What's new

It's Too Durn....COLD!!! (1 Viewer)

LawrenceZ

Stunt Coordinator
A friend of mine in Edmonton e-mailed this link to me today - http://http://www.canada.com/weather
to let me know how cold it was in Edmonton this morning (-40C or -40F, same thing).

After saying, "That's a shame." I pointed out that although it was 'only' -29C/-20F this morning in Calgary, we are forecasted to make it to 3C/37F tomorrow while Edmonton will remain south of 20C. I do love it when a chinook comes along and interupts winter.

I think Calgary has to have the biggest temperature swings in the country. Last sunday we went from 10 above to a high of -20 on monday and tonight it's supposed to warm up thirty two degrees. That's a fifty-seven degree warm-up overnight for our American friends.

Kyle

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kyle
Speaking of weather changes, I'm from South Dakota and its been really cold here the last couple days (-12F) but read the following, its the world record for temp changes.

Weather Note: Sixty years ago today, people in Spearfish went from parkas to T-shirts in a matter of minutes as wild temperature changes put the town in the record books. At 7:30 A-M Mountain time on January 22nd, 1943, Spearfish recorded the world's greatest temperature variance. The mercury rose 49-degrees in two minutes - from four-degrees below zero to 45-degrees above zero. As Jerry Junek recalls: "It was quite crazy. You were cold one minute and hot the next." As the Chinook winds blew through the Black Hills, Sturgis and Rapid City also recorded bouncing temperatures. Drivers had to pull over when frost formed almost instantly on their windshields as the warm breeze passed through.
--Associated Press

MikeDeVincenzo

Stunt Coordinator
Call me nuts, but I like cold weather. :)

Food, and especially a good beer, taste much better and more satisfying to me in the cold than during a July heat wave.

I enjoy the stillness of a winter night.

And best of all, it makes the arrival of Spring far more meaningful and euphoric. :)

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
Damn you people with your 80+ degree weather! You always show up to gloat in these threads. :)

Kyle, we had something similar in our area earlier this year (err, last year - 2002), only the opposite. Weather dropped almost 30 degrees in a matter of minutes, and large chunks of ice (about the size of those super-fun-balls) began pouring from the sky. We were outside enjoying the evening, watering the garden, and suddenly it got very, very cold. The wind came up real quick and rain began pouring down. It wasn't a few seconds later I saw these white things bouncing off the grass. After a "what the?" escaped my lips, I realized what was happening and yelled for my wife, daughter & parents (we were having dinner @ their place) to get to the house. Within minutes we had foot deep piles of this ice in drifts against the side of the house & deck, and the roads turned into rivers. This went on for 10-15 minutes before subsiding. Sun came back out, temperature came back up, and half an hour later all that ice (more than I've ever seen in my life) was melted away.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
it was cold enough last night that for the first time EVER my car didn't start this morning. Strange. I have a feeling I had some water in my gas tank that possibly froze. We'll see tomorrow I guess eh?
one of my neighbors didn't get his truck going so we kinda helped each other out for an hour. All I have to say is starting fluid is your friend. :)

I know it's terrible for your car, but when it's -20 with like a -35 windchill, you don't give a fuck :D

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
God... I just walked 3-4 blocks to my friends car because there was a BU-UNH hockey game going on next door to the bar we were at. It's around 10F here tonight... my hands are STILL numb as I'm typing this!

I've lived in Mass (mostly Western, where's it's quite a bit colder (and higher elevation) than here) and I never remember it being this cold for such a long period of time... 25-35F is no problem but 5-15F is too f-ing cold for me. :angry:

For god sakes my hands were about frozen when I walked across the street to buy a sandwich at work. Mind of amtter, I say... but man, this is too much!!!

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
the crazy thing is they're calling for 30 degrees within a week! hell it's gonna warm up and RAIN, in FEBRUARY that's insane.

Michael Mathius

Senior HTF Member
This morning when I got into my car it read 37 degees. Some of you may say that's not bad. But HELL, I'm in Palm Beach County FLORIDA.:angry: :angry:

Kyle

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kyle
Philip_G, Your also in Corn country....use ethanol :) Never had a problem using 10% in my tank in any of my cars.

Well, we're having a warm up this weekend. Its supposed to be back up to 33F by Monday. I hate this Deep Freeze cold. We should be used to it living in the Dakotas, but we have been very spoiled lately. A few weeks ago it was in the 50's (record highs)

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Seems many of us (including me) wine about the temp extrems at some point, and rightly so...

Just think, another 5-months and it will be just the oppsite, too F-en Hot & Humid.

Gota take the good with the bad, and also the weird extremes inbetween. It's a balmy -19F right now, good for a crunchy snow walk...lol
My deisel 4x4 don't like to start to well in this weather. (Block heater is manditory)

We have the same warm up, with freezing rain in the forcast for us in the upcoming few days....Maybe we could get the Canada boys to put a big wind fence up to keep that Artic air up their where it belongs. ;)

And you gloating Texas boys, summers coming, and unless you live along the big water, she gets nice and toastieeee down their!
Can't hardly breath hot and humid, hope your AIR dies from running it this winter..:D lol
Well for a day or too anyway...

Lets us appreciate the spring all the more, at least us Northeren folk.

Regards
Geoff

Dana Fillhart

Supporting Actor
Yep, it's been a rough past two weeks here in the NY/NJ region, but it's finally coming to a close. Supposed to get up to 30F today (oooh, just missing melting point!), then as the clouds move through tomorrow, a balmy 37F. Intellicast.com says a couple more days after that in the teens and twenties, then it's gone for a while with temps in the 30's and 40's.

Whew! Now maybe I can leave my heater off during the day while at work.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
When I stepped out of work yesterday, it felt like summer. When I reached the car, I saw it was 18 F :eek: And it was even better today in NYC. Hopefully it's over.

--
Holadem

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
Enjoy it while you can Paul ;) Up here in Edmonton it's actually pretty good right now. I can finally dust off my sled and enjoy this winter wonderland. -41 earlier this week and its supposed to rain tomorrow...

YEEEEHAAAA!!!

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Dean.... hah! Hey I'm not THAT happy about the cold out there! My manager had to go up there on Wednesday for a conference and we were laughing when he called me from Edmonton saying the bus lost heat and it was -41 out there!

Awesome pic, hope it's good sledding weather up there for ya in the cold! How many sets of longjohns do you wear with that!? :)

You're on XBOX live eh? We should hook up when I receive my router. What games do you have?

BradK

Stunt Coordinator
At Midnight last night the temp here was -21C (-6F). At 2:00 this afternoon, it was 13C (55F). Gotta love them chinooks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks