "Droolie".

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Now have a black lab. She's very cuddly and even at 70 lbs. lays on my chest when I'm sleeping. She's named Kylie, finally figured out she was drooling on me :lol: Now I just call her "Droolie".

And that's one reason we love dogs so much! They sleep with us and drool on us! :thumbsup:

Stan

Senior HTF Member
And that's one reason we love dogs so much! They sleep with us and drool on us! :thumbsup:

Oh yes, they are wonderful, but nobody told me labs are such droolers. Life would be so lonely without pets. I've got Kylie, the black lab, a Siamese cat (20 years old, so incredibly healthy, just defies all the odds), and four Australian finches. And I feed the neighborhood squirrels. Good old fashioned animal lover.

The birds are kind of a pain, they are really sloppy. But my dog is the joy of my life. I was worried when I got her at two months old (six years ago), to have to go through the housebreaking routine. Turned out to be a non-issue. Day one, she just went to the back door and stood there, she needed to go. Never to this day has she made a mess in the house,

My little greyhound, wow, big difference. Took probably six months to train her and even then it wasn't perfect. We finally came to an agreement and I put pee-pads in the bathroom. No more toy breeds for me. Although she did have a tough start in life. She was neglected in her early months, the breeder's daughter had just been murdered by her husband, so the dogs kind of dropped off the radar for a while.

I bought her at seven months old, only with the agreement I'd show her and get her AKC championship (a friend raising Akitas vouched for me, otherwise I'd never have been considered worthy). Funny thing was she was the runt of the litter, last one to be sold, but at the various dog shows in the NW, she beat every one of her sisters and brothers. I'd just politely smirk at the other owners as I walked away with the win.

Of course I couldn't show her, my Akita friends would take her into the ring. I literally had to hide, because if she saw me, absolute freak-out, total spaz attack. The most adorable dog I've ever had, she just unconditionally loved me.

With the toy breeds, they put them on a table so the judge can check their structure, temperament, etc. She didn't care for it, so we stood her up on a table, invited about 50 people to come by and touch her, check her out. She got used to that really fast.

Okay, shutting up now. I'm really becoming a thread hog.:P

And to think, it's probably going to get worse next week. Going in for back surgery and will have lots of free time as I recover. Get used to me, I refuse to go away :rolleyes:

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Black lab, sleeping on me as I try to type. My Siamese cat literally walks across her face to sit on my chest. Not until the cat gets bored with me and steps off does the dog even notice. I think it's a game with them, the cat pushes it as far as she can, but she runs really fast and will head to the basement, which she owns.

The bottomless pit of the basement. The dog has never been downstairs. I don't know what she sees, but she's six years old and never stepped off the top step. I guess it's the "safe zone" if you're a cat ;)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Yes, I'm a thread hog.....

Baby-sitting a pit-bull for supposedly a few hours, or it could be a few days. The owner is in hospital, her grandson is taking care of the house, but he's a mega stoner, druggie type, so I took the dog this morning.

I'll give it a day or two, but after that, he's going to a shelter. My lab and the pit-bull get along fine, they almost just ignore each other. He tries to play with my dog, but nope, not going to happen. She's very protective and immediately jumped up and laid across me, like "He's mine, stay away". The pit-bull is amazing, just gentle, friendly, not at all like the attitude people expect. My cat even came up and checked him out. Very weird.

Animals can be so bizarre, but everything is fine, everybody now quietly snoozing.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Thread hog posting again, wide awake at 2:30 a.m. my time.

Dogs, cat and birds are getting along fine. (no I'm not some weird OCD person, just have a few pets).

Don't quite trust the pit-bull enough yet, weather is still comfy, so he'll be in the backyard for a few hours while I run some errands.

I'm still amazed at how everybody gets along. It's not even like they tolerate each other, they just don't seem to care. Oh, another dog. Whatever.....

My lab actually caught one of my birds about a year ago. I closed the door and let them loose to get some exercise. She pushed the door open, jumped up and caught one. Didn't harm the bird at all. I pried her jaws open, freed the bird, which of course was slobbery and terrified, but everything was fine.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
You just can't sleep because you think the pit bull is going to start eating you as soon as you nod off! :laugh:

Ever see the pix on the internet of the dog and his birds??

ScreenShot4407.jpg
2A4C7C7F00000578-3152277-Extreme_close_up_Bob_the_golden_retriever_has_been_taking_the_in-a-16_1436299800255.jpg
Those photos are amazing. I've got four Australian finches (they're like the two little ones to the left of the dog in the first photo). Let them out one day to exercise, my black lab forces open the door, jumps up and catches one. I got there instantly, pried her jaws open and removed the terrified, drool covered bird. Still here two years later, but they stay in their cage now. I can open it up and nobody leaves, guess it was a scary lesson for all.

On a sadder note, the pit-bull I'm taking care of may be here for a while. My neighbor passed away this morning. Not sure what will happen, I'm not going to bother the family at this time, so I'll take care of him, maybe even end up keeping him, who knows.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks