What's new

Is this really the best time to invest in Atmos technology? (2 Viewers)

citywalker

Agent
Real Name
Marco
Everything is correct :)
If you have a subwoofer, then fronts may be SMALL too. Doesn't matter, if they are floorstanders.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Listen...

Want to thank ALL OF YOU for your help throughout all these pages and pages of my confusion.

Actually, when it came time to do the hookup this morning, I pretty much said "F-it" and just took a chance with the connections I made to the amp. I went into the Denon receiver setup and it took care of everything for me.

I am really impressed with the Denon 7200WA and the Outlaw 5000 amp.

I plan to do a big write-up on this experience within the next few days in a separate thread.

I do want to say that despite the naysayers who said my room was too small (and that was not just on this forum), I just completed watching JOHN WICK (a totally insanely great film) and a bunch of Atmos designed demos -- and I must say -- the results were AMAZING!

I am convinced that anybody with any sized room can do Atmos. A low ceiling absolutely does not cause overhead speakers to cancel out the sides or rears.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Woohoo! :D

Having the last post on the prior page announce you were off to watch John Wick on the new system was a real cliff-hanger, Ron! The next page couldn't resolve fast enough as I was anxious to hear your results.

I'm thrilled you are happy with the results!

I plan to do a big write-up on this experience within the next few days in a separate thread.

Please be sure to post a link to that write-up here! :thumbsup:

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Ron, if you have not seen Sicario yet, give it a spin. It's the most impressive Atmos track I've heard so far and the movie es muy excellente!

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
This thread has been very helpful and a great read. We just purchased a new home and are planning on turning the 26x24' unfinished space above the 2 car garage in to our theater room. We have high vaulted ceilings and have been going back on forth on Atmos or a conventional 7.1 theater set up. I think I'm sold on Atmos and think we should just go for it now rather than later. Thanks for all the great info!

Greg

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
So just today I got an Atmos playback device, and hadn't really planned ahead and gotten a stockpile of Atmos disks. What should be on my required testing list????

I have:
Mad Max Blu/UHD
Expendables 3 UHD
Ender's Game UHD
San Andreas Blu

My Gravity disk doesnt seem to have Atmos, will have to rebuy.

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
By the way...

Upgrading to Atmos is costing me even more money.

Was getting audio dropouts on some Atmos titles. Found out the older Oppo models do not support Atmos through discs that do seamless branching. So, I am looking to upgrade to the Oppo 103.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Yeah Warner really screwed that title up. They should have reissued a 3D release with all the audio extras.

I can't agree/like that comment enough!! To this day, a Silent Space Edition in 3D would be an instant purchase for me. But I won't watch this movie in 2D.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
By the way...

Upgrading to Atmos is costing me even more money.

Was getting audio dropouts on some Atmos titles. Found out the older Oppo models do not support Atmos through discs that do seamless branching. So, I am looking to upgrade to the Oppo 103.

Sorry to hear that if Oppo 4K player was out I would make you a great deal on my Oppo 103.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
The most amazing sequences I've heard so far are the B-24 scenes in Unbroken. Sicario was spectacular a few days back. The second edition of Gravity is good material. The scenes at the beginning of the movie before the space junk hits the fan are revealing since there's not so much competition as later in the film. You really think George Clooney is jet-pack flyin' right above you. He pans around and you can just follow him above ya. The second edition of American Sniper has Atmos and it's pretty decent.

I hope the second edition of The Martian, which is coming on BD and UHD-Bluray, will have Atmos. If it does, I'm gonna get it.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Sorry to hear that if Oppo 4K player was out I would make you a great deal on my Oppo 103.

Oppo is due to have a 4k player out by year's end. I just spoke with them.

It's a tough decision whether to buy now or wait. However, I am not certain I will be a 4k owner by year's end.

So, right now, I will probably buy the 103 and if I have to purchase a 4k player Oppo unit next year, then so be it.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
The most amazing sequences I've heard so far are the B-24 scenes in Unbroken. Sicario was spectacular a few days back. The second edition of Gravity is good material. The scenes at the beginning of the movie before the space junk hits the fan are revealing since there's not so much competition as later in the film. You really think George Clooney is jet-pack flyin' right above you. He pans around and you can just follow him above ya. The second edition of American Sniper has Atmos and it's pretty decent.

I hope the second edition of The Martian, which is coming on BD and UHD-Bluray, will have Atmos. If it does, I'm gonna get it.

It doesn't, pre the release info I read still just 7.1... Fox is really making me mad. :(

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
It doesn't, pre the release info I read still just 7.1... Fox is really making me mad. :(

Even if Fox is gonna push DTS-X, then they should provide that. The Martian had Atmos in selected theatres, So, that would be easy to provide.

Fox has been irritating me for the past 30 years or more. I don't let them raise my blood pressure anymore but every time I sit down in the wet closet, I imagine they're below me.... ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks