What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

It's Official. I'm no longer full time. (1 Viewer)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
My brother is still at it after 38 years. He's a press photographer. For him the digital revolution made some sense in that he can spend more time in the field and less in the darkroom. Plus the printing on newsprint and at the paper's website ignores any subtlety.

As a career however it still stinks. He's never made enough to do better than "just get by".

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Journalism is one area you have always been able to get a job in photography, though it has never made for much of a living.

Just to show the flip side, my college roommate from junior and senior year has turned out to be one of the two or three most prolific photographers of our class, which is saying a lot. People come from all over the world to study photography at RIT. From what I can tell, his only real competition is a guy from Denmark. It's interesting, because he is a very low key guy. In the end, he's really doing something.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Heh, I came to this subforum, cause I'm finally being dragged kicking and screaming into buying my own digital camera. sorry to hear you've had to move on John, I sympathize.

I like my Canon T90 and lens set up just fine for anything art related, but its bulky and too much of a hassle for snapshots and most family events. I've got some stunning family portraits naturally, but I think it's about time to move on to get something a bit more convenient than trying to fit my clothes around my kit in my one carryon when I head home.

But as for the digital revolution, I hear you, John. My brother and his wife hired an amazing photographer for their wedding six years or so ago. They took incredible portraits that were gorgeous and artistic, and they worked brilliantly with everyone, from little kids to seniors, and everyone was very much at ease during the picture process. They shot everything medium format, I remember watching fascinated as an assistant would swap backs and change loads because I'd never seen it in action before. The prints they got back are simply incredible, well worth it. My cousin was so impressed that four years later she had the photographer come in for her wedding, the experience was again great but talking with them I found they'd been 'forced' to switch to digital because that's what everyone, including my cousin, wanted. The aesthetics and quality (as photos, if not in resolution) of the photography were the same, but to me something had been lost in the prints I've seen.

Just recently, at my best friend's wedding, a sister of a friend of the bride was the official wedding photographer. She was terrible, she had a low level consumer camera and no lighting equipment. The pictures can be salvaged, but it was just sort of sad to see something that will be the primary memory of the wedding is tossed off as a spot where you can save lots of money. :shakeshead: I minored in photo in college but never had an eye towards a career, but still, I'm distressed at the decline of photography.

And I'm officially jealous of your darkroom, John. I'd love to be able to just do my own black and white, but being able to process your own color prints? damn. that's like a pipedream to me, I loved doing color in college, and wish I still had that oppurtunity. :frowning:

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
I've been to weddings with pro photographers ($5k-$6k for 1/2 a day, then you get to spend $$$ on pictures) who did not take great shots and who were not very good at the people end of the business either. I've also been to weddings being shot by an amateur and that person did a great job. IMO the most important thing r.e. special occasion photography is to check out the person's portfolio and actually call some past customers for references.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I've got a dozen bags of Salada left so it's time for me to keep my promise! I just submitted my order for 3oz Emperor's Red, 2oz Yunnan Royal Golden and 1 oz samples of Nine Bend Black Dragon, Keemun Lion Mountain and Scottish Breakfast, plus a Tea Ball with Handle and a Mug Infuser.

Gave ya a shout out in the special instructions area =)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Those are excellent tea choices. The Royal Golden and Emperor's Red are two of my favorites. They better be, since they're not exactly cheap.

I looked up your order and I'm going to replace that mug infuser with a Finum, which is a much better mug infuser.

Funny thing is, I'm drinking some Royal Golden right now. I normally make Emperor's Red in the morning.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
He means me, I'm sure. I'm the bad guy cause I think people have to think darwinistically about their careers. Of course I have sympathy for the individual people who lose their livelihoods but that gets lost in the mix cause of my main belief.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
When it comes down to it, money and pretty much anything but money make strange bedfellows.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Thanks John, I really am enjoying the tea. Not sure any of the ones I've tried before will become my 'daily', but I'm enjoying rotating them in to keep things fresh. Cheers!

roaniecowpony

Auditioning
Real Name
Chuck
John,
First let me say that I wish you good luck in your new career. It's good just to have a job in these times, let alone one that you like. Many people are far less fortunate.

At every career crossroad, I've taken the safe route and picked money over what I loved. Photography was the first one I took the opposite road on, even though I had grown up with D-76 in my veins in the '60s. Becoming a professional pilot was the next love I passed on. Looking back, I think I saw both in the same light. Much like you pointed out the amatuers that dilute the photography profession, there are pilots that will fly anything for nothing, always has been, always will be.

Like 99% of people, I've hated most of the many many jobs I've had. But I have found a somewhat rewarding career in aviation safety that pays very well and is steady for the last dozen yrs.

Saddle up, John. The ride ain't over 'til it's over.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChiChi0010
Recent bookmarks