What's new

It's Too Durn....COLD!!! (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
I just have to rant and rave about this for a second ;)..

I'm a warm weather person. I was in my prime last summer in 90 degree heat, lounging around the beach house, and riding my bike around exploring for hours. For the past two weeks, we hear in the northeast have had to put up with 15 degree days, with wind chills of 0 degrees during the nights. And it dosn't look like it's going to stop anytime soon.

Anyone who watches advance weathercasts know when we can expect to get up to at least 40 degrees? It's not bike riding weather, but at least I can start to crack open the window a little and get some fresh air in again :)..

I'm just waiting for someone to invent those Star Trek weather Modification nets that have been discussed on the show. I don't care about controlling hurricanes, or rain storms. I just want ot controll the temperature :). 60 degrees in the winter, and 85 all summer and I'm a happy person :)...

Anyone else sick of this cold weather yet?

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I've no doubt that the Super Bowl is going to make a LOT of people wish they lived in San Diego (which has almost identical weather to Long Beach, BTW). :)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
You know it's cold when you start calling 32 degrees F the melting point. I don't think we've had more than a total of 10 days above 32 since Thanksgiving. First winter in New England, and it's a far cry from NYC.

The snow was fun for like 2 seconds - then it got old fast. It's been white everywhere for a month now, at my job we still have mounds of snow as tall as me.

How civilization thrived in this kind of weather is beyond this african guy. I can't wait to get the fuck outta here some day.

--
Holadem - snow sucks.

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
For the past two weeks, we hear in the northeast have had to put up with 15 degree days, with wind chills of 0 degrees during the nights. And it dosn't look like it's going to stop anytime soon.
:D

I'm sorry but I have to laugh!!
Check out our forecast... BTW It's been this way for the last 3 weeks or so.

Text Forecast from Environment Canada Ottawa
Issued 11.00 AM est Tuesday 21 January 2003

Today
Sunny.
Wind northwest 30 km/h.
High minus 19.
Cold wind chill minus 31.

Tonight
Clear.
Low minus 28.

Wednesday
Mainly sunny.
Wind northwest 30 km/h.
High minus 19.
Cold wind chill minus 31.

Thursday
Sunny.
Low minus 22.
High minus 14.

Friday
Sunny.
Low minus 20.
High minus 11.

Saturday
Sunny with cloudy periods.
Low minus 20.
High minus 10.

Normals for the period
Low minus 16.
High minus 6.

Kind of puts things in perspective doesn't it. :)
If we had your weather we would be in shorts.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Re: Canadian Weather,

Yep, most definetly. Still dosn't mean I can't bitch about it, however :). I was also watching something on the weather channel a few days ago about a heat failure in Russia. These poor people are wearing parkas indoors even when the heat is on, because their temperatures are 20 degrees below yours ;)..

If only we could take apart the Jersey Shore, park it along Floriday, we'd be good to go :).

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
a heat failure in Russia
That's why I have a woodstove is my house. Just in case. (Anyone remember the ice storm?):)

BTW, I know you have the right to bitch... that's why I have the right to laugh.;) I'm sure if I complained I would have someone from Nunavit laughing at me. :)

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
The weather up here in the Southern Ontario area (Toronto, Kenata, Ottawa, etc.) has been... well... FRIKKEN FRIGID!!!

Let`s put it this way... you know it`s beyond cold when you step outside and your nosehairs freeze on contact with the air outside.

That move to Florida that I`ve been pondering for the past little while is sounding more and more appealing. I think I`ve had enough of snow, ice, sleet, and sub-sub-sub zero temperatures.

Screw Skiing, Skating, Ice Fishing and Snowball fights. :angry: Bring on the BBQ, rollerblades, beaches, and bikinis baby! :D

Moe.

Michael Mathius

Senior HTF Member
Hey I had to turn on the heat this past weekend because it went down to 40 degrees in Florida.

This is a MAJOR cold snap for us.:angry:

Edan W

Stunt Coordinator
(Anyone remember the ice storm?)
Yep...experienced that lovely weather phenomenon in Kingston when I went to university there. Campus was shut down for 5 days and I lived at my friends place because the power in our part of town was out all week (luckily, her part of town included the majority of the good bars).

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
Come to Minnesota... my car said it was -4 deg F this morning on the drive to work, and it doesn't feel that bad outside :)

Kevin P

Screenwriter
Hey I had to turn on the heat this past weekend because it went down to 40 degrees in Florida.

This is a MAJOR cold snap for us.
If it were to hit 40 around here people would be out walking in their shorts. :rolleyes:

Heck, next time it hits 20 it'll feel like spring. Highs are in the lower teens and lows well below zero, and that's not even counting wind chill.

Between the lack of IT/programming jobs around here and the "TOO-Fleeping-COLD" climate, I'm seriously ready to move south.

KJP

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
It's not bike riding weather
Blasphemy!!! It is always bike weather... It was a balmy 10°F when I left this morning.... One is never cold, one is just not prepared. I was plenty warm biking to work this morning, just my hands were a little cold when I started to hit the trails since gripping the handlebars constricts the warm blood from the hands, thereby making hands cold. One has to shift grips alot, at least I do when riding in the cold offroad.. On the road, I can just gingerly grip the handlebar/bar ends without any pressure so the circulation isn't cut off as much but I can't really do that off road and in the snow/ice.

On the way home today, I accidentally left the nozzle open on my water bottle and by the time I got about 9 miles from work, it froze up, I had to unscrew the cap to get water and even then it was a slushy mush. It was only 25°F when I left today.

Jay

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
I run a small window cleaning business here in Michigan. On Monday it was so cold my solution, that is rated at -30F was freezing up on some windows. I couldn't even do some of my accounts. :frowning:

I always have to listen to my parents gloat about how warm it is down in Florida. Makes me so mad

Brandon

LewB

Screenwriter
Neil:
Since you're from the NY area I hope this will help cheer you up:
I passed Yankee Stadium on Saturday and the sign on the ballpark said: 25 Days to Pitchers and Catchers
I always feel a bit warmer when I see pictures from spring training on the evening news. :D
BTW it was -7F here in PoTown on Saturday morning, but it was a dry cold :rolleyes

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
My mother moved from Montreal, Quebec to SaltSpring Island, B.C. last summer. Now she nags me about the balmy days, the blooming flowers... :angry:

I don't mind the cold. It's simply part of living in a cold climate. Besides, I have a Kanuk coat rated to -35 degrees celcius (about -30 degrees farenheit) and it has served me very well these last few days. Just make sure you also wear a furry hat and thick gloves otherwise the cold will strip your exposed skin right off!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks