What's new

I've got a new dog! (2 Viewers)

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I was just thinking... that poor dog probably has no idea his owner is passed on* and is maybe just waiting until they can be reunited again, which will never happen. So for him to transition to a new home with a same-breed dog to play with, and a horse, that's really something special.

*...or maybe he does. My dog was friends with a neighbor dog down the street. Every time we'd walk past the house he'd run up to the window beside the front door and look in. Eventually his friend would come to the window and they'd just look at each other, tails wagging, until I pulled him away. Eventually his friend became sick and died. My dog ran up to that window and waited but his friend didn't come so he came back to the sidewalk and we continued. He never went to the window again.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
And I realize that I've fallen behind in posting pictures.

Ike recently did double duty at an event at which he worked in his role as a certified therapy dog AND as goodwill ambassador for Peg as she signed copies of her book:

full

And my granddaughter recently helped me walk both Ike and Kelly (until we ran into a bit of trouble!):

full

full

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Well, here we go again. The pit and the horse were great for about two days, then the horse suddenly got very territorial, would try and kick the dog if it came close. Fairy tale ending comes to an abrupt halt.

The pit is now coming back to stay with me later today. The woman who took him will take him back for a few days when I have my spinal surgery, but then he's mine and I begin the search again for a permanent home. Maybe just fate that he keeps ending up with me.

She did take him to a vet, got a rabies shot, check-up (very healthy, but still about 15 lbs. overweight, so I'll work on that), and they clipped his nails, which probably hadn't been done in maybe a year. They were easily an inch long, but he wouldn't let me touch them.

On well, I'm a pushover for a nice dog. I probably shouldn't have answered the phone, or turned the TV off, pretended I wasn't home if she came by, but I'll take care of him.

Luckily he's very gentle, loves to play and he and my lab get along great. One thing I really like, is that unlike my lab, whose fur ends up everywhere (I'd swear I could have stuffed a king sized mattress with what she's shed in her six years), he's very low maintenance.

As Arnold said "I'll be back"

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Hey! Stan's got a new dog!

:laugh:

As Mike predicted, I've got a new dog.

After several stays at other homes, things just didn't quite work. Tired of trying to find a new home or a shelter that guarantees he will not be euthanized.

I'm keeping him.

Fantastic personality, gets along great with my dog, the neighbor's Akita, even my cat :blink: Despite an Akita attack a few months ago, different dog (I'll explain later). 100% housebroken, extremely well behaved, I think it will be easy. And unlike my black lab, he's not a drooling machine and doesn't shed 50,000 hairs a day, very low maintenance.

He's been to four different homes the past few weeks, but every time he sees me, comes running back, he's so happy, it's like he just knows he's home. I'm just an old softie, so not stressing him out any longer. The last person who took him also took him to her vet, got all his shots, rabies, etc., nails clipped. They're guessing he's about ten years old, extremely healthy, about 20 lbs. overweight, but I can fix that.

Maybe not officially a new dog, but a new lease on life for the dog. :)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
The "new" pit is doing great. He's essentially like my lab, just a big lump that sleeps most of the day. I'll take him out to play (he's amazingly fast when he runs, especially if he sees a squirrel), the occasional walk, he'll be fine and I like him.

For some odd reason, a close friend and neighbor just bitches, and bitches about the dog. She actually told me friendships have been lost over dogs. Well la de dah, "it's my life not yours, the dog doesn't affect you at all." She's one of those "I know all, and I'm always right" people, but it's really none of her business.

Just found out she left me half her estate in her will (she's 66, so I don't see her passing anytime soon, but sometimes I wish :rolleyes:), but have a feeling this has pushed her over the edge and she'll once again begin the huge process of rewriting her will, all the lawyers, witnesses, etc. So be it, I'll be fine. Not sure why something like this would bother somebody so much, she never even knew the woman who passed away.

Sent her a copy of the obituary, which included one of those "glam" photos from the '50s. She thought it was all fake, "How do you know it's her, what's her name, the age doesn't look right". Geez, give it a rest.

The name,the dates, everything matched. The photo, using my "Bones" forensic anthropology experience :lol: were obviously the woman who passed.

Anyhow, enough of my rambling, things have settled down, the dog is incredibly happy, he's got a nice, stable home to live in with somebody who cares for him and I think he somehow understands that.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Two weeks later and here's the latest. Pit is doing fine. Very, very low maintenance and all the pets get along. His weight is getting better. It's hard to tell when you see them every day, but a neighbor noticed, so that's a good sign.

At this time Nov. 3rd, I'll be on a table with my back sliced open. Yuck. But the pit will be with the friend who has the tiny horse for a few days, I'll ask if she can get some pics.

I'm guessing he'll come back home to me sometime this weekend. He's adorable and I can't deal with him going to some "mystery" home or being euthanized. Terribly judgmental, but I just picture him being picked up by some hillbilly rednecks who will beat him, put him outside in a kennel regardless of the weather and he'd live a terrible life.

Two appointments with the local Humane Society, 95% placement, but still 5% kill so I wimped out both times.

He's here, he's staying, I like him, my dog and cat like him, life goes on.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
To me...it sounds like a good deal for everybody. :D :thumbsup:

All the best, Stan. Be sure to check in as soon as you can about how things went.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Well finally, once and for all, it's officially "official". The pit-bull is mine.

The lady with the dwarf horse took him for a couple days last week while I had my back surgery. Which by the way, isn't fun. The nerve/disc issue is fixed, the incision is about two inches long, looks like a Frankenstein operation, I'm guessing probably 15 stitches, huge bruise and major pain, but no bleeding, infection or anything bad. The nerve/leg pain was gone when I came out of the anesthesia, but wow, the incision site really hurts, but that's temporary. Gave me Hydrocodone and it did nothing, finally bumped me up to Oxycodone, so it's tolerable until it heals.

She brought the dog back yesterday and he'll be staying. She will still take him for short visits if I'm out of town for a few days, or other short trips, but he is now home with me.

I'm going to bring him back to her place sometime soon because I want to meet the horse, so a quick day trip and I promise to get pictures. :)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well, as you folks who are subscribed to this thread well know...I started this thread more than four years ago when my wife and I started the process of adopting a new dog. We went through a real roller coaster ride along the way. We couldn't keep the first dog we got since it didn't get along well with our existing dog. We then adopted another dog--an eleven-year old golden retriever, Brooks--who only was with us a year before he developed cancer and died shortly after his diagnosis. We then met and adopted Ike--who is still with us.

You also know my wife, Peggy is an author. Besides her books about dogs she has also contributed numerous stories to Guideposts Magazine and the Chicken Soup for the Soul books.

Chicken Soup for the Soul's Editor has begun a series of podcasts in which individual stories from the books are highlighted. Today's podcast featured one of Peggy's stories--the one which laid out our year with Brooks. The editor does a really nice job laying out the story and advocating for dog rescue and, in particular, the adoption of senior dogs.

I've included the link above if you want to hear the tale. It's about five minutes long.

Thanks!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I had my back surgery. Which by the way, isn't fun. The nerve/disc issue is fixed, the incision is about two inches long, looks like a Frankenstein operation, I'm guessing probably 15 stitches, huge bruise and major pain, but no bleeding, infection or anything bad. The nerve/leg pain was gone when I came out of the anesthesia, but wow, the incision site really hurts, but that's temporary. Gave me Hydrocodone and it did nothing, finally bumped me up to Oxycodone, so it's tolerable until it heals.

Sam: Glad to hear you are on the mend. The healing process is great--by definition. You feel better! :thumbsup:

One of the negatives is that we never recover as quickly as we might hope/want. Patience is an important part of the process, though. Because we can't rush things. We need to just go along for the ride.

Keep on keeping on! :D And let those dogs give you all the support you need! The drugs will help, too! :laugh:

Stan

Senior HTF Member
One of the negatives is that we never recover as quickly as we might hope/want. Patience is an important part of the process, though. Because we can't rush things. We need to just go along for the ride.

Patience, as I've discovered is a big part of the process. I felt great, walked to the grocery store (1/2 mile each way). Oh, big mistake. Following doctor's orders now and no major activity for the next two weeks, possibly longer.

Guess the pain meds cover up things and you think everything is fine, but don't believe it. I can barely even walk from my couch to my bed now, it's awful. PCP appointment on the 10th, flu shot and I was going to have him take out the stitches. But appointment with the surgeon on the 16th, he'll do the stitches.

Just one of those male bravado things, I was going to be a stud and move on with life. Wrong. Don't rush it.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Patience, as I've discovered is a big part of the process. I felt great, walked to the grocery store (1/2 mile each way). Oh, big mistake. Following doctor's orders now and no major activity for the next two weeks, possibly longer.

Guess the pain meds cover up things and you think everything is fine, but don't believe it. I can barely even walk from my couch to my bed now, it's awful. PCP appointment on the 10th, flu shot and I was going to have him take out the stitches. But appointment with the surgeon on the 16th, he'll do the stitches.

Just one of those male bravado things, I was going to be a stud and move on with life. Wrong. Don't rush it.

Rookie mistake! :laugh:

You gotta listen to your body. It'll let ya know--sure as shootin'--when you screw up and overdo! :D

Slow down, buddy!

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Rookie mistake! :laugh:

You gotta listen to your body. It'll let ya know--sure as shootin'--when you screw up and overdo! :D

Slow down, buddy!

Oh yes, I've gotten the lecture from plenty of friends. But this was my first, hopefully only, major surgery. I felt great, but it was a trick. Not moving now for two weeks, other than the doctor appointments, and those will be with friends driving me, as little movement as possible.

Nobody trains you for this stuff, but it has been and still is an ongoing learning experience.

It's odd, but you don't realize how much you rely on others until you actually have to rely on others. All the little things you normally do, suddenly you can't for a while. You just take it for granted. Thank goodness I somewhat planned ahead, lots of meals prepped, house cleaned, laundry done, grocery shopping taken care of, etc. Had no idea how much this would affect me.

And this was relatively minor. Not heart surgery or what's coming up in the next year or so, a total knee replacement, yuck... But I'll know much more about how to plan ahead. Injured my knee in 1984 (it's not an old man thing, I was 24), three operations since, and I'm about bone on bone, no cartilage left, so the inevitable approaches. :(

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
A couple of weeks ago I had to say goodbye to Marty - pictured below looking wistfully off into the ocean while his brother, Ernie (who past a few years ago) steals yet another head rub from me.

Marty was 17 years old, adopted from a shelter when he was around a year old. He was terribly shy and we presumed had been mistreated. He was loved warmly through his life - and at one point had 3 brothers and a sister to fight and play with. After my divorce over 10 years ago, our five dogs were split logically between us, with Ernie and Marty staying together with me as they were locked at the hip (well, Marty would happily spend his time in Ernie's shadow). When Ernie passed away (I dedicated my review of Thor to him as I recall), I was worried that Marty would be lost. He wasn't. He assumed the throne and proudly engaged his King status with enthusiasm. He'd never been more assured.

Over the years, he went deaf and eventually lost sight in both eyes. But he would wander all around our backyard sniffing his way safely among the assault course of flower beds, child's swing, and my ongoing attempt to build a standalone patio area. This past year he was slower, but never more adventurous in his wanderings around the yard.

But his appetite waned, as did his energy. I took him to the vet and they told me that old age was causing advanced kidney and liver failure. It was just his time. I stayed with him for a long time hugging and saying goodbye. After the vet (who was just wonderful) had given him his final injection, I stayed with him longer still - saying goodbye and asking him to tell Ernie hello and to let him know that I miss them both terribly.

We now have no dogs running around the house and it feels too quiet and too empty. But the pain is so incredible - now having to say goodbye to all 5 dogs over the past few years (the three that went with my ex-wife have all passed away now too) - that I just can't think about a next generation of four-legged wonders to become a part of our world. Maybe someday. But not yet.

Anyway, I wanted to honor Marty and tell you about how loveable, shy, stubborn and happy this little fella was for 17 years.

Goodbye_Martyjpg.jpg

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Aw, Neil...

I feel your pain today. It is with great sadness I hear your story. I will say to you what I say to everyone who tells me such a tale: that the only reason it hurts so much is because the bond between us and the animal was so strong. So we want to concentrate on how good things were and how blessed we were to have these animals in our lives. But the hurt is so great; the void so large, that it is hard to cope.

