What's new

It Takes A Thief (1 Viewer)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Well, I got stuck with a missing disc in the first package I was sent. The second one though was fine.

Albert_M

Supporting Actor
My set arrived fine last week, but I agree the packaging is annoying and really well, a mess. I would rather standard cases and no additional items. In any case, a season 3 episode I watched was not as good as season 2. I wish the video quality was better, but it's still better than how I've watched it on tv, so I can now watch them a little better and whenever I want.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
The only nice thing about the box is that I can put the discs in plastic sleeves and then store them in the same box instead. Much more convenient!

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
My set arrived in good condition . i haven't watched any of the episodes yet . But i have scanned through many . The episodes seem to be in decent condition . The picture quality is soft and slightly grainy on some episodes . Sound is ok . If i had paid around $50 for the set i would have been fine with the results . But for $98 i expected a little more remastering then seems to have been done . All that aside , i am happy to have it on dvd . A favorite of mine as a kid . And since i doubt it will be released again ,any time soon . I will enjoy this set . It's better quality then i've seen to this point .

Doug^Ch

Second Unit
After reading all of the video quality comments on this thread, I was really upset that I had preordered It Takes a Thief. Now having watched the first eight episodes, I can say that I am very pleased with the VQ. I was expecting washed out color such as can be seen in video taped episodes from the 70's and 80's that have made their way to DVD. It is nothing of the sort. I think quality is very good.

gruagach

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Henry
I was going to buy the set until I started reading about the poor image quality. Saw some bad screen grabs. I'll have to see some more before pulling the trigger. Otherwise, It Takes A Thief will have to remain along Memory Lane for me.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I got it and to me it looks fine. Its not remastered and its not from 35mm but from 16mm. Of course, I haven't forgotten the days of independent stations where all shows looked like this. They aren't as bad as the Room 222 sets but 16mm is still 16mm. Certainly better than the off-air records I have from 30 years ago.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
The episodes don't look outstanding by any means, but anyone who likes the series should get the set. The transfers are disappointing, but certainly not so bad as to warrant not watching the series, or watching edited and even worse-looking copies.

PatrickGoodluck

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Patrick
Neil Brock said:
I got it and to me it looks fine. Its not remastered and its not from 35mm but from 16mm. Of course, I haven't forgotten the days of independent stations where all shows looked like this. They aren't as bad as the Room 222 sets but 16mm is still 16mm. Certainly better than the off-air records I have from 30 years ago.
Sounds good enough to me. I suspect perhaps the main reason why Amazon is receiving complaints and taking it off the market for now is because most people are expecting 35mm remastered prints and if it isn't, they think something is drastically wrong. Personally I don't mind 16mm prints because the audio is usually more superior than the remastered 35mm DVDs; which often has a very nobbled sound when put through filters and the like to eliminate any hiss in the soundtrack. The 16mm prints seem to be left as is without tampering. As was the case with Room 222. I was happy with those sets, so if this set is better then I'm all for it. :)

thedoctor

Auditioning
Real Name
rubberduckie
My overall impression from the clips I've seen (I've not got the set yet, but have seen bits and pieces) is that it looks a bit like the region 1 release of Jason King, which was also shot on 16 mil and was not remastered. It's what you'd expect from archive television from this period when it's not remastered, not horrible, but not great.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Neil Brock said:
PatrickGoodluck said:
Sounds good enough to me. I suspect perhaps the main reason why Amazon is receiving complaints and taking it off the market for now is because most people are expecting 35mm remastered prints and if it isn't, they think something is drastically wrong. Personally I don't mind 16mm prints because the audio is usually more superior than the remastered 35mm DVDs; which often has a very nobbled sound when put through filters and the like to eliminate any hiss in the soundtrack. The 16mm prints seem to be left as is without tampering. As was the case with Room 222. I was happy with those sets, so if this set is better then I'm all for it. :)
I agree with everything allready said about this set, good and bad...but, that being said, I'm pleased with this set and enjoying it tremendously! If you're a fan of IT TAKES A THIEF you shouldn't hesitate to get it, especially if you can get it at a good discount in the future...the colors are fine in seasons one and two, but a lot of the season three source elements have either a yellow or red shift tint to them, that diminishes quickly 2-3 minutes into their running times, only to return near the episode ending...I suppose because those are the segments of the original print reel that are most prone to chemical degradation in the yellow, cyan and magenta fix (?) being more exposed to environmental reagents (?)...I'm no expert...and for all episodes a lot of dust specks, scratches, etc...but as Danny says, nothing excessive at all...and, as Patrick refers, the Dolby 2.0 audio is wonderful, especially in surround sound...I can't get enough of the great Dave Grusin theme (both versions, allthough I prefer the theme in seasons 1 and 2)...the only glitch I've found is in the opening theme and title credit sequence in the season 2 episode "Boom at the Top" , where a pixelating image of guest star Barry Sullivan appears very briefly and disapears quickly and the episode continues as it should...certainly this must be some editing mistake in the disc authoring to begin with? Anyway, I'm really enjoying this show again and just want to put the naysaying in a more complete context...

Lyson

Auditioning
Real Name
mike mcw
I really appreciate all the comments about the plusses and less than plusses of this set - in the end I think I'll wait. There a couple of nagging factors besides the PQ issues - releasing the entire series at one time - might be explained by the fact that it's 3 seasons -and not Gunsmoke or even Hawaii 5-0 - but it struck me a little odd. Also I haven't seen a DVD site review of this set - and I check about 10 of them regularly. Again there might be a good explanation for this but I don't know. I hope people will continue to comment on this set - it was one of my favorites - and I'll probably go for it at some point. Just not now.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Here is the only review i have seen so far from a review site: http://www.dvdtown.com/review/it-takes-a-thief/dvd/9451

Lyson

Auditioning
Real Name
mike mcw
Thanks for the link - I said i check 10 sites and DVD Town probably would be included in the 10 which = I guess I can't say I check 10. In any event the review is consistent with posters here - the DVD PQ isn't stellar but the content creates a slight win.Thanks again. Probably still waiting for a potential lower price.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by smithb

Originally Posted by Ron Lee Green [url=/t/309748/it-takes-a-thief/90#post_3880080]

Here's another review done back in November:
[url=http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/51196/it-takes-a-thiefcomplete-series/]http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/51196/it-takes-a-thiefcomplete-series/

Actually, that review was posted 12/13.

Well that explains why I didn't see it earlier. I guess the November date must be the day the set was released.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks