It Takes A Thief

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Frank Soyke, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Frank Soyke

Frank Soyke Screenwriter

Frank
    Read a while back it was coming out. Haven't heard anything since. Hope its soon. Really looking forward to it.

2. Flashgear

Flashgear Second Unit

Randall
    I second that motion and hope it's for the complete series, however they want to do it...I'd prefer season sets or the option of the complete series... they did a fine job with Ellery Queen which I've enjoyed.

It Takes a Thief was definitely one of the "cool" shows of the late sixties and I found it to be exciting, suspenseful and funny as well...I was disappointed at the time that it only lasted two seasons...

3. gruagach

gruagach Stunt Coordinator

Henry
    Actually, it was three seasons. The last with Fred Astaire.

4. smithb

smithb Screenwriter

I remember hearing mention of that. But when I looked it up I found out Fred Astaire was only in 5 of the 24 episodes. I guess I was expecting more based on how it was presented.

5. Flashgear

Flashgear Second Unit

Randall
    Thanks Brad for the correction, and glad there is 3 seasons...I should have done the math on that one as I do remember watching the last episodes of the original airings early in 1970...

6. ToddR2

ToddR2 Stunt Coordinator

Todd Rutherford
    The season 1 set from Madman included the extended version of the pilot. The A/V quality is on par with their Ironside releases. It's worth picking up.

7. DeWilson

DeWilson Cinematographer

Denny

There is an extended pilot?

8. ToddR2

ToddR2 Stunt Coordinator

Todd Rutherford
    Yes, extra footage was added and it was shown theatrically as "The Magnificent Thief".

9. DeWilson

DeWilson Cinematographer

Denny
    Any word an the R1 release of the series yet?

10. FanCollector

FanCollector Producer

Lee
    I e-mailed e One about a month ago and was told it was tentatively scheduled for October. The timing sounded flexible, but they still seemed sure it would be coming. And if worse comes to worst, I also e-mailed Madman in Australia. They have already licensed the second and third seasons of It Takes a Thief, as well as the first season of Switch. No release dates yet, but the sets are all forthcoming. (As are the next two seasons of Quincy, M.E.)

11. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Cinematographer

Well, that's good news about Madman. At least if E1 drops the ball, we can pick it up from them. I would like to actually see the aired version of the pilot, which I believe was around 75 minutes. That's actually the rarer version as the extended was released on VHS as well. I hope Switch works out as last I heard, Universal was having trouble locating the pilot movie for the series. Not mentioned, but I heard they had licensed Delvecchio as well. As with all Universal series, its not always what they have but what they can find usable elements on, i.e., good tape transfers or 16mm prints. If they have to go back to the 35mm fine grains, forget it unless Bill Gates wants to start a DVD company.

12. mrmike898

mrmike898 Agent

Michael Wagner
    [​IMG] EOne is releasing It Takes A Thief: The Complete Series 18 DVD Set on October 11, 2011. According to info from EOne, it will retail for $199.98 and runs 816 minutes (including Pilot). Bonus Features are listed as: -Retrospective Featurette -New Interview with Robert Wagner -"Magnificent Thief" Pilot Episode -"A Matter of Larsony" Interview with writer Glen A. Larson -Collectible Photo Book TVShowsOnDVD just posted about it before I could even finish typing. I'm pretty excited about this release!

13. Frank Soyke

Frank Soyke Screenwriter

Frank
    Great release... Can't wait!

14. Frank Soyke

Frank Soyke Screenwriter

Frank
    Great release... Can't wait!

15. Mr. Pacino

Mr. Pacino Second Unit

200 dollars for 3 Seasons? That´s very expensive........ and not normal. I´ll keep my German DVD´s though they didn´t release the second part of the second Season yet. But I´ll wait until they release the rest of Season 2.

16. Regulus

Regulus Cinematographer

William Hughes
    Hang loose, somebody will probably have it for $99.99 on "The National Day of Insanity". :laugh: (That's the day after Thanksgiving for those of you in a certain California Town!) :D

17. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    The Ellery Queen sets were heavily discounted upon release and were featured at Sams Club/Costco. (I still see them at both places occasionally) and I would expect this set to be equally discounted and obtainable for around $100. If the quality matches what E1 delivered on Queen - this will a no brainer purchase.

It is mind boggling to me that Universal can "lose" the pilot film to Switch. Is this a case where they know where the original 35mm elements are but they're too cheap to spring for new transfers and now they're trying to find replacements for whatever was lost in the fire?

18. dhammer

dhammer Second Unit

David
    200 dollars for 3 seasons! That is an outrageous price. It Takes A Thief has been one of those 60's series I really wanted but $200. ????? I think I will wait for a sale or the price to drop.

19. cajunhillbilly

cajunhillbilly Screenwriter

Willard
    Me as well

20. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Cinematographer
    Supporter

Ray
    I don't understand the logic of MSRP sometimes, but the Abbott & Costello Show set has a MSRP of about $60, but was available around $20 last Christmas from Amazon. Same for Ellery Queen. Currently, both are around 50% off. I wouldn't get to worked up about the MSRP of this set. If the pattern is followed, it should be availabe for around $60+ shortly after release.