It looks like for such a large dog that 17 years old is a wonderfully long life. Another blessing.

I really believe that animals have their place in God's heaven...just as they do here on his kingdom on Earth. I strongly suspect that Marty and Ernie are enjoying themselves today romping and playing together...probably with their three other former playmates.

All things come in time. Don't rush anything. You'll know when the time is right. For right now, it is appropriate to celebrate Marty and the comfort and love he shared with you and the security and comfort you gave him over all those years.

I'm sorry to hear of your loss.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Aw, Neil...

I feel your pain today. It is with great sadness I hear your story. I will say to you what I say to everyone who tells me such a tale: that the only reason it hurts so much is because the bond between us and the animal was so strong. So we want to concentrate on how good things were and how blessed we were to have these animals in our lives. But the hurt is so great; the void so large, that it is hard to cope.

It looks like for such a large dog that 17 years old is a wonderfully long life. Another blessing.

I really believe that animals have their place in God's heaven...just as they do here on his kingdom on Earth. I strongly suspect that Marty and Ernie are enjoying themselves today romping and playing together...probably with their three other former playmates.

All things come in time. Don't rush anything. You'll know when the time is right. For right now, it is appropriate to celebrate Marty and the comfort and love he shared with you and the security and comfort you gave him over all those years.

I'm sorry to hear of your loss.

Thanks, Mike!

My wife reminded me that the morning a few years ago that Ernie passed away, I was in bed and she came to tell me that he wasn't moving. I ran down stairs in a flash and cried my heart out. The whole time I wasn't wearing any pants (I slept REALLY comfortably that prior night). My wife said that the first thing Ernie is going to ask Marty when they meet up in heaven is "Was he wearing pants?". I chuckled as I can hear them both giggling up there at my expense :)

Thanks again, Mike for your words.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Continuing saga of the mysterious pit-bull.

Well, he's still here. Only incident was he attacked my Siamese cat a few days ago, luckily I was there and nothing major, but a lot of fur sticking out of his mouth.

Cat is a major hermit, they've been in the house together over a month, but just one of those chance crossings. I was going to take him to the Humane Society, but it's been calm so far. He never enters the room where the cat spends 95% of her life, cat knows when it's safe to come out and eat since the pit is asleep 90% of the day, so I'm calling it a truce for now, just watching.

Also like my lab, he never goes into the basement, so the cat has plenty of free space. Had an Italian Greyhound about ten years ago, she also wouldn't go in the basement, unless I was asleep. But the ticky/tacky of her nails woke me up and she was busted.

But the lab and the pit, never gone down those steps. And it's not like it's a cellar with dirt/cement walls. It's totally finished, full bathroom, utilities of course, but perfectly livable. When I go down, they just lay at the top step, staring and waiting for me to return, like I've vanished into some deep, dark chasm.

The pit and my lab get along so well, and they just love to run and play, in the yard, in the house, they never bite each other, it's very obviously just playtime, so it's worth trying to keep him.

Even at night, lab sleeps with me, pit sleeps in the living room, during the day they reverse. They're learning who owns what areas at what time.

I'm still very careful around him. Maybe it's his eyes. But I don't dare try to trim his nails and I can't play with him the way I do with the lab. Just that little sensation of "I'd better not try this, he looks a little pissed".

Anyhow, for now trying to make it work.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
The never ending pit-bull story.

The lady with the miniature horse has now changed her mind and will be coming by this week to take the pit-bull. Everybody is so worried she won't be able to handle him, but he's nothing but a big lovable lump. Sleeps almost all the time, get up to eat and for his "breaks" in the back yard and some playtime with my black lab. There's no handling him, no need for a leash. He could probably trip me if I put a leash on him, he's really strong.

Anyhow, I'm just doing anything to avoid him being euthanized. The Humane Society places most dogs, but not all, so there's always that risk. Plus they have a policy of not telling you what has happened once you place a dog with them. Did a family adopt him, what kind of people are they, did you kill him? No way to know.

So we'll see how this attempt goes. If it doesn't work out, he'll be living out his life with me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks