What's new

Issues With Subwoofer. Any Advise Appreciated (1 Viewer)

ChromeJob

Second Unit
Real Name
David S.
Oh, yes, I wasn't thinking of 5.1 mixed music. I said "Not so much," not absolutely; no need for snarcasm.

I do have a few DVDs with 5-channel music mixes, e.g. Peter Gabriel's PLAY DVD has new 5.1 mixes for all the videos,... but I generally still think of music as 2.0. Guess I'm old-fashioned that way.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
It wasn't snarcasm...

(Having a "wonderful start" to the weekend...see my "Friday the Fricken 13th"...)

My "gray area quotient" is muddled. More like black and white...

ChromeJob

Second Unit
Real Name
David S.
I'm sorry, I couldn't have known what happened to you at work yesterday. I hope your coworker is safe and has speedy recovery.

Back to OP's question, some recreational window shopping shows some pretty attractive 5.1 systems from Hsu Research (Ultra, Value lines) and SVS Sound (Prime speaker systems) for not much more than SVS' Prime towers as a pair. Considering the availability of 5.1 music content, perhaps the days of buying a 2.0 or 2.1 speaker set are drawing to a sunset. I have to get my head around that...

jksman

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave
hmm well i have some things to think about then.

I wasn't able to look inside of the Sub. It has a weird specific hex key that I don't have. I'm going to try and track down something tomorrow so I can take a look at inside.

I'm thinking rear speakers will be something I will look into for movies. I've got a decent panasonic plasma which has an awesome picture, so i'd like to have a good sound to pair.

I do listen to a lot of music and in the market for getting some tower speakers.

jksman

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave
Robert_J said:
The power light comes on but still no sound. That sounds like the amp is OK and it may be a driver issue. Gently press the cone down and listen for any scratching. That could be a sign that your voice coil has overheated or you bottomed it out. If it moves without noise, then remove the driver and test the resistance of the driver with a multi-meter. Don't have one? Use a 9v batter and touch it to the terminals to see if the driver moves. No resistance or the driver doesn't move then you have a broken tinsel lead.

Yeah so I took a look inside. I used a 9v battery to tough the terminals and the driver definitely moved. I looked at the tinsel and it appeared to have no issues. I also made sure the terminals and the main cable we fully connected and that never seemed to help.

So I am unsure what the issue may be. Maybe going back to the amp issue? it is definitley receiving power, but maybe an issue with the audio input?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
This is when you...

Attach the subwoofer amp to your center channel speaker...

And

Connect center channel of the AVR to the subwoofer driver...

jksman

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave
schan1269 said:
This is when you...

Attach the subwoofer amp to your center channel speaker...

And

Connect center channel of the AVR to the subwoofer driver...

I'm sorry. I'm probably being a bit slow right now, and it almost makes sense to me, except I don't know what to connect where haha..

How am i going to connect the subwoofer driver to the AVR?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
jksman said:
I'm sorry. I'm probably being a bit slow right now, and it almost makes sense to me, except I don't know what to connect where haha..
How am i going to connect the subwoofer driver to the AVR?
With speaker wire.

jksman

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave
To bring this back to light.. I connected the sub amp to one of my speakers and there was no sound.

I think the issue is not with the driver of the sub, but probably with the amp? Any ideas here, or is this something that may require a factory component?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Does the sub driver work connected directly to the AVR?

Don't worry about crossovers. You only need a few seconds. Sending full range to a bass driver isn't going to do anything to it. Voices will simply be a muddy mess.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
jksman said:
To bring this back to light.. I connected the sub amp to one of my speakers and there was no sound.

I think the issue is not with the driver of the sub, but probably with the amp? Any ideas here, or is this something that may require a factory component?

If it's not the driver (Sam told you how to check it above) then it's your amp. You either get a new amp from the manufacturer or you get a replacement amp. That could either be another plate amp you would have to try to fit into the enclosure (could be tricky) or an external amp and make the sub passive. To make it passive you just keep the dead amp in the sub and just run some new wire to the sub driver directly. Just hook those wires to an amp that sits on the shelf and you're back in business.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks