Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Mike Frezon said:
Ike is 9.

That's a show I'd definitely want to see, Robert. Is it currently in their rotation...or one that is on disc that aired a while back? I haven't quite figured out how that program works (is scheduled). I watch a lot less ESPN these days.

You are right about the shedding. But most dogs do it. It's an issue that cycles through the seasons. For example, they shed heavily just before winter so that a newer thicker heavier coat comes in. Then they shed just before summer to lighten up their coat. Yeah... they basically shed year-round.

I know there are a couple...but one breed I've always heard doesn't shed is the Kerry Blue Terrier.

KerryBlueDianeHarrison2.jpg

Another is the Portuguese Water Dog (like the one owned by the Obamas). In fact, that was one of the main reasons they got one:

portuguesewaterdogstand.jpg

But these dogs need major grooming upkeep as their coat needs to be cut/groomed on a regular basis since it only grows and grows.
Mike,

Over the last few days while regular programming was on Holiday break, a couple of the ESPN channels were showing 30 on 30 episodes, one after another and I was just lucky enough to come across the Trenton Thunder one.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The 30 on 30 program which focused solely on G.W. Bush's first pitch at Yankee Stadium after 9-11-01 was stunning. Really good. My son tipped me off to that one and was able to find me a listing for a repeat.

I'm gonna go searching now.

EDIT: Figured out how to search my Time-Warner listings for the coming week or so, but didn't find that episode of 30 for 30. I'll stay on this until I find some way to see it.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
And I just realized...

That video is voiced by Bob Peterson of Pixar.

He directed the Pixar film, Up.

And he also voiced the golden retriever, Dug:

anigif_enhanced-7080-1400500788-21.gif

giphy.gif

squirrel-up-dog-gif.gif

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Any advice from people about a black lab, 6 1/2 years old who fell, badly, on my linoleum kitchen floor three times. Rest of the house is carpeted and she was fine. But she has her favorite chair, couch and always jumps into my bed. She suddenly stopped doing it. She'd look as if she wanted to, but was to afraid to try so would sleep on the floor.

She shook her​ head side to side a lot, couldn't tell if it was typical dog slobber or maybe something from her ears. Happened on a weekend, so was going to take her to the vet on Monday and then overnight she was fine and no problems since. I thought maybe an ear infection since her balance seemed to be an issue.

The only difference in her diet was I gave her a huge, beefy/fatty bone. I thought it had been cut into pieces, but it was just one, three pound chunk, which of course she adored.

It was scary, and way to young to lose her, then it just went away.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Whatever happened with Kylie the lab, it went away after about 24 hours.

She's running, and jumping just like normal again. Maybe a brief ear infection?

She's totally back to normal now. Still going to the vet because her rabies shot just expired. I'll ask the vet what may have happened.

It will be a fun trip, my dog loves to travel :)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
My wife and I came up empty with your problem, Stan.

My best answer would have been, "take her to the vet." Since you're going to do that anyway, maybe the vet will be able to give you some possibilities.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Mike. Very mysterious, but whatever it was came and went within about 30 hours. Maybe I'll never know.

She's a wonderful dog, never, ever messed in the house. I expected a few months of housebreaking, but I didn't have to do a thing. Eight weeks old and she'd stand by the back door. "I need to go out". She always lets me know when it's time and if I'm gone for 8-10 hours, she's fine. She just waits until I return.

Rabies update will happen in March, will post back if there is any news as to her balance issue.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
New doggie time....this is Rosie. We adopted her on Saturday night from the Humane Society. She's about eight years old, a Poodle Bichon (maybe?) mix and the sweetest girl ever. She's barked once and taken to us very quickly. The vet check up yesterday showed nothing wrong, blood-wise.

She wasn't eating or drinking for a day or so, but that cleared up last night. Tonight's job is to give her a bath since the vet gave his seal of approval. The only real issue is a case of dermatitus, which we're going to treat with medicated shampoo twice a week.

This is our first family picture (Saturday night) and then a picture from last night as I was making dinner. Note: I didn't pick out the R2-D2 sweater. That was my better half...and he hates Star Wars.

IMG_2822.JPG IMG_2820.JPG

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
That IS the droid we've been looking for! :laugh:

What an excellent thing! The upside of adopting an eight year old dog is that they are "broken in." She's house trained, mellow, knows a thing or two about life. Great choice. Do you know why she ended up with the Human Society? Some of the stories are really sad.

Totally normal for her to be put off her routine (eating, sleeping, etc.) in her new surroundings. But it sounds like she is already adjusting to her new home and all the attention you fellas are lavishing upon her. She will likely be the most spoiled pooch around!

Skin allergies can be a bitch. Figuring out what causes them can be really difficult. I might recommend you try some limited ingredient dog foods. They are expensive as hell, but really allow you to pinpoint what might might be contributing to the dermatitus. And it's not like you've got anything else to spend your money on! ;)

Golden Retrievers often have skin allergies. We found we have been able to control Ike's itchiness by having him on a food which has only two ingredients in it: Duck and Oatmeal. No fillers, by-products, etc. Nothing else. It's "Wellness Simple Limited Ingredients." And you have to stick to it. No other treats, etc. If the skin allergies continue, you can try another round of limited ingredients food. If those attempts fail, it might be something environmental. Vets usually aren't all that helpful outside of expensive blood tests which often don't show all that much.

Congratulations to all three of you! "I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
She shook her head side to side a lot, couldn't tell if it was typical dog slobber or maybe something from her ears. Happened on a weekend, so was going to take her to the vet on Monday and then overnight she was fine and no problems since. I thought maybe an ear infection since her balance seemed to be an issue.

---SNIP---

It was scary, and way to young to lose her, then it just went away.

It has been a long time (early 90s) since I have had a black Lab. She always had trouble with her ears, and I was constantly having to use a prescribed ear wash/disinfectant on them. It did not cause her to have vertigo; she was often pawing and scratching at them and whimpering.

I would definitely keep an eye on the falling down thing.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
That IS the droid we've been looking for! :laugh:

What an excellent thing! The upside of adopting an eight year old dog is that they are "broken in." She's house trained, mellow, knows a thing or two about life. Great choice. Do you know why she ended up with the Human Society? Some of the stories are really sad.

Totally normal for her to be put off her routine (eating, sleeping, etc.) in her new surroundings. But it sounds like she is already adjusting to her new home and all the attention you fellas are lavishing upon her. She will likely be the most spoiled pooch around!

Skin allergies can be a bitch. Figuring out what causes them can be really difficult. I might recommend you try some limited ingredient dog foods. They are expensive as hell, but really allow you to pinpoint what might might be contributing to the dermatitus. And it's not like you've got anything else to spend your money on! ;)

Golden Retrievers often have skin allergies. We found we have been able to control Ike's itchiness by having him on a food which has only two ingredients in it: Duck and Oatmeal. No fillers, by-products, etc. Nothing else. It's "Wellness Simple Limited Ingredients." And you have to stick to it. No other treats, etc. If the skin allergies continue, you can try another round of limited ingredients food. If those attempts fail, it might be something environmental. Vets usually aren't all that helpful outside of expensive blood tests which often don't show all that much.

Congratulations to all three of you! "I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."

Well, we know very little about her. Our guess is she ran away from the old owners and ended up on the street. The Humane Society said she was a stray. The upside is she is house broken; that's why we think she came from a home. Otherwise, I couldn't tell you about her history. Rose is super chill and was VERY happy to hang out in her bed next to me all day Sunday while I was playing video games. She already has four or five new outfits to "keep her warm." Really, Andrey wants her to look cute (and we're trying to cover the dermatitis so she doesn't hurt herself scratching).

Based on being a stray, I think the allergy will clear up once she's on good food and in a stable environment. She likes Science Diet for skin health in order dogs. I'm hesitant to change that right now since she took to that food VERY quickly. We're going to do one thing at a time. First step is making sure she's eating and drinking. Second is being comfortable in her new home. And then we can tackle her small dental issues and the skin problems. But, so far so good!

I had BAD separation anxiety yesterday morning..... :(

Stan

Senior HTF Member
It has been a long time (early 90s) since I have had a black Lab. She always had trouble with her ears, and I was constantly having to use a prescribed ear wash/disinfectant on them. It did not cause her to have vertigo; she was often pawing and scratching at them and whimpering.

I would definitely keep an eye on the falling down thing.

I'll keep watching, got a few more days of medication left. Her balance seems okay, she's running and playing like normal. The only thing happening now is she's very hesitant to jump into her favorite chair or up on the bed. She does it, but she looks at them for a few seconds, like she doesn't trust herself, then goes for it.

Odd this would develop at 6 /12 years old and only one ear. but it's getting better.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Our guess is she ran away from the old owners and ended up on the street. The Humane Society said she was a stray. The upside is she is house broken; that's why we think she came from a home. Otherwise, I couldn't tell you about her history.

Very similar to MY poodle/bichon? mix Stanley:
View media item 2913He was found on the streets covered in soot and was on his last day at the shelter and was rescued by a rescue group which is where we found him. We think he lived in an apartment (he would not touch grass at all. would only walk and the sidewalk, stop mid-stride to do his business, then continue on) and seemed to have been loved. We have no idea if he ran away, chased a squirrel and got lost, was abandoned somewhere. It makes me sad sometimes. I don't know if someone is missing him. Or he'll eat, then hop up on the couch and curl up and I'll think of the weeks he must have spent wandering the streets looking for food.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It is always a big question when we start to wonder about the prior lives of the dogs we adopt.

What are they used to? What is new to them? Were they loved? Beaten? How long have they been waiting for someone?

And we'll never, ever be able to know (in nearly all cases).

That is one of the components of a book I have been very highly recommending called A Dog's Journey by Bruce Cameron. Since there's a film due out on the book next January...we've been talking about it some here.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Stanley is adorable, Paul! The fact that every animal rescued from a shelter should have a loving forever home really helps to reinforce there are good, solid people in the world. It sounds like we both got lucky with our dogs, too. It is sad to think someone could be missing their companion, but the upside is they get brand new loving homes full of new experiences and (maybe) a better life than what they had.

Mike, I think I'd probably bawl like a baby reading A Dog's Purpose or A Dog's Journey, especially with Rosie in my life now. I may need to see the movie first before diving into the book.

Everett S.

Movie King (formally a projectionist)
Real Name
Everett
I would like to let everyone know ,to get a set of doggie stairs, as alot of dogs get back pain. And you don't want to put them down for something that can be so easily avoided. I came home one day to find Brandi in her bed screaming, she did not hear me come in. So I took her to the vet. Please don't let them jump on the bed or get the stairs. She was seventeen.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I would like to let everyone know ,to get a set of doggie stairs, as alot of dogs get back pain. And you don't want to put them down for something that can be so easily avoided. I came home one day to find Brandi in her bed screaming, she did not hear me come in. So I took her to the vet. Please don't let them jump on the bed or get the stairs. She was seventeen.

My dog is a Pembroke Welsh Corgi, which means he is a long, low dog and prone to back problems. He has never been allowed on the bed (which is elevated, to boot) for fear that he would take a flying leap off it. Also, I keep a close watch on his weight.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks